Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 06:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Indeed I do. Your post covered my employers, past and present. I generally about the satellite office considerations as well.

There are I think some differences though. Rahmat Lim and A&G Myanmar adopt the same policies as A&G Singapore. They don’t hire and fire, so crappy pay aside you can be assured that your job will survive a recession even if you were in a satellite office. CC is different. They have no qualms about shedding entire satellite offices. We recently shed Jakarta and Bangkok. Only one team from Bangkok successfully transferred to SG, and even that team ported over only the most junior associates. CC SG is currently seen as a strategic hub, and has a huge number of lawyers - more than your average SG midsize firm. This doesn’t however mean that SG won’t be cut in a downturn.

Pay in CC SG and Cavenagh is decent. When you factor in taxes, associate pay here is on par with our London counterparts. Associate pay globally is approximately even, save for CC Beijing (where salaries are inflated to make up for the crappy living environment and pollution), and NY (where salaries need to match the Cravath/Milbank scale). If however you are a born and bred singaporean, you’d be in a better financial situation here in SG, since you can live off your parents and save on accom.
Of course there will be different firms will have different approaches to how well they take care of their satellite offices. However, firm policy can always shift, especially if there is a change in management. My point being that if you worked in CC London, you wouldn't even have the worry in the back of your mind that your office might be closed.

Point taken regarding CC SG pay, but I deliberately compared the MC to SG Big4 because someone working at CC SG would be more equivalent to being in a top US firm's London office (£150k NQ pre-tax). At every level of so-called "prestige", you will reap higher financial benefits in London than in SG.