Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 09:58 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Graduated from local uni with honours 2.1 and found a contract job in the oil&gas with a pathetic pay of 2.4 during probation. My salary was then increased to 2.6 after 3months of probation. I joined because of the brand of the company and thought that it would be easy to convert to perm after a few years.. I am in this company for about 3years and for increment the max they will go is only 3%. In this industry, overtime pay is given to contract staffs regardless of how high your salary is so practically most of them work overtime for the money. After 5pm and during weekends, most of them are just lazing around clocking ot pay.

For my case im fortunate enough to still hold a job but i have been searching for a job since early 2017 till now. I apply to jobs every single day and received about 10 interviews. Recently I just went through 2 rounds of interview at a gov company(my dream job to be working in CS), the 2nd round was shortlisted to 4 candidate so my chances of being selected was narrowed to 25%. Few days ago, I received a rejected email from Career@gov and I was feeling so exhausted and defeated... The feeling of getting the job bcus you have done well and not getting it, it just feels horrible..

I am not gonna let this hinder my career path and I am going to take on toastmasters and other relevant courses to further improve my career.. so bros and sis here, dont give up!! Press on! Best of luck!
Just a question. Why did you start off with 2.4 as a grad? I believe oil n gas has good bonus.

I am in oil and gas and dont think 2.4 is the norm. I believe it is due to contract.