Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 13-11-2019, 02:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think it is a valid concern as some teens are more vulnerable to heavy peer pressure than others and may have difficulty saying no, especially after feeling like they have made a certain level of commitment (e.g. regularly being physically present church services or events, forging what feels like close friendships with people in church) yet don't really want to commit themselves to the religion itself.

But it is a sticky situation as like the original poster said, there is freedom of religion in Singapore, and therefore the extent to which a school can police the practice and the spread of religion outside of the school compound and school hours is very limited. Any actions taken by the school will be under close public scrutiny and there are many dangerous OB markers. As much as the school can accuse the church of proselytisation, the school can also be accused of curtailing freedom of religion.
Hi, I am the original poster. I'm quite thankful to everyone for providing valuable advice about such a situation, and I'm also glad that some of you also share my concerns.

In fact from here, there is actually a greater overarching concern that I have. Our country, and hence our education system, has always allowed for religious freedom, but how open is everyone (including politicians, teachers, SLs) about it? If such "sticky situations" really need to be addressed, are teachers actually allowed to openly discuss it?

We are always told not to touch on religion and LGBT issues, yet students actually already have a lot of knowledge about them, and form their own personal opinions about them. And being teachers, we lack the authority or permission to surface or even address such opinions.

Will there really be a day where our people can discuss such issues openly?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app