Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Investments and Net Worth (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/)
-   -   How much savings do you have? (https://forums.salary.sg/investments-net-worth/1199-how-much-savings-do-you-have.html)

Unregistered 18-09-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZZ (Post 56598)
just curious, are you malaysian or singaporean?

no harm trying it out if you have worked out your finances, but will your kids be attending an international school? i don't think foreign students are able to attend local schools

I am Singaporean....kids will either attend international school or commute with me...

But prob will be staying on in Sg as more lucrative to locum fulltime here than get an employee job in Tuas or Woodlands...

Unregistered 20-09-2014 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56599)
I am Singaporean....kids will either attend international school or commute with me...

But prob will be staying on in Sg as more lucrative to locum fulltime here than get an employee job in Tuas or Woodlands...

so you can't retire now, back to square one.

Unregistered 20-09-2014 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56678)
so you can't retire now, back to square one.

As explained in great detail earlier, we can if we want or need to by selling our Sg properties but kids will have to study local u...and my condo within 4yr SSD so we will not for now...

Unregistered 20-09-2014 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56682)
As explained in great detail earlier, we can if we want or need to by selling our Sg properties but kids will have to study local u...and my condo within 4yr SSD so we will not for now...

So given the restrictions on your condo and your wish for your sons to study overseas, you can't retire now. You need to work, like most people, for the next 20 years or so. Not easy to retire young for 99.9% of the population. Only the top 0.01% can retire in Singapore in their early 40s. The ex top bankers, ex top lawyers and ex top executives.

Ordinary working professionals earning $150k plus pa considered normal for professionals, not high enough to retire in Singapore in their early 40s. But they can retire early in Malaysia or Thailand if they don't have kids schooling in Singapore or old folks in Singapore to take care of.

ZZZ 20-09-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56682)
As explained in great detail earlier, we can if we want or need to by selling our Sg properties but kids will have to study local u...and my condo within 4yr SSD so we will not for now...

Can you retire if you rent out your Sg properties instead if selling? International school fees are a major cash drain and you still need to repay your loan on the johor property. Suggest not to sell else will cost more to buy again next time if living in johor doesn't work out.

Unregistered 20-09-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZZ (Post 56685)
Can you retire if you rent out your Sg properties instead if selling? International school fees are a major cash drain and you still need to repay your loan on the johor property. Suggest not to sell else will cost more to buy again next time if living in johor doesn't work out.

Depends on rental market and interest rates. Most optimistic scenario if can rent out high and interest rates stay low, possible to retire in JB, esp if kids go to Sg by bus...

Terrace : $5000 rental
Condo : $3000 rental

Pay off condo

Mortgage for terrace at current low rates:$2250
Mortgage for jb semi d :$1200

Passive income = $8000-$2250-$1200=$4550

Unregistered 20-09-2014 03:56 PM

This is too optimistic. Why not you retire fully in JB while your husband continues to work since he is earning $100k pa, which is RM250k pa. With this amount, you can afford to send your kids to an international school in JB and they don't have to wake up so early. You can take your time to send and fetch them in a cheap JB car. Your hubby can happily go to work at 5am and come back home at 9pm. You can spend your retirement reading books, cooking and relaxing. Everyone will be happy. Good plan?


Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56686)
Depends on rental market and interest rates. Most optimistic scenario if can rent out high and interest rates stay low, possible to retire in JB, esp if kids go to Sg by bus...

Terrace : $5000 rental
Condo : $3000 rental

Pay off condo

Mortgage for terrace at current low rates:$2250
Mortgage for jb semi d :$1200

Passive income = $8000-$2250-$1200=$4550


Unregistered 20-09-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56698)
This is too optimistic. Why not you retire fully in JB while your husband continues to work since he is earning $100k pa, which is RM250k pa. With this amount, you can afford to send your kids to an international school in JB and they don't have to wake up so early. You can take your time to send and fetch them in a cheap JB car. Your hubby can happily go to work at 5am and come back home at 9pm. You can spend your retirement reading books, cooking and relaxing. Everyone will be happy. Good plan?

Don't think my husband will be happy doing that...anyway his job quite unstable...last year was a good year for him...I came up with this plan in case we r both forced to retire early...

Unregistered 20-09-2014 06:11 PM

Johor just announced the site for the RTS to Sg! It will be at Bukit Chager...supposed to be built by 2019 and will link to Thonson Line....my plan is to stay in my semid in JB and buy a malaysian car and commute with my sons to Sg in the morning for their school while I work halfday...so semiretiring in JB....would have paid up my terrace in Sg by then and passive rental income should be enough even if I do not work...

Unregistered 20-09-2014 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 56701)
Don't think my husband will be happy doing that...anyway his job quite unstable...last year was a good year for him...I came up with this plan in case we r both forced to retire early...

Hi,

I can try providing some decent advise, but could you repost or provide the link to the post describing your situation? (Too much post between)

I was occupied cursing the chap who was using this thread to show off his current lifestyle. :)

Cheers


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 03:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2