Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Investments and Net Worth (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/)
-   -   Whats your net worth (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/817-whats-your-net-worth.html)

whizzard 28-07-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40449)
Now that we are almost 55, we no longer have appetite for property. No more showroom/flat visits for us. Even though our car COE is almost up, we are still not actively looking to replace the car. Somehow, it seems that there is a biological clock or trigger that switched our interest to other aspects of life. We don't desire owning more properties, or cars. Now we planned on going for more holidays, keeping in touch with relatives, friends who migrated. Dont know if what we are going through is normal for people our age?

I think everyone's wants and needs changes as you go through different phases of life.

When i was younger, i used to go shopping every weekend and hang around Starbucks for coffee. These days, i abhor the crowd during weekends.

Very normal for you to want to travel and keep in touch with friends and relatives. Better still if you have some kind of sports as a hobby as keeping active physically is very important as you grow older.

Unregistered 30-07-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

20 yrs ago our weekends were mostly spent on visiting showrooms/show flats / open house as we searched for our dream condo. We were then staying in an HDB exec maisonette. With our young child in a stroller we would visit at least 2 places a weekend. It took us a yr of searching before we decided on a suburb condo costing about $900k for a 4 bedroom unit. Since then we have seen the price of our condo went up and down twice. We paid up the loan 5 yrs ago and started another round of showroom/ show flat visitation. This time we were looking for an investment unit. In 2010 We committed to a 2 bedder condo unit next to an MRT station for over $1m.

Now that we are almost 55, we no longer have appetite for property. No more showroom/flat visits for us. Even though our car COE is almost up, we are still not actively looking to replace the car. Somehow, it seems that there is a biological clock or trigger that switched our interest to other aspects of life. We don't desire owning more properties, or cars. Now we planned on going for more holidays, keeping in touch with relatives, friends who migrated. Dont know if what we are going through is normal for people our age?

Quite normal, actually you are just one of the many low-middle class nowadays. Nothing special.

Unregistered 30-07-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

I feel exactly like you but I'm not sure if its the large bungalow I live in or the Porsche 911 I drive, but I don't desire any more.

Unregistered 03-08-2013 10:41 AM

We are a low income family by today's standards. Our family income is only $60k pa. We live in a small HDB flat, has 2 school going kids and drives only a small, used 11 years old inferior brand car. Our net worth combined (including our flat) is only $600k. We are in our early 50s. Can anyone advise where we can get financial assistance? Please help. Thank you.

Unregistered 03-08-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Now that we are almost 55 ... Now we planned on going for more holidays, keeping in touch with relatives, friends who migrated. Dont know if what we are going through is normal for people our age?

We might know each other in real life. My school mates, all age 55, meet regularly for meals/drinks/jogs, just for companion and nostalgic sake.

Unregistered 03-08-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40451)
Hi, I need some advice from experts here. I'm 50 next month and my wife is 45 ... Since my wife is working, I am also doing most of the house work and tending to my kids. I feel more relaxed now. Do you think this is ok? Does this make me any less of a man since I am not working in the traditional sense? Appreciate comments from experts here, especially the views of women folks here. Thanks in advance.

Not the rare nowadays. I retire at the age of 44, now 55.

Unregistered 03-08-2013 02:13 PM

When you retired at 44, what was your net worth? How much was passive income? Where were you staying? HDB flat or condo. Why did you want to retire so young?

Unregistered 03-08-2013 04:35 PM

Well good for you.

We haven't quite establish what we will be doing once we retire. Have lost touch with most my school mates of various levels. But we do have the occasional cell group meetings. Currently that's about it.

Can't really talk to colleagues about retirement, bad for morale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40727)
We might know each other in real life. My school mates, all age 55, meet regularly for meals/drinks/jogs, just for companion and nostalgic sake.

Unregistered 04-08-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40729)
When you retired at 44, what was your net worth? How much was passive income? Where were you staying? HDB flat or condo. Why did you want to retire so young?

At 44, stay in a condo, two condos for rent, net worth excluding primary residence is about $2 mil (RE is in a doldrum then). Current net worth = $12 mil.

Unregistered 04-08-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 40774)
At 44, stay in a condo, two condos for rent, net worth excluding primary residence is about $2 mil (RE is in a doldrum then). Current net worth = $12 mil.

Wow, that's amazing. How did your wealth rise 6x? Did you sell any of your properties away? How much is your passive income now?