Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Deputy Director or Director - Civil Service earns? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/911-deputy-director-director-civil-service-earns.html)

babymango 20-05-2010 02:56 PM

Deputy Director or Director - Civil Service earns?

Can anyone help me please?

How much would a typical Deputy/Assistant Director or Director earn in the various government ministries under the PR/Marcom/Marketing division?

Maybe with 10-12 years experience?

Thanks so much!

babymango 20-05-2010 02:57 PM

It would also help if someone can tell me what a general marcom exec in the ministry would start off with, and what the levels of promotion/designation might be, thanks again!

Unregistered 20-05-2010 11:39 PM

hard to say. these days the titles of assistant director, senior assistant director and dy director are so abused by some ministries that they don't carry much weight any more. I know a senior assistant director in one ministry who earns less than a 'manager' in a stat board.
It would help we knew which ministry you were looking at.

babymango 21-05-2010 12:04 AM

oh...

MTA - min of transport.

But do you mind telling me how much your friend who's a senior deputy director earns? Which ministry is he/she from? Thanks!

Unregistered 22-05-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babymango (Post 5997)
MTA - min of transport.

But do you mind telling me how much your friend who's a senior deputy director earns? Which ministry is he/she from? Thanks!

Its a Snr AD. I'm not sure if there's a Snr DD post yet...

Taking back about 6100, so I heard. Been in the job for about 9-10 years.

His ministry is one of those that abuses the 'AD/ Snr AD' posititon a lot. most of the mid-managers there are Snr ADs, which don't mean much unfortunately.

I know that MOE and Mindef are two ministries that take the AD/Snr AD/ DD post very seriously. I've heard of a colonel of a infantry brigade kenna posted to MOE and retired there as a AD, so theirs counts for something.

DOn't know anything about MOT, sorry.

babymango 22-05-2010 04:53 PM

thanks for the info!

Asst Dir and Deputy Dir are the same thing, as far as i know - some ministries call them assistants, and some deputy, it means junior or second in command director basically and are the same thing i was told.

i think you are very right about this abusing of the title theory - i know someone who became assistant deputy director at 32 years old, and she had been working since age 26 years old at ministries - i never could understand how someone can be a deputy anything with just 6 years of experience!??! You're right! That's mid management at most!

How old is your friend btw when he became Senior AD? The one who whom you spoke about.... probably early - mid 30's?

Unregistered 22-05-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babymango (Post 6002)
thanks for the info!

Asst Dir and Deputy Dir are the same thing, as far as i know - some ministries call them assistants, and some deputy, it means junior or second in command director basically and are the same thing i was told.

i think you are very right about this abusing of the title theory - i know someone who became assistant deputy director at 32 years old, and she had been working since age 26 years old at ministries - i never could understand how someone can be a deputy anything with just 6 years of experience!??! You're right! That's mid management at most!

How old is your friend btw when he became Senior AD? The one who whom you spoke about.... probably early - mid 30's?

Hi there, I am not sure about Ministries though.

How about semi government companies - SMRT etc? Holding designations of VP?

Paladin18 01-06-2010 09:06 PM

I'm a Deputy Director in a Stat Board heading a policy unit, with concurrent duties in marcoms and corporate comms. Been at this position for a little over 2 years. Monthly income $8,400 excluding Jul/Dec Bonus, 13th month and PB. Annual income last year including bonuses came to about $145,000.

I don't consider myself a high flyer so I think is more or less the a normal salary for Deputy Directors with my sort of background. Prior to that, spent 10 years in a Ministry, including a couple overseas postings. 2nd Class Upper Honours from NUS, non-scholar. Did not go for Masters and I come from a non-technical background.

The terms Assistant Director, Senior Assistant Director and Deputy Directors are used very loosely in the Singapore government setup. This has largely to do with the latitude and autonomy accorded to each Ministry and government agency since the 1990s. Consequently, there is a wide variance in the scope of responsibilities amongst government agencies for officers who hold the abovementioned ranks.

In some Ministries, Assistant Directors are entry-level positions. The situation is complicated by the introduction of appointments like Manager, which is not a rank in the typical Civil Service. Hope this helps.

babymango 01-06-2010 11:58 PM

Thank you Paladin, yes your reply was really insightful and helped me a lot! Thanks again!

I am guessing that you're in your early 30's? I think 145 000 is pretty remarkable indeed for someone that young, well done!

babymango 02-06-2010 12:00 AM

btw, what is PB?

Paladin18 02-06-2010 12:07 AM

No problem. I should thank you for your kind words. I'm 37 actually. :o
Feel free to let me know if you have any further queries on the public sector. I'll try my best to address them.

Paladin18 02-06-2010 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babymango (Post 6080)
btw, what is PB?

Oops, sorry...dind't see your query. PB refers to performance bonus. :)

Unregistered 02-06-2010 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin18 (Post 6081)
No problem. I should thank you for your kind words. I'm 37 actually. :o
Feel free to let me know if you have any further queries on the public sector. I'll try my best to address them.

I'm a non-scholar, 2nd upper NUS grad too. Been in service since 2007 and getting 4.4k gross. Your post does shed some light on career development within public service. Do you have any words of advice for a newbie?

Unregistered 02-06-2010 11:08 PM

Bro paladin, your comments have been extremely insightful for me as well.

Just rejoined the civil service after a stint outside. Unfortunately, I'm one of those managers you spoke of. The pay band for this ambiguous grade is quite wide, i figured. Something from 4.2k all the way to 7.5k, and its further split by the assistant manager and senior manager grades. Since its not a part of the normal rank scale, what do you think of the prospects in this case?

Unregistered 15-06-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6091)
Bro paladin, your comments have been extremely insightful for me as well.

Just rejoined the civil service after a stint outside. Unfortunately, I'm one of those managers you spoke of. The pay band for this ambiguous grade is quite wide, i figured. Something from 4.2k all the way to 7.5k, and its further split by the assistant manager and senior manager grades. Since its not a part of the normal rank scale, what do you think of the prospects in this case?

Hi folks, any idea how much does an "Assistant Director" in the Civil Service (such Ministry of Trade & Industry and Ministry of Health) earn? I had about 7 years of experience in the private sector (semicon) and stat board, and trying out my luck in the ministries.

Low Flyer 15-06-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6213)
Hi folks, any idea how much does an "Assistant Director" in the Civil Service (such Ministry of Trade & Industry and Ministry of Health) earn? I had about 7 years of experience in the private sector (semicon) and stat board, and trying out my luck in the ministries.

MTI Asst. Director is an entry level position. (it has been said titles don't stand for squat in the public service sometimes)

Progression at MTI is:

A/D
Sr A/D (or SAD if ur fond of acronyms)
DD
D

Within these are multiple salary bands which you have to watch out for. End of the day just go for Portfolio & Pay. Not the title.

Flyinghome 15-06-2010 10:47 PM

Hi Guys,
Can anyone tell me how much an asst director/deputy director can expect to earn in a Keppel/Capitaland/SMRT?

Thanks

smallfry 21-06-2010 11:32 PM

hi paladin! you've got mail =)

mediocre 06-07-2010 10:12 PM

Hi Mr.Paladin and friends,

just chance upon this page and I too have questions to ask!

how much is the starting pay for a stat board scholar from NUS with first class/second upper division? and according to your experience, how fast can he/she rises to earn around 8k monthly?

regarding DD, do they earn 5 figures as I heard? thanks for your sharing!

Unregistered 08-07-2010 01:47 AM

Any idea how senior is Assistant Director in MAS?
Are these equivalent to manger post or higher?

Unregistered 08-07-2010 01:22 PM

PB = performance bonus

Unregistered 28-07-2010 10:17 PM

PB = Performance Bonus

smallfry 22-08-2010 01:28 PM

Paladin18 seems to be away already~ :(

Newcomer 10-08-2013 11:09 PM

I hope somebody can shed some light on the pay increment for scholar in minor statboard such as IES.

Currently in JC and is very interested in helping small set-ups big but don't know if passion matches pay.

Unregistered 11-08-2013 12:21 AM

are u fantasising that you are a scholar? haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newcomer (Post 41056)
I hope somebody can shed some light on the pay increment for scholar in minor statboard such as IES.

Currently in JC and is very interested in helping small set-ups big but don't know if passion matches pay.

Unregistered 11-08-2013 10:25 AM

Kidney donor saves life of DD of MHA

Read this inspiring story in Sunday Times today where it was reported that a taxi driver donated a part of his liver to save the life of a Deputy Director from MHA. Both men did not know each other and are not related.

The DD would have died if not for the liver transplant.

Now, the question is how to repay this debt? How much is the life of this DD worth?

Should he give half his salary to charity for the rest of his working life?

What do you guys think?

Unregistered 11-08-2013 11:40 AM

DD in public sector is just a jr manager in MNC, many ppl seem taken in by fancy titles and dun really know how the internal ranking in gov works

Unregistered 11-08-2013 03:40 PM

So can you shed some light on what a DD's pay in the civil service might be? According to the civil service pay scale (2011), a DD post is a super scale post earning from $10.5k to $14.5k. I expect it to be higher now with adjustment.

I don't mind the fancy title at all with this kind of pay

Job grade: MX9 (Superscale)
Job title: Deputy Director, Director
Pay scale: S$10,580 – S$14,550 / S$14,551 – S$16,540

Job grade: MX10
Job title: Assistant Director, Deputy Director
Pay scale: S$6,350 – S$9,050 / S$9,051 – S$10,400

Job grade: MX11
Job title: Manager, Assistant Director
Pay scale: S$4,100 – S$6,160 / S$6,161 – S$7,190

Job grade: MX12
Job title: Assistant Manager, Manager
Pay scale: S$2,550 – S$5,130

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41067)
DD in public sector is just a jr manager in MNC, many ppl seem taken in by fancy titles and dun really know how the internal ranking in gov works

Unregistered 12-08-2013 09:37 AM

Most MNCs managers are >10k one, so in a sense DD is is roughly equal to a manager.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41076)
So can you shed some light on what a DD's pay in the civil service might be? According to the civil service pay scale (2011), a DD post is a super scale post earning from $10.5k to $14.5k. I expect it to be higher now with adjustment.

I don't mind the fancy title at all with this kind of pay

Job grade: MX9 (Superscale)
Job title: Deputy Director, Director
Pay scale: S$10,580 – S$14,550 / S$14,551 – S$16,540

Job grade: MX10
Job title: Assistant Director, Deputy Director
Pay scale: S$6,350 – S$9,050 / S$9,051 – S$10,400

Job grade: MX11
Job title: Manager, Assistant Director
Pay scale: S$4,100 – S$6,160 / S$6,161 – S$7,190

Job grade: MX12
Job title: Assistant Manager, Manager
Pay scale: S$2,550 – S$5,130

Unregistered 12-08-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41099)
Most MNCs managers are >10k one, so in a sense DD is is roughly equal to a manager.

Rubbish. Only if you take the annual salary divided by 12.

Monthly salary only not all will hit 10k.

I know cos I'm HR in a UK MNC.

Unregistered 12-08-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41106)
Rubbish. Only if you take the annual salary divided by 12.

Monthly salary only not all will hit 10k.

I know cos I'm HR in a UK MNC.

Ur co. probably too many title inflation... Which UK co is that?

Unregistered 14-08-2013 10:49 PM

deputy directors in the polytechnic are quite free and relax.

every morning accompany their Director for kopi

Unregistered 15-08-2013 01:00 PM

It's called power break. They may look like they are talking cock, but usually they (the directors) are talking shop, eg. updating the boss on their work, projects etc..and getting directions.

Why don't you try and seat near and eavesdrop?

Having breakfast, lunch and breaks with the boss is one of the avenues to provide updates and get direction in an informal setting

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41241)
deputy directors in the polytechnic are quite free and relax.

every morning accompany their Director for kopi

Unregistered 11-08-2014 03:14 PM

Totally agreed

Unregistered 11-08-2014 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41262)
It's called power break. They may look like they are talking cock, but usually they (the directors) are talking shop, eg. updating the boss on their work, projects etc..and getting directions.

Why don't you try and seat near and eavesdrop?

Having breakfast, lunch and breaks with the boss is one of the avenues to provide updates and get direction in an informal setting

Very sound advice. Deputy director caliber indeed.

Unregistered 11-08-2014 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54526)
Very sound advice. Deputy director caliber indeed.

too much army la ?
calibre and calibre are different.

Unregistered 13-08-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41099)

I think you may not have an idea of how well paid the DDs and Dirs are in CS. On an annual basis, the monthly salary is X 18 months (last year - which was a no big deal year) for the C+ graders.

MNCs - their monthly pay is quite good but their bonus is quite pathetic.

Unregistered 13-08-2014 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54633)
I think you may not have an idea of how well paid the DDs and Dirs are in CS. On an annual basis, the monthly salary is X 18 months (last year - which was a no big deal year) for the C+ graders.

just 5 mth bonus on top of aws u already in shock & awe, i think u really never see before how directors are paid outside.

SOD 13-08-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 54633)

I doubt an 18 month package is particularly high compared to the market. As a proxy, I understand most large GLCs last year were also around there for managers/senior managers.

Keppel was 21x, Capitaland 18.5x Sembcorp 19x Singtel 17x Starhub 16.5x STE 17x

We haven't even mention gone into the usual lucrative industries like O&G, Banking, FMCG supermajors etc.

Unregistered 13-08-2014 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOD (Post 54642)
I doubt an 18 month package is particularly high compared to the market. As a proxy, I understand most large GLCs last year were also around there for managers/senior managers.

Keppel was 21x, Capitaland 18.5x Sembcorp 19x Singtel 17x Starhub 16.5x STE 17x

We haven't even mention gone into the usual lucrative industries like O&G, Banking, FMCG supermajors etc.

Another thing don't forget is many mncs give shares/options to managers & above on top of variable bonus. This can be worth another additional 1-2 months salary.