Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - PhD salary
Thread: PhD salary
View Single Post
Old 31-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am amazed by your post. Shouldn't a research have an open mind? Why would people act maliciously just because you have a PhD?

I don't think the first thing that comes the mind of colleagues I worked with, is that I am a PhD. Earn your colleagues' respect by showing that you're worth your salt and I am sure they would give you yours.

As for interviews, how do you know that the hiring manager does not have a PhD? If the reason they don't hire you is because of your PhD, why would they waste their time to even interview you? Some decisions not to hire were not due to their PhD, but their comm skills or expectations.
For interviews, of cause you can know the manager's education background. Do not forget you also can ask them question during the interview. I agree with you, some of the decision is made because of comm skill or other reason. But I do meet some people not in these way.

Why would people act maliciously just because you have a PhD?
Because just like someone said here, phd promote faster and get paid more if they work harder too! I am not saying every people act maliciously becasue of that. some of them are nice and helpful but some of them are in another way. But I guess same situation are everywhere. Not only phd face the problem.

For a phd, my suggestion is that apply for a job they require a phd. Do not take low positions.