Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Old 17-04-2021, 02:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Fyi, NUS and NTU are not as accepting of diplomas as you think. Every year less than 10 Polytechnic students enter medicine in NUS. Iím not sure if that number as risen, but it definitely has not risen significantly. I also never said that doctoring was like Greyís Anatomy. Itís bold of you to assume that. Even if my GPA isnít excellent enough now, it does not mean that my undergraduate GPA would not be for postgraduate medicine. Nonetheless, I would like to thank you for opening my eyes to the toxic side of the medical industry in Singapore.

Its not toxic for med schools to set some minimum academic standards for entry into medicine! What's so difficult to understand?!

Coming from someone who actually sound s rather petulant and entitled - its a bit rich of you to accuse the "medical industry in Singapore" of being "toxic" !

So med schools are supposed to take anybody who insists they have a burning passion to be a doctor regardless of grades? They're just supposed to take your word for it that you can cut it intellectually and not be burnt out?

The fact of the matter is this - entry standards for full paying Aussie med schools are EXTREMELY lax. If you have been rejected on that basis, it should be a fair indicator that med school will be EXTREMELY challenging for you.

As with any course of study or job, academic performance is a rough (some would say blunt) proxy for one's ability, but it usually is an adequate indicator.

If you're so convinced that medicine its within your capabilities, then go excel in undergrad. You don't need to prove anything to us here. Who you need to convince is whatever postgrad admissions committee you're gonna apply to.

Old 17-04-2021, 03:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Fyi, NUS and NTU are not as accepting of diplomas as you think. Every year less than 10 Polytechnic students enter medicine in NUS. Iím not sure if that number as risen, but it definitely has not risen significantly. I also never said that doctoring was like Greyís Anatomy. Itís bold of you to assume that. Even if my GPA isnít excellent enough now, it does not mean that my undergraduate GPA would not be for postgraduate medicine. Nonetheless, I would like to thank you for opening my eyes to the toxic side of the medical industry in Singapore.
Cfm more now.
My time was 1-3.
Coz affirmative action. Got kpi, if nv accept enough poly students doesnt look good for diversity.

Old 17-04-2021, 03:29 PM
Unregistered

Passion is fake lah.
All abt $$.
I see too many in their admission essays say save the world, work for free.
But end up become money grabber.

Ultimately the men and women are selfish one.
I was one of them.

Say im willing to work for free. But during ho year, i complain quite a bit. Even though i didnt throw mc. A bit tired of handling relatives. In the end, chose a non patient facing spec.

If you cut doc pay by 20%, cfm everybody unhappy. Talk abt altruism.

But you must understand that admission committees are also human.
They understand the realities of life, and they have a job to do. so generally the better results and better cca will get a chance plus then right or wrong throw in abit of affirmative action.

And keep gender roughly equal.
This way can maintain quality, answer newspaper if they question about diversity efforts.

Old 17-04-2021, 04:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
There are seriously so many egoistic snobs here. There are many doctors who pursue an undergraduate degree followed by postgraduate medicine as well, because they could not enter undergraduate medicine. Are you saying that none of them are academically inclined and donít deserve to be doctors? Some of you guys are ridiculous. Thanks for showing me the elitist side of medicine in Singapore. I appreciate you broadening my horizons.
perhaps check the stats- how many post graduates actually actively practise vs get pigeon holed in clinical research. it was never a secret that you need good grades to get into medicine. why would singaporean parents push their kids so hard in primary school with the aspiration for them to become doctors down the line? If you dont even how to play the game, then continue with your wistful thinking. also not getting into aus or mid tier uk med school really means your aptitude is no where acceptable. it isnt ego, it's hard truths.
Old 17-04-2021, 04:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
perhaps check the stats- how many post graduates actually actively practise vs get pigeon holed in clinical research. it was never a secret that you need good grades to get into medicine. why would singaporean parents push their kids so hard in primary school with the aspiration for them to become doctors down the line? If you dont even how to play the game, then continue with your wistful thinking. also not getting into aus or mid tier uk med school really means your aptitude is no where acceptable. it isnt ego, it's hard truths.
also you want surgery, it's such a coveted spot among top medics (though an average sane medic would rather a life than commit to surgery), how are you to even place yourself when youre nowhere near them.
Old 17-04-2021, 06:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
10 is not bad liao. You must compare Vs how many poly grads who applied right? No certificate of merit no talk la. When I was an engineering undergraduate I had poly COM holder who do tutorial until cry and want to give up after 1st semester. That's the difference in academic standard between diploma holders and A level holders. It's a reality.

Bold of me to assume? Nah. Not bold at all, just knowing from experience only
Toxic? Ya, we suppose to cuddle you and encourage you in your delusions.
Paiseh, I'm not your laopeh nor your saf counsellor. Suck it up dude. 没有料不要骗自己。

I tell u la, when I did post-grad I had a classmate who is a sg boy. Got like ccd at A levels and can't even get into a mainstream undergrad Australia uni. Father is rich and die die want to him to do medicine. So did Australia undergrad then did post grad med.
Did pass but come back sg Internship do 3 years also cannot finish last I heard.
Spend 8 years of his life and probably 500k on school fees and cannot even finish internship in sg.
After that spend another 3 years. 11 years of his life to nought.

I had really good charsiew rice that day at fook kin and I was telling wife, if u had the skill to make this charsiew u will surely be very successful. 俄不死。 Surely u work hard for 11 years , u can also make char siew of this standard.
You want to be a char siew or make good char siew...you think about it.
Free and good advice dun 狗咬吕洞宾,不识好人心. Toxic ? Hardly.

Old 18-04-2021, 10:10 AM
Unregistered

Smile

Quote:
There are seriously so many egoistic snobs here. There are many doctors who pursue an undergraduate degree followed by postgraduate medicine as well, because they could not enter undergraduate medicine. Are you saying that none of them are academically inclined and donít deserve to be doctors? Some of you guys are ridiculous. Thanks for showing me the elitist side of medicine in Singapore. I appreciate you broadening my horizons.
Hmm how about sitting and consider which aspects of medicine you are most attracted to? If it is the helping people aspect, the human aspect, what about nursing or allied health professions? These may be even more fulfilling than the cut-throat world of medicine.
Not that doctors are all snobs...its just that sometimes the pressure of the system moulds people to become snappy and short tempered. At least this is what I think
If you are looking for a profession to "help people", para-medical and social work is way more satisfying honestly.

Consider alternatives like Dr in Nursing or PharmD, or even TCM practitioner. There is a world of opportunities out there to explore. Don't give up! Of course continue to pursue the doctor dream, but in life having a second plan never hurts
Old 18-04-2021, 12:28 PM
Unregistered

Hi all, how much does an NSF MO make while serving NS?
Old 18-04-2021, 01:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Why bother with naysayers? If truly medicine is your dream just work towards it. Dont bother what others say. Chase your dream of it is truly what you want. Inner self belief and dogged determination.
Old 18-04-2021, 06:05 PM
Unregistered

yup. never say die.
we live a life of service.
believe in yourself you can achieve.

rmb to study hard. sleep 8 hours a day.
study 8 hours a day.
do 100 push up, 100 sit up and run 10km.

you will be a great doc in no time.