Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 13-08-2021, 02:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I did my degree in SG. It depends on what you want, most overseas unis will allow the average SG "good" student to obtain a 2.1 or 1st quite easily, due to the lower bellcurve and grading schemes.

If you intend to practice abroad - I have realised that "lousier" universities in the UK/US still allow people to apply for the Magic Circle UK or White Shoe US firms just because the firms are much larger (and can afford to take more ppl) in their home countries. Most of these firms care more about the degree class than the university you attended.

If you intend to practice in SG - it's the same as above, you should choose a local university since there will be so much less admin and additional qualification requirements (i.e. no need to take part A).

Even at its worst, everyone can find a TC, it's just that alot of ppl are unwilling to TC at a firm they think is beneath them (i.e. small firms or chinatown firms). But from my reckoning, all of my classmates were able to secure TCs relatively easily at mid-size or better firms.

In any case, although you shouldn't stay in small firms too long if you want to earn more money, it's still a relatively okay option, since you can ask for a cut of the fees you bill in a small firm (meaning 15-20k is very achievable in smaller firms), whereas you'll have to slog for years and years to try and make equity partner at a big firm (although the rewards will be much greater if you make it).

In terms of scoring well, and studying, that's really up to your personal capacity and intellect. But tbh, law is more about being hardworking and consistent in studying, so you'll have to ask yourself if you're ready to switch your mindset.
hello thank you again for your response.

my lawyer friend used to sigh and say 'oh back to working in chinatown again'. lol it means absolutely nothing to people outside the industry but now i know. thanks for the insights.

i can't enter the local universities so i am looking at australian universities (umelb, usyd, uwa, monash). will others dissuade me from doing it because of this?

legal industry seems well protected from excessive competition especially with the new requirements recently. is it really to ensure quality or is it to curb supply?

can i safely assume that the future earning potential is there after crossing all these hurdles (honours, part a/b, trainings) and having two years exp?