Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Investments and Net Worth (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/)
-   -   Whats your net worth (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/817-whats-your-net-worth.html)

Unregistered 03-07-2013 06:20 PM

I am 36 and estimated net worth excluding the condo I stay in is $1.5mil, is it enough to make it to top 25%?

Unregistered 03-07-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39424)
I am 36 and estimated net worth excluding the condo I stay in is $1.5mil, is it enough to make it to top 25%?

I guess so, congrats !!

But what's the point of this question? :)

Unregistered 03-07-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

probably enough if the assets are for one person and not shared with a spouse

Unregistered 03-07-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Should be top 2%.

Singapore's high net worth individuals now worth a combined $489 billion | Singapore Business Review

Composition of Singapore's Total Population

Unregistered 04-07-2013 12:39 AM

I am just a mid skilled worker but my net worth is more than $1m. How? Easy. I first bought a 3 room flat from HDB and after a few years, I sold it for a big profit. Then I bought a 5 room HDB flat, again direct from HDB. Now the HDB flat is worth $950k and I have no loans. My CPF and savings in total now is $300k. So I am worth more than $1m at 65. I am very happy with the system that make me so rich. I can now sell my flat and stay with one of my children who is staying in a penthouse.

Unregistered 04-07-2013 10:18 PM

Don't make that mistake. Give your son's family their space to lead their lives, especially when they have been staying without you.

At 65, you may still be able to help look after their children (your grandchildren). But once the children grow up, you will become an eyesore in their house. Worst, if the children have to share room because you are occupying one of the rooms, they will resent you.

Stay in your own home, give them their space and maintain your own independence. They can come visit weekly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39447)
I am just a mid skilled worker but my net worth is more than $1m. How? Easy. I first bought a 3 room flat from HDB and after a few years, I sold it for a big profit. Then I bought a 5 room HDB flat, again direct from HDB. Now the HDB flat is worth $950k and I have no loans. My CPF and savings in total now is $300k. So I am worth more than $1m at 65. I am very happy with the system that make me so rich. I can now sell my flat and stay with one of my children who is staying in a penthouse.

Unregistered 05-07-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39501)
Don't make that mistake. Give your son's family their space to lead their lives, especially when they have been staying without you.

At 65, you may still be able to help look after their children (your grandchildren). But once the children grow up, you will become an eyesore in their house. Worst, if the children have to share room because you are occupying one of the rooms, they will resent you.

Stay in your own home, give them their space and maintain your own independence. They can come visit weekly.

Thanks for the advice. I think we will sell my HDB flat at $950k and then buy a smaller, less prime HDB flat for $300k. We can then buy annuities with the rest of $650k plus CPF and other savings of $300k. With about $900k, the annuity plan can give quite a good monthly payout. Any advice where I can get the best annuity? How do you calculate the monthly payout from the annuity?

Unregistered 05-07-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39509)
Thanks for the advice. I think we will sell my HDB flat at $950k and then buy a smaller, less prime HDB flat for $300k. We can then buy annuities with the rest of $650k plus CPF and other savings of $300k. With about $900k, the annuity plan can give quite a good monthly payout. Any advice where I can get the best annuity? How do you calculate the monthly payout from the annuity?

Tokio Marine had a very good annuity product but they stopped selling it just recently due to overwhelming response (and hence highe risk exposure to them).

Unregistered 05-07-2013 11:50 PM

I have decided to retire at an early age of 44, after achieving a net worth of $1.7m. I have an investment portfolio which gives me an annual income of $50k pa. My wife, 42, has a net worth of $0.6m and she is still working, earning $110k pa. With a combined income of $160k pa and combined net worth of $2.3m, we believe we are doing quite ok for our age. Not fantastic, but decent enough.

We hope to reduce our expenditure from $100k pa to $80k pa, so that we can save $80k pa. We hope to save $1.6m over the next 20 years and we estimate our investment portfolio and net worth would grow steadily in value over the 20 year period. We hope to achieve a combined net worth of $6m by 2033.

Unregistered 06-07-2013 11:44 AM

I am curious why people want to quit at a point in their career when their salary is high or at their highest? Can you share your reason?

My spouse and I also think about retirement but that is because we are approaching 55. As we have not achieved our target net worth of $5m, we decided to slog another 3 yrs till we accrue $5.5m. The $0.5m is our buffer against the uncertainties in the market. Already the current stock market correction wiped out $65k of our holdings - ouch!

Currently we invested $2.5m in properties, stocks, bonds, single premium insurance that is giving us a measly $70k pa (3% ROI). Our home is valued at $1.6m, CPF minimum sum $400k, Medisave $87k - total current net worth $4.5m.

With the additional $1m we hope to accrue in 3 yrs, we hope to invest that to augment our passive income to $100k pa. Then, we will really feel ready to retire. Can't wait to do all the things we have been putting off.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 39556)
I have decided to retire at an early age of 44, after achieving a net worth of $1.7m. I have an investment portfolio which gives me an annual income of $50k pa. My wife, 42, has a net worth of $0.6m and she is still working, earning $110k pa. With a combined income of $160k pa and combined net worth of $2.3m, we believe we are doing quite ok for our age. Not fantastic, but decent enough.

We hope to reduce our expenditure from $100k pa to $80k pa, so that we can save $80k pa. We hope to save $1.6m over the next 20 years and we estimate our investment portfolio and net worth would grow steadily in value over the 20 year period. We hope to achieve a combined net worth of $6m by 2033.