Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - NCS (SingTel subsidiary)
View Single Post
Old 13-07-2021, 03:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Of course that is going to happen. Put yourself in the shoes of your management. Lets say this employee comes to u and requests for counter offer. You will have these thoughts:
Can i afford to lose him? What exactly is his job scope and how long do i need to retain him until i can finally let him go? Eg. Is he doing crucial work on this project? How long is this project? Are there someone who i can onboard and he can transfer knowledge to this person fast?

Lets say there is no one and the project is coming to an end in 2months. I only need to retain this person for that 2 months. Lets give him what he wants, eg. 30% increment. And get rid of him after 2 months. That 30% will be more than enough to tide him over that other role, and will be high enough such that he feels appreciated etc and wont be too much of a cost to the company since im planning to get rid of him in 2 months.

You may think it is cold hearted etc but this is the reality. Im a manager. And whenever attrition is happening and candidate asks for counter offer, these are the considerations we would have.
Have to agree. Once put on table, very unlikely for both parties to pretend it never end.
Mgmt will also start to preapre for your replacement, either a new hire or someone in the company to "take over" you in case you leave again.

This is affect trust