Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2021, 11:41 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

In any case, although you shouldn't stay in small firms too long if you want to earn more money, it's still a relatively okay option, since you can ask for a cut of the fees you bill in a small firm (meaning 15-20k is very achievable in smaller firms), whereas you'll have to slog for years and years to try and make equity partner at a big firm (although the rewards will be much greater if you make it).
Excellent response. I would add that despite the ad nauseum hooha about lack of TCs, there is actually no lack of TC and even NQ jobs for lawyers, (because >4PqE attrition is so bloody intense!). When law grads complain they can't find jobs, they mean they can't find jobs in a law firm that they like/think is good or reputable or prestigious enough for them.

Nobody I know who was looking for a TC in year 3 didn't manage to get 1 by year 4, and nobody who wasn't retained didn't manage to get a job in 1 or 2 months time.

I have many friends who started out in small Chinatown or CBD shops eventually going on to good outcomes like better firms, or become VPs or ADs in adjacent industries like banking, insurance, marine, etc.