Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 27-06-2021, 10:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for your post. May I ask which specialty you are in?
However I would reply to your post by saying there is currently a glut of residents in most specialties with a bottleneck at the end for consultant posts. As an above average resident myself I'm already resigned to the fact that I have to spend years as a SSR. Why should foreign-born doctors (since most foreigners took up PRs but did not serve NS) be given a priority in consultant posts when they didn't contribute to nation building that Singaporeans did? If the resumes of a Singapore-born and foreign doctor are the same, shouldn't MOHH give the Singapore-born doctor priority for consultant posts?
I am in one of the niche, more competitive specialties. Unfortunately, that's the way of life in most occupations, not just medicine.

To your point regarding foreign-trained physicians not serving NS, I am sure you realize that SG women do not serve NS too. Do you feel like your female colleagues are also not deserving of consultant positions because they did not serve NS?

Having read through hundreds of residency applications over the years, I can assure you that CVs are almost NEVER equal. Some may favour publications over awards, and vice versa. But they are almost never equal.