Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2020, 11:37 PM
Unregistered

Hi!
I have been accepted to a MBBS course in Australia and if I choose to attend, I will graduate in 2025. However, although I find Medicine interesting, I wonder if it will be worth to spend at least 500k on the degree, especially if my end goal is to come back to Singapore and practice.
My main questions will be:
-Although I know I should not be going into Medicine for the pay, in this case, my parents are paying 500k for my education, so I will want to be able to at least earn decent money when/if I get back. How long will it take to say become a certified GP and how much can you earn?
- Many have mentioned in this thread that housemanship for overseas grad may not be easy to get anymore, considering our increased local med intake, and it is getting increasingly competitive. I have also read online that the full impact of LKC grads will be realized in 2023, do you think by 2025, I still stand a chance of getting PGY1 in Singapore?
- Even if I do, how will the progress from PGY1 be like? If I want to specialize, such as in OBGYN or Pediatrics for example, how hard will it be? Will I be stuck as an MO with bad working hours unable to progress for a long time? There are many comments implying that both specialty market and GP market is getting saturated, will it become worse in 5 years time??
- In private practice, hospitals, is there a good working environment? In terms of hospital politics, seniors' guidance etc.
- Lastly, how easy is it to actually make a severe mistake that can cause you to lose your medical license or affect your career progress?

I do not plan on staying on in Australia as well as they are also currently having an internship crisis from what I heard. Furthermore, I enjoy the safety and food in Singapore too much and will want to come back and settle down here. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you