Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Property Agents make A LOT of Money
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The market is never fundamentally overpriced or underpriced. Property is more akin to lottery, rather than blackjack, in the sense that even if you haven't seen a number come out for a long time, the odds of it coming up is neither higher nor lower than a number which comes out frequently.
I havent read this thread for awhile and am surprised that it is no longer about income of real estate professionals.

I will just like to add my view that investment is not gambling, gambling is also not an investment. Some people buy 4D on the pretext that it is investment, I think they dont understand the fundamental difference.

Property is a fixed asset so I agree with one view that it will never be reduce to zero value. Also although many point out that property has become so expensive, it is not likely that sellers will sell very much below their purchase price and crash the market extensively. This is unless, the market is so bad that unemployment rate is so high that bankuptcy increase and people need to cash out. Otherwise even in moderate bad market, nobody with their pride as property owner will sell very much lower. they may be willing to take a loss, but there is also hold on to a minimum selling price.

In anycase, as someone approaching my 40s and having work in various industries, my conclusion is that different people have different preference to investment vehicles. I have a friend who is quite a well to do self-employed and can jolly well afford private property but still remain in her HDB because she is just not inclined to private property. Also some people who are really good in maths/stats/timing do well in stock markets/forex etc. They make money in goodtimes and bad times. Some other, are serious property investors and can own 4-5 properties at one go.

So I would say go with the investment that you most love and understand. Every type of investment vehicle can make money but every individual has to find his little specialty.