Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Engineer to banking
View Single Post
Old 24-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Unregistered

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Ah since you are young, and trained as an engineer (like me, and I have some time to type) I'm going to add to this. Even though you have 3rd class hons, that's not very good but its certainly not the end. You don't need to have good grades to be rich. All you need to do is
- don't spend money unnecessarily, save as much as you can
- try to find some alternative income stream such as a small business or trading or whatever to increase your overall income. Don't depend on salary alone.
- buy property and stocks during a downturn
Do the above and you'll be set for life. Easier said than done, but its a proven way.

Why do I encourage you to go overseas? I've been in the UK for some time now. Previously spent all my time in Singapore, and its only since I came here that my eyes opened. Previously I thought that Singapore is great, its safe, efficient, my family and friends are here, I'm not earning that much but I'm OK. I thought that life overseas is expensive and taxes are high. Then I came here and realised that
- 2000 pounds (4000 SGD) can buy you a second hand 1.8L car. No COE means you can drive that car as long as you want.
- 80,000 pounds can buy you a 2 bedroom apartment
- online shopping, groceries are cheap. Cheaper than in SG.
- its less crowded, and UK is very scenic
- tax may be high (around 30% perhaps for a professional), BUT healthcare is FREE, and there is pension

In Singapore
- COE alone is 50,000SGD now. Add cost of car and its close to 100,000. And I can only drive the car for 10 years. But I need a car to start a family!
- pay 500,000 or more for a pigeonhole to live in
- its hot, its crowded, its going to get more crowded
- no pension, healthcare is not free

You are probably better off working and settling down overseas.
Thanks for your time to write such a thoughtful reply. To be honest, I would like to base myself in Singapore, although going overseas to work is a good idea