Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 12-08-2021, 08:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why is this trolling?
Because the bad reviews on Emily Tan have already surfaced in previous posts. Therefore it wasn't clear whether the reference of her was done in earnest.

Old 12-08-2021, 11:19 PM
Unregistered

Who are some chio assocs?

Old 12-08-2021, 11:30 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
More complicated than that. It also depends on the candidate not leaving within a certain period of time, passing probation etc. Can be quite complicated.
Yea.. and this obviously only applies to international firms. Some US firms pay USD30,000 - USD50,000 in referral fees to their associates, albeit with some conditions. Hell would freeze over before B4 firms do the same (except A&G I think). Lol some B4 partners will even repeatedly hassle their associates to scout their friends/seniors to join their team (especially those with high attrition rates), which just reeks of self-entitlement.

Old 12-08-2021, 11:37 PM
Unregistered

Been having issues posting here so hopefully this post gets through.

Some points to take note of when working with a recruiter:

1. A good recruiter listens to what you have to say and actively seeks roles suitable for you (as vs asking you to apply for every role that pops up in the market).

2. Look at whether the recruiter has a good track record of placing hires in the team. This will typically indicate the recruiter has a good relationship with the hiring partners. Some miss the nail on the head completely because they do not understand what type of candidate the partner is seeking.

3. Do not randomly mass send your CV to multiple recruiters - you do not want a recruiter to send your CV for a role you did not consent to (whilst rare, this does happen). Consider having a chat with the recruiter and testing their market knowledge/understanding of the firm and the hiring team BEFORE deciding to work with them.

4. Recruiters (especially agencies) may put forth many candidates for each role. Be aware of information asymmetry - some recruiters play candidates off each other for highly competitive roles by sending the weaker ones in and then asking them the questions asked by the partners to more adequately prepare their stronger candidates.
Old 13-08-2021, 12:28 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

1. A good recruiter listens to what you have to say and actively seeks roles suitable for you (as vs asking you to apply for every role that pops up in the market).

2. Look at whether the recruiter has a good track record of placing hires in the team. This will typically indicate the recruiter has a good relationship with the hiring partners. Some miss the nail on the head completely because they do not understand what type of candidate the partner is seeking.

3. Do not randomly mass send your CV to multiple recruiters - you do not want a recruiter to send your CV for a role you did not consent to (whilst rare, this does happen). Consider having a chat with the recruiter and testing their market knowledge/understanding of the firm and the hiring team BEFORE deciding to work with them.

4. Recruiters (especially agencies) may put forth many candidates for each role. Be aware of information asymmetry - some recruiters play candidates off each other for highly competitive roles by sending the weaker ones in and then asking them the questions asked by the partners to more adequately prepare their stronger candidates.
Great post, thanks!
Old 13-08-2021, 12:29 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Good points, would also add on:

Always keep in mind that the recruiter's priority is to get u a job and themselves a fee, but it may not be the job you want. Getting paid less is still better than not getting paid to them. So, take the things they say about a role with a pinch of salt, especially if you find yourself unenticed initially.

Old 13-08-2021, 11:18 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yea.. and this obviously only applies to international firms. Some US firms pay USD30,000 - USD50,000 in referral fees to their associates, albeit with some conditions. Hell would freeze over before B4 firms do the same (except A&G I think). Lol some B4 partners will even repeatedly hassle their associates to scout their friends/seniors to join their team (especially those with high attrition rates), which just reeks of self-entitlement.
Good caveat but, of course! Who would need a recruiter to get into Big 4 LOL
Old 13-08-2021, 02:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I did my degree in SG. It depends on what you want, most overseas unis will allow the average SG "good" student to obtain a 2.1 or 1st quite easily, due to the lower bellcurve and grading schemes.

If you intend to practice abroad - I have realised that "lousier" universities in the UK/US still allow people to apply for the Magic Circle UK or White Shoe US firms just because the firms are much larger (and can afford to take more ppl) in their home countries. Most of these firms care more about the degree class than the university you attended.

If you intend to practice in SG - it's the same as above, you should choose a local university since there will be so much less admin and additional qualification requirements (i.e. no need to take part A).

Even at its worst, everyone can find a TC, it's just that alot of ppl are unwilling to TC at a firm they think is beneath them (i.e. small firms or chinatown firms). But from my reckoning, all of my classmates were able to secure TCs relatively easily at mid-size or better firms.

In any case, although you shouldn't stay in small firms too long if you want to earn more money, it's still a relatively okay option, since you can ask for a cut of the fees you bill in a small firm (meaning 15-20k is very achievable in smaller firms), whereas you'll have to slog for years and years to try and make equity partner at a big firm (although the rewards will be much greater if you make it).

In terms of scoring well, and studying, that's really up to your personal capacity and intellect. But tbh, law is more about being hardworking and consistent in studying, so you'll have to ask yourself if you're ready to switch your mindset.
hello thank you again for your response.

my lawyer friend used to sigh and say 'oh back to working in chinatown again'. lol it means absolutely nothing to people outside the industry but now i know. thanks for the insights.

i can't enter the local universities so i am looking at australian universities (umelb, usyd, uwa, monash). will others dissuade me from doing it because of this?

legal industry seems well protected from excessive competition especially with the new requirements recently. is it really to ensure quality or is it to curb supply?

can i safely assume that the future earning potential is there after crossing all these hurdles (honours, part a/b, trainings) and having two years exp?
Old 13-08-2021, 03:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Because the bad reviews on Emily Tan have already surfaced in previous posts. Therefore it wasn't clear whether the reference of her was done in earnest.
I see, clearly i had yet to read through all the posts about Emily Tan
Old 13-08-2021, 03:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yeah agree. She placed me into a us firm.
You agree that she’s chio too?