Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 17-04-2021, 02:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Fyi, NUS and NTU are not as accepting of diplomas as you think. Every year less than 10 Polytechnic students enter medicine in NUS. I’m not sure if that number as risen, but it definitely has not risen significantly. I also never said that doctoring was like Grey’s Anatomy. It’s bold of you to assume that. Even if my GPA isn’t excellent enough now, it does not mean that my undergraduate GPA would not be for postgraduate medicine. Nonetheless, I would like to thank you for opening my eyes to the toxic side of the medical industry in Singapore.

Its not toxic for med schools to set some minimum academic standards for entry into medicine! What's so difficult to understand?!

Coming from someone who actually sound s rather petulant and entitled - its a bit rich of you to accuse the "medical industry in Singapore" of being "toxic" !

So med schools are supposed to take anybody who insists they have a burning passion to be a doctor regardless of grades? They're just supposed to take your word for it that you can cut it intellectually and not be burnt out?

The fact of the matter is this - entry standards for full paying Aussie med schools are EXTREMELY lax. If you have been rejected on that basis, it should be a fair indicator that med school will be EXTREMELY challenging for you.

As with any course of study or job, academic performance is a rough (some would say blunt) proxy for one's ability, but it usually is an adequate indicator.

If you're so convinced that medicine its within your capabilities, then go excel in undergrad. You don't need to prove anything to us here. Who you need to convince is whatever postgrad admissions committee you're gonna apply to.