Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Engineer to banking
View Single Post
Old 23-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
time and time and time and time again we're seeing this. haven't you seen previous posts or even do some googling on it? this question has been repeated time and time and time again and again and again. the answers and replies are always the same.

banking and finance because of what? the pay? of course you'll be able to move to the finance sector with your qualifications, 2.5k as personal banking associate. now you're gonna say that's not the kind of finance job you're looking for. you're more of the IB or trading or hoping to get some analyst role.

you made your choice when you chose chem engine, prolly because you thought chem engine pays well and you'll be able to get to exxon or shell as a chem engineer. but the sad realization is that they only accept cream of the crop and you, being second lowers, will not be able to get an offer.

please manage your expectations accordingly. and glam and pay isn't every thing in the world. don't think you'll get paid well through easy work in banks. the amount of crap, politics, sweat and hours you have to go through is unimaginable.

if you ever get in, i hope you won't come back here and post a new story saying you hope to change to other sectors cos banking isn't what you thought it to be.
Well said. I always hear these new people come in talk big about being passionate about Finance bla bla, but ask them to do normal jobs in banks, they say "Oh no, I'm talking about the IB, PB type, not the usual ops work".

Why? Because they hear story about big bonus, big pay etc. Ask them what they think makes them so unique and cream of the crop to be able to make the big money and all keep quiet.

Crappy degrees, low class generic MBA, unsuccessful career in some other fields etc. A lot of them don't even qualify as "above average" and the same type are always asking about how to join a field where only the top 0.1% get the jobs.

Please, dream on. And for god's sake grow a brain, you think a real IB who is making 6 figure amount will be so free to advise you in an online forum? Some people.... haiz really duno what to say...