Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Engineer to banking
View Single Post
Old 24-06-2011, 05:01 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am a third class local uni engine grad and went to look for banking operation job in a recruitment agency today.

I was told there are no permanent positions for my background and qualifications, and banks only offer contract to no experienced people like me. As such, the consultant said there is a $2400 private bank job opening (performance reporting) in the back office which is roughly 7-8 months contracy.

I would like to ask for people with my background, how much will be a fair salary? what you guys think of $2400? and what are your views on contract (7-8 months) ? and do you think I should find permanent one or do I stand no chance for permanent?

Thanks if anyone would like to express the market rate for back office operations with my background, as I really do not know which type of pay is acceptable or high or low.

Thanks to anyone who read this
Well, I don't claim to know much about banking, but all I have heard about contract jobs is that they lead to no where and its very difficult to get converted to a permanent position.

Hopefully someone else can answer your question about a bank job.

However, since you are so young I'm going to give u some advice, take it with an open mind. Try to find a professional job somewhere else, in US or UK or Australia, where you will get a higher pay, and more importantly, your purchasing power will be much higher than in Singapore. Work life balance is likely to be better too. You'll be able to afford the necessities in life such as a decent apartment and a car much sooner. You'll find that things are cheaper. Since you are young, you have time on your side and its easier to get a visa as well.