Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Salary range for project manager (Oil & gas) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/861-salary-range-project-manager-oil-gas.html)

Unregistered 03-02-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20357)
usually starting salary of engineer in oil and gas industry is about how much uh?

About 4.5-5k for the megan MNCs and slightly lower for others.

Unregistered 23-02-2012 01:30 PM

may i know how much the salary range for a Project Manager in O&G who has a total of project management skill of 10 years in which 4 years being spend in oil and gas handling a project worth between USD50-100mill. Thanks guys!

Unregistered 23-02-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 21233)
may i know how much the salary range for a Project Manager in O&G who has a total of project management skill of 10 years in which 4 years being spend in oil and gas handling a project worth between USD50-100mill. Thanks guys!

i dont believe you are handling a project worth between USD50-100mill.
most probably you will be part of the project, so you can't say you are the PM for it.

to be the PM for such a huge project are usually given to expats.

i am a PM from a EPC company

Unregistered 08-03-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20357)
usually starting salary of engineer in oil and gas industry is about how much uh?

$3800/- for ExxonMobil if you manage to get in. Fresh Chemical Engineering graduate. There is another thread that shows the pay. Go look it up.

Unregistered 08-03-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20235)
Too high. I would say 2.7k is reasonable. They need to pay 2.8k min for a Burmese engineer, so 2.7k just undercuts that amount. Remember: cheaper, better, faster.

Recent 2012 January MOM rules, minimum wage for any FOREIGN degree holder is $3000/-. All pay minimum is $3000/-

Unregistered 12-03-2012 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 22031)
$3800/- for ExxonMobil if you manage to get in. Fresh Chemical Engineering graduate. There is another thread that shows the pay. Go look it up.

what about electrical/mechanical engineers in other oil n gas companies like halliburton, kellogg brown or even siemens?

Unregistered 16-03-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 21247)
i dont believe you are handling a project worth between USD50-100mill.
most probably you will be part of the project, so you can't say you are the PM for it.

to be the PM for such a huge project are usually given to expats.

i am a PM from a EPC company

PM VS consultant... the later is better, pay highier. USD1k/day at least. if you know the way, could be tax free. when ever your earning above 300PA, you are not competing much, but how to find ways go about tax.

Unregistered 03-05-2012 08:10 PM

can i ask something off topic? i cant post new thread as im not a registered user..

im a diploma graduate from marine engineering..

just finished NS.. Joined SMOE as project coordinator..

can anyone pls advice me on my route/prospect?

my aim is to become project manager at least..

Unregistered 04-05-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24464)
can i ask something off topic? i cant post new thread as im not a registered user..

im a diploma graduate from marine engineering..

just finished NS.. Joined SMOE as project coordinator..

can anyone pls advice me on my route/prospect?

my aim is to become project manager at least..

What is your job grade currently?

Can tell roughly how many levels you need to climb from there & work out no. of years.

Unregistered 04-05-2012 03:57 PM

It is quite a okay start for your entry to oil and gas field. Try to get big project exposure say production platforms, FPSO and so .. Put the big names on your CV ..

For your jd, do you make any decisions pertaining to projects and handle the clients directly or you do mainly coordination stuff ? Otherwise, you should ask for a project engineer role. There is a difference between project engineer and project coordinator. Otherwise, you gotta get a degree.

You can work 2 to 3 years and jump around as a project engineer or coordinator while gaining different project exposure. With enough experience and responsibilities on your CV, move on the senior pe and finally pm. It will take a really long time for one to be the overall pm for a project. 10 to 15 years minimum.

Unregistered 04-05-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24469)
What is your job grade currently?

Can tell roughly how many levels you need to climb from there & work out no. of years.

Poly fresh grad likely to be N4, project manager is M4 - 5 IIRC

Unregistered 07-05-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24474)
Poly fresh grad likely to be N4, project manager is M4 - 5 IIRC

smoe state my grade is E3.. is that low??

overall what grades are there?

so sorry! im new in the working force.. thats y alot of things i also don know.. needa know where im heading and whether im in the right direction towards project manager..

Unregistered 23-05-2012 06:48 AM

I would like to ask something off topic. Since many O&G folks are there , I have worked 5 years as a process tech in a oil major so any advice on how should i move forward ? or the better options is to still on ?

Unregistered 21-08-2012 06:47 PM

something OOT..would like to ask where's the working location of ExxonMobil coporate sector, like HR or finance, cos i cant seem to find it anywhere online.

thanks

Unregistered 21-08-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27672)
something OOT..would like to ask where's the working location of ExxonMobil coporate sector, like HR or finance, cos i cant seem to find it anywhere online.

thanks

HarbourFront

Unregistered 22-08-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27674)
HarbourFront

thank you very much!!!

Student 12-01-2013 07:06 PM

Hi all, for oil and gas industry, which is degree is more "appropriate"? - Bachelor of Engineering with Honours in Offshore Engineering or Bachelor of Engineering with Honours in Marine Engineering?

Thanks!

Unregistered 31-01-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Student (Post 32377)
Hi all, for oil and gas industry, which is degree is more "appropriate"? - Bachelor of Engineering with Honours in Offshore Engineering or Bachelor of Engineering with Honours in Marine Engineering?

Thanks!

It's interrelated profession. Both are welcomed for FPSO or FPU or similar.

Unregistered 13-03-2013 06:57 PM

anybody from oil and gas services industry can share how are the salaries like for manufacturing engineers or process engineers which does optimizing of processes?

Unregistered 09-05-2013 03:38 PM

transit

If having a electronic engineering degree but have been a engineer in rsaf for 9 yrs .. is there any chance i could transit into project engineer in oil and gas industry?

Unregistered 09-05-2013 09:47 PM

How much does a guy in Exxon mobil with 6yrs exp (since fresh grad, 1st job) earn now as operation support manager, ???

2nd lower degree, in 2007, starting pay ~3.2k at fresh grad

Tin 20-08-2013 09:36 PM

Graduate pm

Hi guys,
just wanted to ask few questions if you would not mind to help out little bit.
I got BSc in construction management and economics, msc in construction project management and in January I'm starting msc in oil and gas management.

What I would like to know is weather companies are employing graduate project managers ( in oil and gas) or you have to start of from management and gradually get to that position ?

I tried to find graduate jobs in oil and gas management but what is coming up is mainly enginering positions.

Also do you know what is the starting salary and how it works with bonuses. I'm currently in uk but will relocate where ever , preferably Australia .

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks

Unregistered 20-08-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36627)
How much does a guy in Exxon mobil with 6yrs exp (since fresh grad, 1st job) earn now as operation support manager, ???

2nd lower degree, in 2007, starting pay ~3.2k at fresh grad

i guess you can ask for at least $6-7k...not to mention the bonuses...

Unregistered 20-08-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tin (Post 41465)
Hi guys,
I got BSc in construction management and economics, msc in construction project management and in January I'm starting msc in oil and gas management.

What I would like to know is weather companies are employing graduate project managers ( in oil and gas) or you have to start of from management and gradually get to that position ?

I tried to find graduate jobs in oil and gas management but what is coming up is mainly enginering positions.

Also do you know what is the starting salary and how it works with bonuses. I'm currently in uk but will relocate where ever , preferably Australia .

Thanks

No companies will hire a graduate for the position of PM even if you have a masters. You gotta start from scratch; usually from a project engineer or coordinator and with a few years of experience, say at least 5 years for small value projects, you can advance to be a PM.

Alternatively, you can start off as a engineer in a certain discipline because some companies do not like a graduate to start off straight in project management as they prefer a graduate to have some field / hands on / direct discipline experience before they will consider you for a project management role. Otherwise, if you do not have the technical experience and does not have the experience on the ground, it's really difficult for you to manage a project. PM need to have a combination of technical, commercial aptitude + strong interpersonal and communications skills.

Otherwise, you can join a graduate programme, management associate program and work your way there ?

Unregistered 21-08-2013 01:28 AM

Port

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41469)
No companies will hire a graduate for the position of PM even if you have a masters. You gotta start from scratch; usually from a project engineer or coordinator and with a few years of experience, say at least 5 years for small value projects, you can advance to be a PM.

Alternatively, you can start off as a engineer in a certain discipline because some companies do not like a graduate to start off straight in project management as they prefer a graduate to have some field / hands on / direct discipline experience before they will consider you for a project management role. Otherwise, if you do not have the technical experience and does not have the experience on the ground, it's really difficult for you to manage a project. PM need to have a combination of technical, commercial aptitude + strong interpersonal and communications skills.

Otherwise, you can join a graduate programme, management associate program and work your way there ?

Thank you for your reply.
Reason why I'm asking is I do not have experience with oil and gas but I was wondering weather it is similar like in construction industry where you can get position after graduating as " graduate project manager" ( that is the title or job description). You don't get to run the projects but you work with more senior members of team, contribute that little or as much as you can and learn.

I would not expect to be PM straight away after completing MSc as I'm well aware that you need experience for that, but weather " graduate project manager" positions are common or not.

Thanks again

By the way do you know about starting salaries?

Unregistered 21-08-2013 09:28 AM

I tried to turn a blind eye to your English in your initial post, but you apparently dont know the difference between weather and whether and repeated the mistake again. Who knows what else you might be confused with. Better brush up your English if you want to be in a managerial position especially if you have to deal with "Ang Mohs"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41473)
Thank you for your reply.
Reason why I'm asking is I do not have experience with oil and gas but I was wondering weather it is similar like in construction industry where you can get position after graduating as " graduate project manager" ( that is the title or job description). You don't get to run the projects but you work with more senior members of team, contribute that little or as much as you can and learn.

I would not expect to be PM straight away after completing MSc as I'm well aware that you need experience for that, but weather " graduate project manager" positions are common or not.

Thanks again

By the way do you know about starting salaries?

Unregistered 21-08-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41474)
I tried to turn a blind eye to your English in your initial post, but you apparently dont know the difference between weather and whether and repeated the mistake again. Who knows what else you might be confused with. Better brush up your English if you want to be in a managerial position especially if you have to deal with "Ang Mohs"

Dude really? Who said I'm confused?! I was asking for advice.
Another thing, English is not my first language, but I speak another 3 on top of that. I might have a dyslexia, but what I lack in writing I make up for in maths.
And as far as I know this forum is not spelling competition.

Unregistered 21-08-2013 07:47 PM

You have a bigger problem than I thought....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41489)
Dude really? Who said I'm confused?! I was asking for advice.
Another thing, English is not my first language, but I speak another 3 on top of that. I might have a dyslexia, but what I lack in writing I make up for in maths.
And as far as I know this forum is not spelling competition.

Unregistered 21-08-2013 08:06 PM

auralts reafon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41495)
You have a bigger problem than I thought....

Sure. Thank you for sharing your " wisdom " with me.

Unregistered 22-08-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tin (Post 41465)
Hi guys,

Thanks

Are you sure you are working in UK now? Your command of English makes me highly doubt whatever you are saying. If you took your master in UK, would you kindly tell us the university? I will try to enroll in that school.

Unregistered 23-08-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41526)
Are you sure you are working in UK now? Your command of English makes me highly doubt whatever you are saying. If you took your master in UK, would you kindly tell us the university? I will try to enroll in that school.

I'm sure!!!! To be honest, what you doubt or you don't is not my problem. My written English is none of your concern. I have asked the question about the industry, not what you think of my written English. So if you have nothing to contribute, why even bother?

Have you ever heard of proof reading services that universities offer to students?! I'm sure if you have attended one, you would be well aware of that!

buyselloil 11-10-2013 01:22 PM

My company deals deals with trading of oils. Pls PM me if u have any suppliers or buyers. Thanks!

henrymartin88 11-11-2013 05:00 PM

Project Manager With Diploma $ 6,500

Unregistered 12-11-2013 03:20 PM

@ the young man who wishes to become a PM in O&G,

I wish to give an opinion based on my 26 years experience in O&G where over 10 years as PM. My criteria for hiring eng. graduate inot an O&G MNC would be a minimum 6 years exp in O&G for PE, at least 10-15 years for SPE. You would need to have > 15 years before you could call yourself a qualified PM in O&G no matter what is your educational level.

Although you might be able to attend project management courses or having MBA, the project manager post requires skills and experiences not just knowledge. Skills are derived from experiences. Besides that PM is only for those who are know how to appreciate and apply - the knowledge, skills and possess traits of a project manager. It ranges from good discipline, sharpness of the mind, pro-active and ahead of schedule, solve the problem before it happens, cost & profit concious, high helicopter view of thing, eloquent, good leadership, powerful writing skill, possess certain philosophies, eg, "do it fast & with quality", etc. For these sort of qualities you would be paid between USD20k USD40k per month in Malaysia/Spore in the true O&G. You could get higher no. in middle east, Russia, Kazahstan, Autralia, Canada...................

So then, you would be wondering how could it be possible for a 26 or 30 years old to possess the O&G PM qualitifications and experences & to be paid that sort of salaries? The answer is it is not possible. There is no short cut. However, small backyard companies somewhere would be willing to employ you as PM...but it is not the same thing..

Unregistered 28-11-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 45175)

I wish to give an opinion based on my 26 years experience in O&G where over 10 years as PM. My criteria for hiring eng. graduate inot an O&G MNC would be a minimum 6 years exp in O&G for PE, at least 10-15 years for SPE. You would need to have > 15 years before you could call yourself a qualified PM in O&G no matter what is your educational level.

Although you might be able to attend project management courses or having MBA, the project manager post requires skills and experiences not just knowledge. Skills are derived from experiences. Besides that PM is only for those who are know how to appreciate and apply - the knowledge, skills and possess traits of a project manager. It ranges from good discipline, sharpness of the mind, pro-active and ahead of schedule, solve the problem before it happens, cost & profit concious, high helicopter view of thing, eloquent, good leadership, powerful writing skill, possess certain philosophies, eg, "do it fast & with quality", etc. For these sort of qualities you would be paid between USD20k USD40k per month in Malaysia/Spore in the true O&G. You could get higher no. in middle east, Russia, Kazahstan, Autralia, Canada...................

So then, you would be wondering how could it be possible for a 26 or 30 years old to possess the O&G PM qualitifications and experences & to be paid that sort of salaries? The answer is it is not possible. There is no short cut. However, small backyard companies somewhere would be willing to employ you as PM...but it is not the same thing..

Hi, I am interested in joining the oil and gas industry. is local company like rotary engineering in the EPC sector provides good opportunity? any comments? thanks

Unregistered 28-11-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 45175)

I somewhat agree with you.
You are not going to command USD20k and above in Singapore oil and gas if you do not go offshore and if you are not on an expat package.

But i agree with you on the experience. Without going through numerious projects as a field engineer offshore, it will be very difficult for you to become a project manager, no matter what qualifications you have.

Unregistered 28-11-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 45812)
Hi, I am interested in joining the oil and gas industry. is local company like rotary engineering in the EPC sector provides good opportunity? any comments? thanks

if you want to join oil and gas companies, go apply for McDermott, Saipem, Subsea 7, Global etc....these are the real oil and gas companies

Unregistered 28-11-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 45817)
if you want to join oil and gas companies, go apply for McDermott, Saipem, Subsea 7, Global etc....these are the real oil and gas companies

me is not an engineer. doing corporate function as such opening quite limited.

Unregistered 05-12-2013 04:41 PM

looking for new oil&gas jobs

I am degree of mech. engineering, 32yrs
piping mechanical incharge

I want to joint to Exxon or shell

pls advised and recommended

thank you
vincent
[email protected]

Unregistered 10-03-2016 10:14 AM

O&G Software consultant

Hi guys, seems like there's been great talk here. I've just gone through the selection process at one of the top O&G software firms as a consultant. Would you guys have any idea of what salary I should ask for? (I'm a fresh grad, local uni)

Thanks in advance.