Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2021, 04:44 PM
Unregistered 25

Default Advice for an NQ

Hello, junior lawyer called in 2020 looking for some advice from the laojiaos here

I am currently working in one of the pseudo international firms in a corp practice. Pay is decent for a junior assoc but hours are long (regularly 2/3 am and havent had a day of leave since starting as a trainee). It is not so much the long hours which are the deal breaker but rather also I find that my own development has stagnated and also I dont see a very long runway for the area of law I am practising.

I have been looking around and considering my options and grateful if a senior here can offer some advice from a career development perspective:

(1) moving to another practice in a B4 firm - from what I understand, despite meagre pay for the long hours, working in a B4 firm really builds up the skills and competency levels of the juniors. was wondering whether it is timely for a soon-to-be 1PQE to join one of the more up-and-coming practices such as funds or fintech etc.

(2) moving to the same/similar practice in an international firm - pay is definitely better and I understand that a number of international firms are hiring associates at my seniority because I am nearing that 2 year mark since I started training which is the end of the 2-year training period for a UK lawyer.

Thanks in advance!