Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Which degree is the best return on investment (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/9669-degree-best-return-investment.html)

Headengineer 22-02-2020 11:40 PM

like any bubble...it will burst. Have been a swe for 12 years .

Unregistered 23-02-2020 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headengineer (Post 129259)
like any bubble...it will burst. Have been a swe for 12 years .

And after being a SWE for 12 years, how did it burst for yours?

Unregistered 23-02-2020 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129007)
this info whole thread is very outdated. now definetly highest ROI degree is definetly CS (NOT IS)

Spend 4 years in local U with MOE grant for tuition each sem pay only 4k+ for CS degree

Come out 2nd upper and if your coding skills are GOOD you can minimally hit 5k starting pay with tech companies like Grab, Shopee etc etc

Better if youre first class honors - companies like Indeed, GIC, Google, FB pay at least 6k to 7k as fresh grad

Even those go that into into tier 1 consulting (Mckinsey, Bain, Boston) which almost always requires you to have FCH only pay 5.5k for their entry level associates.

Source: I am a tech recrutier in one of the unicorn companies and have access to salary offers and competitors offer range as well

Out of curiosity have you seen candidates from bootcamps/self-taught hired by such companies? If yes, how were they able to land the role?

Stefano 27-02-2020 07:05 PM

I think that nowadays getting a degree isn't a must, especially if you're looking for a job in the IT field. Employers mostly evaluate your skills, not cerficates. So many youngsters spend years in University, not sure if it is the right fit for them. My suggestion is to try something like a Data Analytics Course. After completing a free course like this in only 6 weeks you are qualified to enter into the workforce on a 60-70k Salary. A good idea for those who are not sure if they want to spend 30k+ on University and put in a 3 year Commitment.

Unregistered 27-02-2020 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefano (Post 129427)
I think that nowadays getting a degree isn't a must, especially if you're looking for a job in the IT field. Employers mostly evaluate your skills, not cerficates. So many youngsters spend years in University, not sure if it is the right fit for them. My suggestion is to try something like a Data Analytics Course. After completing a free course like [URL="s://information.academy/data/"]this[/ in only 6 weeks you are qualified to enter into the workforce on a 60-70k Salary. A good idea for those who are not sure if they want to spend 30k+ on University and put in a 3 year Commitment.

Ya, in your grandfather's company

Unregistered 28-02-2020 04:12 AM

Software developers are the creative minds behind all the computer programs and phone applications.To become a software developer, you need a bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering, or a related field. But many companies prefer that you have a master’s degree as well.

Unregistered 28-02-2020 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129053)
You're saying like as if every person who gets into B&F Degree makes that amount. The median for a run of the B&F mill chap is probably only 4k+ at best going into a MA programme in one of the local banks

Sure I only know a handful of traders and those require FCH and LKY gold award and the top of the education pyramid - probably that upside can be 9 10k

Do you think statistically speaking OP is of that caliber which would be the top 0.5% as above?

We should use run of the mill qualifications to compare. 2nd upper (know to be average grade in uni) CS student already command 5k+, what about B&F grads?

that's not how it works LOL FCH and LKY people rarely enter IB/S&T because they study too hard but cannot do work

Unregistered 28-02-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129007)
this info whole thread is very outdated. now definetly highest ROI degree is definetly CS (NOT IS)

Spend 4 years in local U with MOE grant for tuition each sem pay only 4k+ for CS degree

Come out 2nd upper and if your coding skills are GOOD you can minimally hit 5k starting pay with tech companies like Grab, Shopee etc etc

Better if youre first class honors - companies like Indeed, GIC, Google, FB pay at least 6k to 7k as fresh grad

Even those go that into into tier 1 consulting (Mckinsey, Bain, Boston) which almost always requires you to have FCH only pay 5.5k for their entry level associates.

Source: I am a tech recrutier in one of the unicorn companies and have access to salary offers and competitors offer range as well

ok boomer. is your unicorn profitable?? you can pay 10k/mo but close shop like uber or make 900mil in losses in 2019 like sea group, what's the point?

Unregistered 28-02-2020 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefano (Post 129427)
I think that nowadays getting a degree isn't a must, especially if you're looking for a job in the IT field. Employers mostly evaluate your skills, not cerficates. So many youngsters spend years in University, not sure if it is the right fit for them. My suggestion is to try something like a Data Analytics Course. After completing a free course like [URL="s://information.academy/data/"]this[/ in only 6 weeks you are qualified to enter into the workforce on a 60-70k Salary. A good idea for those who are not sure if they want to spend 30k+ on University and put in a 3 year Commitment.

i think this is especially true for hr jobs, especially in private sectors. nowadays degree holder for HR are actually getting only around 2.2 to 2.4 after graduating. The reason being, the job requirements only need diploma. There are still degree level HR fresh grad jobs la but prolly around 2-3 out of 100 u find from jobstreets.

Unregistered 28-02-2020 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129446)
i think this is especially true for hr jobs, especially in private sectors. nowadays degree holder for HR are actually getting only around 2.2 to 2.4 after graduating. The reason being, the job requirements only need diploma. There are still degree level HR fresh grad jobs la but prolly around 2-3 out of 100 u find from jobstreets.

Tbh i see no diff between pte deg and govt deg.
Can work means work. I dont care where u grad

A lot of cmi pte grad. A lot of cmi public uni grad also