Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 24-05-2020, 07:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I like how this forum disses delisted schools. I am a first class and I am better than NUS 2.2s. My knowledge of the law has contributed to the development of legal principles in Singapore. I break the mould. Although I sometimes sad when I get scolded/abused, I am really smart and although my parents took out a loan to pay for my first class (it wasn't easy, I had to work to get a First), and I failed Part A.

What should I? The firm I'm in has said because I failed they may not offer me retention as I have to wait another year. I got a First/high 2.1 though it was a bona fide mistake. I am sure I am better than the average NUS student. It is not because my friends from delisted schools often fail Part A and it is nothing to do with quality. The marking is horrible. I heard NUS also has a high failure rate for advanced corporate practice.

Anyway, I have a friends and buddies as a delisted school student and he also failed Part A but got retained at a mid sized because he's a white horse. They rescinded his training contract but it is still A-okay. In the end he got retained. Look at the unfairness. WHITE HORSE
I feel like there are some punctuation marks and words missing from whatever you wrote above. And the phrasing is off as well - the point you're trying to make isn't abundantly clear. I hope that your legal writing is better than this.

In any event, a couple of points:

On Part A, I don't think the markers go out to fail anyone, but it does take some time to get used to the assessment system for Part A. The approach is different from those of overseas unis, and perhaps even some modules in local universities. Unfortunately many people slip up, but the best way to react to this is to get up and try again.

On retention and general career success, it really is up to the value you bring to the table / firm. Not that I don't believe you, but if you say that you've contributed to Singapore legal discourse, it should warrant some merit (and consequently, a place in the firm). But on the off chance that your firm has wrongly failed to recognised your merits, then just move on. Across the board law firms aren't irrational - if you're good, you're gonna get a place in a firm and a chance to prove yourself.