Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - No progression in civil service...
View Single Post
Old 28-02-2018, 09:03 PM
Unregistered

Default Perin Greenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konfidant View Post
9 years working experience, coming up to 10 this year.

I feel like I did make the cut, but I'm constantly being passed over for scholars, who are juniors that I literally mentored. How is it fair for someone who relied on my supervision to be promoted over me?

Plus, I've had headhunters for banks offering me better positions, so I know I've made the cut for the private sector as well. The only thing stopping me is that I like my job, and my team, and of course the stability that comes with a civil service job, but the civil service is simply not offering me renumeration competitive enough to keep me there anymore.

Imagine being passed over for promotion for 3 years, knowing full well the last two candidates weren't better workers than you. I see now that the civil service cares far more about qualifications on paper as opposed to actual performance. As a previous poster mentioned, I guess I was naive thinking I could change civil service culture just by working harder than the scholars.
It is what it is in the civil/public service. Scholars move up because the government believes in trying to get a return on their investment.

You should have spoken to your supervisor to understand what is holding you back if you have not done so. Ultimately, it is what you think you deserve versus what they and the organisation think.

There is another alternative to the private sector. That is a transfer to another Ministry or SB. Have you considered that?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app