Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Investments and Net Worth (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/)
-   -   Advice Needed: Should I buy a condo now? (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/2993-advice-needed-should-i-buy-condo-now.html)

commoner 28-08-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41711)
Hi how much will property rise in the next few years? I am looking at investments that can make at least 15% annually every year.

Nobody can answer you this question unless its a scam. Nothing is guaranteed. Good to understand value investing, there are a few fund manager out there that perform double digit returns constantly with track record to prove.

If you require referral let me know.

Unregistered 28-08-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41711)
Hi how much will property rise in the next few years? I am looking at investments that can make at least 15% annually every year.

You sound just like a small kid wanting an ice cream, this kind of thinking belongs to those who will definitely lose money in investing. Why don't you ask will you lose your capital? Will property drop by 30-40% in the next few years? Will there be a big oversupply due to overbuilding?

Unregistered 28-08-2013 12:26 PM

Why only looking for 15% annual return? Why not 25% OR 35% ANNUAL RETURN RATE?

Unregistered 28-08-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41727)
Why only looking for 15% annual return? Why not 25% OR 35% ANNUAL RETURN RATE?

15% is reasonable for a average return when investing in property or stocks, 35% maybe only ponzi frauds or MLM when you get out before the crash can.

lazyplane 28-08-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41749)
15% is reasonable for a average return when investing in property or stocks, 35% maybe only ponzi frauds or MLM when you get out before the crash can.

15% returns means you double your money every 5 yrs.
My gut feel for the past 7 few years is that only 3 out 10 hits such returns and above for professionally managed funds in SG...

Individuals -even worse.

Unregistered 29-08-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazyplane (Post 41758)
15% returns means you double your money every 5 yrs.
My gut feel for the past 7 few years is that only 3 out 10 hits such returns and above for professionally managed funds in SG...

Individuals -even worse.

Your gut sense is wrong. For the past 7 years no public professionally managed mutual fund based in Singapore has ever achieved a compunded growth of 15%. He/she would be a legend in the local community if he could do that.

Even if you include PE / HE or other private funds not open to the public, probably 1 in 10 can say confidently they generated returns >15% over the long term.

The guy above is not realistic in his expectations.

Unregistered 29-08-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41779)
Your gut sense is wrong. For the past 7 years no public professionally managed mutual fund based in Singapore has ever achieved a compunded growth of 15%. He/she would be a legend in the local community if he could do that.

Even if you include PE / HE or other private funds not open to the public, probably 1 in 10 can say confidently they generated returns >15% over the long term.

The guy above is not realistic in his expectations.

Not really.

There a few funds that manage to exceed 15% slightly over long term, but they are all single developing country focused funds like Indo, Thai, Malaysia etc who happen to be at the right place right time.

Anyway looks like the party is over and they are all being whacked down now as they are too concentrated in a country which is undergoing steep correction.

For funds that focus on Singapore-based companies, the best performer is Arbedeen which has LT returns of ~10%.

lazyplane 29-08-2013 11:46 AM

Stayer in SG but i think the SG dream is also going down or flat.
we are max out really at home ground, and when SG companies go global, we are no better in managing those risk in aboard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41781)
Not really.

There a few funds that manage to exceed 15% slightly over long term, but they are all single developing country focused funds like Indo, Thai, Malaysia etc who happen to be at the right place right time.

Anyway looks like the party is over and they are all being whacked down now as they are too concentrated in a country which is undergoing steep correction.

For funds that focus on Singapore-based companies, the best performer is Arbedeen which has LT returns of ~10%.

Unregistered 29-08-2013 02:41 PM

Anyone who set min 15% annual gain as a target has no idea wtf he is talking about. 15% is enough to get you into the global investment hall of fame, yet the way some people say here is like anyone just read a few tips online or pick a few good funds can already.

Unregistered 29-08-2013 03:50 PM

Get real with property already. First was the intention of building hell lots of HDB units, then disallow PRs to purchase open market units for three years. Speculators diving in at inflated price, hoping for celestial returns, pray hard that the celestial being will ideally inflate the prices even more. If not, good luck on defaulting.