Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Pay as an accounts assistant
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 04:09 PM
madgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbiah View Post
hi madgoat. thank you so much. your reply has definitely let me learn a lot more on how everything works.

my last paper for my degree wil be somewhere in November, which probably means that I will only get my official certificate a few months after that. Do you think my pay and designation will increase together with the cert? or no? Please advise.

Thank you all for your input so far. (:
In most companies, getting a cert does not trigger any automatic salary increases. A common mistake among employees in similar scenario is to march to their bosses and basically demand for an increment based on new qualifications and "fairness" compared to their other degree peers.

I think it's a bad idea. Boss want to say yes also no strong justification to HR, say no everybody face black black and duno how to get down the stage. Keep quiet and procrastinate the whole thing become festering wound affecting your work relationship.

What you need to do now is to covertly note down the various duties your degree Finance Executive peers are doing. Also be on the lookout on areas around your immediate scope of work where you can enlarge or move up the value chain.

What you want to do is that once you get your cert in early 2012, go up to the boss and make a case in the following sequence:

1) Background, i.e. inform decision maker you are now a degree holder in Accountancy
2) Explain in detail the work the Finance Executives are doing and why you are up to the task
3) Provide examples on your everyday work where you can further contribute [note: move up knowledge chain, not increase amount of work load] with your new found qualifications

If boss, supportive at this point. Congratulations! If he is hesitant, proceed:

4) Offer a 3 month trial period where you move on to a larger role. Say you fine with just a token increment for the company to try you out. Agree that if after 3 months they are satisfied with your performance to have a salary review to mark you up to a typical degree fresh grad.

If boss still say no, politely explain you understand. Then start the CV pumping!

Bottom line is you need to help the boss to justify to HR or big boss, cannot just go in with a "should be automatic mah" attitude. Follow above no guarantees for success, but it will increase your chances significantly compared to do nothing or barge in and demand.