Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How much is your annual passive income? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/8727-how-much-your-annual-passive-income.html)

Unregistered 31-03-2017 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96145)
What crap logic is this? Might as well say it's very easy to be PM is subjective since it is not hard at all if you happen to be Lee Hsien Loong.

Exactly. It is because you don't understand sarcasm. My main point is that it is unrealistic to say that it is not hard to reach 1 mil. Only people who have reach that will say that and expect others to reach it easily too. Can you imagine if it is so easy that 50% of people can do that?

Unregistered 31-03-2017 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96146)
Exactly. It is because you don't understand sarcasm. My main point is that it is unrealistic to say that it is not hard to reach 1 mil. Only people who have reach that will say that and expect others to reach it easily too. Can you imagine if it is so easy that 50% of people can do that?

Different poster.

Actually easy and how many people can do eventually is not always correlated. Just like IPPT, everyone knows it is quite easy to pass as long as you are disciplined in training, but still most people are too lazy resulting in high failure rate.

If you are a PME with a stable and decent paying job, it is easy to retire comfortably by 55 (I agree the 40 year old another poster mention might be a stretch for some people) as long as you have discipline to manage your expenses. Yet we also know most people need to work till 67 as they just don't have the will power to carry through their monthly plan. Too many distractions every day and not many people can stay focus.

Unregistered 31-03-2017 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96153)
Different poster.

Actually easy and how many people can do eventually is not always correlated. Just like IPPT, everyone knows it is quite easy to pass as long as you are disciplined in training, but still most people are too lazy resulting in high failure rate.

If you are a PME with a stable and decent paying job, it is easy to retire comfortably by 55 (I agree the 40 year old another poster mention might be a stretch for some people) as long as you have discipline to manage your expenses. Yet we also know most people need to work till 67 as they just don't have the will power to carry through their monthly plan. Too many distractions every day and not many people can stay focus.

You are probably the 10% and so it is easy to you. To the 90% who are not able to, they will say it is not easy. But I like your analogy about IPPT but it is the same too. Those who fail always say it is not easy to pass until they passed.

Unregistered 31-03-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96159)
You are probably the 10% and so it is easy to you. To the 90% who are not able to, they will say it is not easy. But I like your analogy about IPPT but it is the same too. Those who fail always say it is not easy to pass until they passed.

Same poster. Discipline and Perseverance - easy to say but it does not come naturally especially to the younger generation....

Unregistered 31-03-2017 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96159)

Not really. Easy or not is objectively measured, not some subjective depends on individual opinion. I once took a spreadsheet and estimated a typical Singaporean PME's lifetime income using Singstat data and simulated various savings and expense level.

Mathematically speaking, it is within easy reach for anyone who has a proper Tertiary education and average PME income to accumulate enough for retirement as long as they are disciplined and save 25% of their income every year.

Defeatist logic like it's easier said then done and not easy because I fail and those who succeed are only minority because it's easier for them is a self-destructive mentality. It is a psychological reflex mechanism to increase ego and self-esteem and soothes the pain of losing out in life.

Just like the typical IPPT failure, they themselves know they didn't pass because of lack of exercise, not because physically impossible. But the usual excuses are always too busy with work, incentive too little, forgot training plan etc.

Unregistered 31-03-2017 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96164)
Not really. Easy or not is objectively measured, not some subjective depends on individual opinion. I once took a spreadsheet and estimated a typical Singaporean PME's lifetime income using Singstat data and simulated various savings and expense level.

Mathematically speaking, it is within easy reach for anyone who has a proper Tertiary education and average PME income to accumulate enough for retirement as long as they are disciplined and save 25% of their income every year.

Defeatist logic like it's easier said then done and not easy because I fail and those who succeed are only minority because it's easier for them is a self-destructive mentality. It is a psychological reflex mechanism to increase ego and self-esteem and soothes the pain of losing out in life.

Just like the typical IPPT failure, they themselves know they didn't pass because of lack of exercise, not because physically impossible. But the usual excuses are always too busy with work, incentive too little, forgot training plan etc.

It is easy to those with discipline and it is not easy to those without discipline. Sad to say, many people do not have the discipline. So while mathematically it is achievable, statistically many people trail behind along the way. Having a lot of distractions, different priorities and lack of discipline are the reasons why 90% fail.

Unregistered 31-03-2017 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96167)
It is easy to those with discipline and it is not easy to those without discipline. Sad to say, many people do not have the discipline. So while mathematically it is achievable, statistically many people trail behind along the way. Having a lot of distractions, different priorities and lack of discipline are the reasons why 90% fail.

As the savings grow, so is the temptation to reward oneself with more expensive lifestyle - holidays, luxury cars, better quality lifestyle, etc especially when he is still in his prime - below 40.

Unregistered 01-04-2017 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96168)
As the savings grow, so is the temptation to reward oneself with more expensive lifestyle - holidays, luxury cars, better quality lifestyle, etc especially when he is still in his prime - below 40.

What is considered as a Prime age?

Unregistered 01-04-2017 09:29 AM

Prime age is 35 to 45 years old?

Unregistered 01-04-2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96194)
Prime age is 35 to 45 years old?

does it mean anyone beyond 45 is considered Expired already?

still a long way till retirement age of 65.