Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Investments and Net Worth (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/)
-   -   Whats your net worth (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/817-whats-your-net-worth.html)

Unregistered 16-10-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 17241)
Stocktake 2 mths later
Property: Condo (1M value now, Outstanding loan 451k)
Cash: 94k
Stocks: 5k
CPF: 41k (OA & SA)
Income: 5.2k monthly
Still no car, no kids, and rather frugal in lifestyle.

Looking back, it was a mistake to sell my shares. But I am still bearish on the economy.
In a few months time, will have 100k in cash. Should I buy a car, invest in overseas property, buy some high dividend stocks, or wait for a better opportunity?

What would u do with 100k?

i would buy shares. now is a better time and a year ago to invest. not sure about the future - it can go up or down. but since we're in bearish territory with governments talking about looming recessions, my guess is that stocks are cheap now. i'm nibbling on some blue chips now. in fact, the more it falls, the more i'll nibble.

assuming the market recovers to its glorious past, i will be much better off than people who bought near the peak.

that's my strategy. caveat emptor.

Unregistered 16-10-2011 01:47 PM

average Singaporean

mid 40s

combined family income $150k pa

live in landed (net worth after minusing mortgage loan) $1 m

cpf combined $250K

investment property net worth $400K

cash $100K

we are just average Singaporeans ...

Property punter 16-10-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiseman1 (Post 17224)
You guys are all going out of point. We are not discussing how a guy earning 200k annually should spend his money.

Basically, the bottom line it is not possible to still have $500k - $1m savings if you are earning only $200k a year, not even touching age 40 and have paid up your housing loans. Alot of the folks here are talking up their weath for whatsoever silly reasons but you are misleading and demoralising the younger folks with lower incomes.

And please do not inlcude inherited houses or cash from parents when sharing your net worth.....this is substandard

Did u not read the Sunday times? The 33 yr old guy flipped 4 properties and made somewhere between 1.4 to 1.8M.
I'm somewhat similar, having had the chance to buy and sell a few properties since 2003, my net worth is close to 2.3M at age 34 today. Around 1.5M of that is due to property investments, the rest from savings. My income is just under 200K p.a.

rockya 16-10-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiseman1 (Post 16810)
You guys are all bull-shitting.......If you are only in your 30s or early 40s and have used your cash to pay up your property loans.....there us now way you can still have 1 million cash....especially if your income is only in the 200k region....

a quick calcuation shows that you are blowing your own trumpet....unless you are telling me you started earning 200k annually from your first day at work!

Do you know what is worse than being stupid in this world? Being ignorant.

You seem to come onto this forum to degrade others and belittle their earnings while indirectly blowing your own trumpet. You are the kind of pple who needs your own ego validated by others, sadly on an internet forum. We are here to share and celebrate others' acheivements, whether they are true or not, we should take them as a form of motivation to spur ourselves- which has no harm to us.

After reading all your posts, you seem to be sour that others have acheived a level of success you could not at that age.
i think you should change your username as it contradicts you in a comedic way.
There is always another taller mountain. Know how high the sky is and stop living in your cute little world.

Cheers.

Hermit 18-10-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daredevil (Post 16792)
Annual income 300k+

3 properties
Valued 3m, loan 1.5m
Passive income 6k per mth / 72k p.a

Mutual funds 100k
Stocks 300k (200k after recent crash)
Cash 100k (waiting to invest)
Emergency cash 40k (3 mths expenses as standby)

Mthly Savings : 25 percent of take home pay

Net worth: about 1.9m

Am from the 1st batch of normal stream students (aka 5 years secondary school). Didn't think I would have a good future... I used to feel sorry for myself & adopted a victim mentality until I decided to be CEO of my own life & take responsibility.

Daredevil, you are a good role model (for even graduates) by not letting the schooling system tell you what you can or cannot achieve. :)

Hermit 18-10-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 17154)
wow.. i feel like a loser here after seeing what other people have achieved.. unforeseen circumstances led me to start work only at the age of 27.. im 28 now.

monthly income 3k+
cash about 20k+
stocks abt 5k
just bought a hdb at 300k+.. (nothing paid yet)

me and wife to be combined just reached over the 5k mark..

how do i carry on from here? The thought of working till death just to survive in singapore scares me..

You are ok. It is only the start of the journey. Keep a look out for opportunities.

Like every waiter or waitress all over Hollywood, each is just waiting to become a famous singer or actor. :)

Unregistered 18-10-2011 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermit (Post 17305)
You are ok. It is only the start of the journey. Keep a look out for opportunities.

Like every waiter or waitress all over Hollywood, each is just waiting to become a famous singer or actor. :)

Thanks for the encouragement =)

Unregistered 19-10-2011 04:24 AM

Looking at how much you guys are earning, I think I am really in a bad position.

I'm 28 single.
My net worth.
10k cash
23k cpf (OA)
8k stocks (CPF)
61k Stocks (cash)

about 102k and no property yet.

My income is only 40k p.a and have been working for the past 6 years.
To hit what many of your guys can achieve at the age of 30+ - 40 is virtually impossible for me.

1) Anyone can tell me how to make my money work even harder for me ??
2) Assuming i take another 6 years , at the most i will hit ard 250k networth if the stock markets are kind to me. How can i improve it ??

Unregistered 19-10-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 17354)
Looking at how much you guys are earning, I think I am really in a bad position.

I'm 28 single.
My net worth.
10k cash
23k cpf (OA)
8k stocks (CPF)
61k Stocks (cash)

about 102k and no property yet.

My income is only 40k p.a and have been working for the past 6 years.
To hit what many of your guys can achieve at the age of 30+ - 40 is virtually impossible for me.

1) Anyone can tell me how to make my money work even harder for me ??
2) Assuming i take another 6 years , at the most i will hit ard 250k networth if the stock markets are kind to me. How can i improve it ??

Hi

Other than making ur money to work for you, you may want to consider the prospects of your career. You need to ask yourself what is the potential salary you can earn from your current profession. Any opportunities to promote and grow your active income quickly? May be you can consider further your studies (either part time or full time) if this can help you push through the invisible ceiling or stunter that is placed on your income potential now. Alternatively, if the prospects of your current profession does not look good and there's nothing much you can do to improve it, you may want to consider a career switch or may be even start a business esp if u have a flair in something.

While you're still young, it's best to work hard on growing your active income as your passive income won't be much with the small capital you have at the beginning. Grow the savings so that you can grow the investments.

I think you're doing okay at 28 years old with that NW. You just need a bit of luck and be opportunistic to help you get ahead. Investing the right thing at the right time is key.

Good luck!

blakThata 26-10-2011 09:03 AM