Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Salary Check [Engineering] Maritime (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/951-salary-check-engineering-maritime.html)

Unregistered 14-10-2010 12:59 AM

Yea 9K per month......i guess working hard play apart to have good bonuses and increment....

Unregistered 16-10-2010 12:19 PM

Thats very good pay. Which country did you go to ?

Anyway, any info on what keppel scholars get to enjoy or what do they go through in keppel?

Unregistered 16-10-2010 08:25 PM

Some scandinavia countries....i am not in the Keppel scholar....

Wiseman1 20-10-2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6610)
<b>Pros and cons of an onsite engineer.</b>

I start with the cons first

You have to wear a helmet, coveralls and safety glasses everyday. Sometimes, you may have to wear a safety harness.

You have to work under the hot sun or in dark, noisy and dusty confined areas sometimes everyday. The combination of the above reason and this will be a real turnoff. Think of the equivalent of wearing your army fatigue with your helmet and webbing if you've been through NS.

Probably, you will have to lead many bangladeshi and indian foremans and workers to get the work done. You will have to communicate with them on a daily basis. Think of going to Little India to work everyday.

The risk of getting into an accident. Falls from height or being hit by an falling object are the top killers. It is quite safe to work in the shipyard but incidents do happen and you never know.

Culture is quite regimental. Think of NS again.

Long working hours. Think overtime and burned weekends. Depends on department but the culture is towards long working hours.

Now to the pros.

The prestige of working for the top oil rig builder in the world. Definitely looks good on your resume.

Relevant experience such as having experience in working on the oil rigs or conversion projects can help you get into the oil and gas industry which is more lucrative.

Good bonus.

Virtually no retrenchment.

So you will want to be an onsite engineer if you like the sun and interact with people and don't mind the work environment.

About the bonus. Remember the bonus is not the same as your salary. Bonus can fluctuate. Currently, there are hardly any new projects clinched in the past year or two and the ongoing jobs are based on the projects clinched previously when oil prices were sky high. If there are hardly any new projects for the next 2 years or so, you can pretty figure out on what happens to the bonuses.

So think twice before you sign on the dotted line.

Compare the above-mentioned with me:
I wear nice tailored shirts and trousers complete with cufflings to work everyday.
Office is a new, nice downtown skyscraper in Raffles place complete with superb air-conditioning. Restaurants, eateries, pubs and shopping centers are just minutes away.
My colleagues are mostly young,nubile office ladies. These are the kind of people I work with all the time. We also hang out and have fun together after work.
There are virtually no safety related problems.
I am on 5 day work week. Unheard of to work on weekends as financial markets are closed.
Compensation is good, with a high base salary and fat bonuses if you perform well. (Definitely higher than the engineering industry)

Retrenchment is not an issue as it happens in every industry, you just need to make as much money as possible when times are good.

I am in the financial services industry.

Why would anyone want to be a marine onsite engineer after comparing the above? It is no brainer! Switch career immediately!!

Unregistered 20-10-2010 07:41 PM

There's such a thing called interest and passion, and doing what you're good at.

wulala 20-10-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiseman1 (Post 7649)
Compare the above-mentioned with me:
I wear nice tailored shirts and trousers complete with cufflings to work everyday.
Office is a new, nice downtown skyscraper in Raffles place complete with superb air-conditioning. Restaurants, eateries, pubs and shopping centers are just minutes away.
My colleagues are mostly young,nubile office ladies. These are the kind of people I work with all the time. We also hang out and have fun together after work.
There are virtually no safety related problems.
I am on 5 day work week. Unheard of to work on weekends as financial markets are closed.
Compensation is good, with a high base salary and fat bonuses if you perform well. (Definitely higher than the engineering industry)

Retrenchment is not an issue as it happens in every industry, you just need to make as much money as possible when times are good.

I am in the financial services industry.

Why would anyone want to be a marine onsite engineer after comparing the above? It is no brainer! Switch career immediately!!

lol extreme BS. people in the finance industry works 7 days a week, clocking more than 100 hours of work. when you want to sleep also cannot, us market open. most of time not only need to clear mountains of paperwork, but still also need to por lan pa. so people who want to be slaves to their boss and just por lan pa go ahead:D

Wiseman1 21-10-2010 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 7652)
There's such a thing called interest and passion, and doing what you're good at.

Yes, but we are talking about a lifelong career, if you can picture yourself working in that kind of environment forever, then go ahead. The question is can the passion and interest last that long.....

Wiseman1 21-10-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wulala (Post 7653)
lol extreme BS. people in the finance industry works 7 days a week, clocking more than 100 hours of work. when you want to sleep also cannot, us market open. most of time not only need to clear mountains of paperwork, but still also need to por lan pa. so people who want to be slaves to their boss and just por lan pa go ahead:D

I dont know what department you are in if you are in the financial services industry, but no matter where you are, you need to work smart. If you choose those back office roles in banks for example, you are condemned to long working hours and little appreciation in terms of monetary compensation, simply because you are in cost center roles and not revenue generating roles. To prove my point, I am working in the treasury department of the preferred banking division in a bank and my key role is to support the Relationship managers(RM) and provide investment advice. As this is a client fcaing role, I can a cut of the commissions earned by all the RMs I support. Compensation is fantastic when times are good, and I dont work weekends, maybe till 7 or 8 on weekdays. You dont mind that extra 1,2 hours of work if you are surrounded by pretty banking chicks.....

Unregistered 21-10-2010 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiseman1 (Post 7655)
Yes, but we are talking about a lifelong career, if you can picture yourself working in that kind of environment forever, then go ahead. The question is can the passion and interest last that long.....

The same can be said of finance. How to survive in a cut-throat industry like finance (or for that matter, any industry) if interest or aptitude is lacking. Unless of course, the over-riding interest is money. Which is fine too. Just saying, to each his own.

Unregistered 22-10-2010 12:45 AM

If most Singaporeans choose to work in the finance and banking industry, then who is going to work in the Engineering sectors (Marine, Wafer....Etc....)? Then this engineering sectors will be compensated by Foreign Talents which are cheaper, willing to work long hours and determine enough to take the hardship.

Then Singaporean complaint on the Foreign talents "invading" the market.....I am just puzzling on this...anyone to share some points?