Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Engineer to banking
View Single Post
Old 23-06-2011, 04:58 PM
anon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi anon, seem like u speak from personal experience. Are you a Chem engineer who switched to banking? May I know your background? It is a
Generalization that all Chem engineers would want to go shell and exxon. The two giants can afford to hire the best but they too would have to put up wif politics,
Competition when promotion is performance based. It is very sad to see
You are pit against your own colleagues.
I'm just a lucky local grad that got converted into a full time program in the back office of one of the BBs via an internship. My degree's in IT in one of the "big 3" uni, so you shd be able to guess what kind of back office work i'm gonna be involved in.

Am i speaking from experience? I would think so. Similarly to chem engine, a lot of IT grads I know dream of working in a bank. when asked why, all of them told me because of the remuneration and the glam of working there. No one ever said it's because it'll open opportunities for them to learn or it'll let them work in one of the most secured/robust/dynamic environment in the world. No one.

It's always about the pay and the pay and the pay plus the glam. It got me really sick because i interned in a bank. I agree that most of them pay better than those companies in the IT industry, but there's also those that pay much worse. To name one would be the bank that never sleeps, you guys can go check ard, the pay for IT is worse than DSTA or DXO or A*Star. And you slog like a dog for that pay. Are you ready to slog like there's no day and night for a salary that's lower or up to 30% than your friends in stats board putting half or less the effort compared to you?

Becos I worked in a back office environment. It was full of FTs. At one point of time, I was the only local chinese in the whole level. Go figure out how I felt at that point of time. Will you be able to tahan that throughout a long period of time?

If your answer is yes to the above questions, then I'll say go for it. But ask yourself how long can you last in that environment?

It's different for me becos i nv thought abt working in the IB/PB/FO line of the business. I'm happy with what I have in IT because I love it.

My advice would always be manage your expectations accordingly to what you have/possess. As the chinese saying goes, the more you expect, the bigger the disappointment you'll have.