Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2021, 04:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wow that's the level of paycut which I declined. 2k+ is so much! Really no regrets?
What is your age range and side hustle? I imagine if you are in your late 20z early 30s, there is still runlength for progression vs someone who joined at 40yo.
Age discrimination is real!
Mid 30s, F, 2 kids. Looking back, no regrets (for mental/physical/family/emotion well-being). Of course, during that time there were plenty of doubts at the back of my head (could this be a stupid move?...). My ex-client contacted me to support them (as a hustle) after realizing I left my role and I got more referrals/assignments till I had to turn down many. When my kids are older in a few years and if there are still demand, I may focus full-time on my hustle as I realize the per hour rate is very high as compared to a full-time role.

I do not think it is age discrimination lah. I met quite a lot of colleagues around my age in my organization that are still at pretty junior level because they joined without relevant skillset but just need an iron rice bowl and comfortable work environment, to focus on other aspects of life. For reference, my manager (2 job grades above) is my age and is drawing around 7-8k, even if my pay is doubled, I will not want to be in that role.