Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - I versus Foreign Talent
View Single Post
Old 20-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inneart View Post
Adduce the source of the information that a lousier foreigner wins a scholarship over a better Singaporean. This is highly dubious. Foreigners have bonds to clear, don't forget that.

An ideal citizen does not have to be of the same mind as his/her government.
If you read my initial post, I stated that ONLY the mediocre or genuinely lazy ones procrastinate YET casts a shallow perspective on himself/herself. A card must be dealt multiple times in order to truly grasp the game.
Want proof that foreign students have it better? Plenty of proof
NUS Denies Scholarship to Top Local Talent Opinion TEMASEK REVIEW EMERITUS
Ex-Teacher: Discrimination of S’poreans starts from secondary school Letters TEMASEK REVIEW EMERITUS

Bond? Hahahahaha!
I personally know a Hong Kong scholar whose parents were her guarantors. She decided to leave, never serving a single day of her bond here. The family is based in HK, and never paid back the bond value. She is now working in HK. Recently she visited Singapore, evidently she has no problems re-entering the country.

I know Mauritius scholar A. Mauritius scholar B was his guarantor, and vice versa. Scholar A worked here for one year and decided to leave. Both A and B left Singapore, nobody paid back the remaining bond value. Scholar A is now working in Canada.

Personally, I would prefer that foreigners are not bonded at all because they compete with locals for jobs. But that would make a mockery out of the taxpayers monies given to these foreigners to study here. But in the light of bond-breaking scholars that go scot-free anyway, we are already making a mockery of ourselves.

Compare bond breaking by foreigners who Singaporeans. I know three (and counting) Singaporeans who broke their bond, each paid five-figure sums back. Is it because they and their guarantors are Singaporeans and are easily tracked down?

I believe that salary.sg is frequented by the above-average Singaporean who is probably better educated, better-paid and better-off, with family and friends who are comfortable. While you may have an easy life, and wonder what the fuss is about, be aware of and do not forget the fears and struggles of the average Singaporean:
Support Site for The Unemployed|Support Site for The Unemployed
The Online Citizen - A Community of Singaporeans
TEMASEK REVIEW EMERITUS – Singapore’s Leading Social-Political Blog – ?????

The better-off in society will always have it fine. They have the means, skill and the mobility to go to a better place in the world if they want to. Its the average person and the needy that we must help, and not make things worse off for them. For where in the world can the average person rightfully expect help, except in his own country? Yet its so different in Singapore.