Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   am I underpaid? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/833-am-i-underpaid.html)

wallflower 27-02-2010 12:59 AM

am I underpaid?

I'm drawing a salary of 2.1k and i'm an nus graduate. granted i graduated and got a job during the economic crisis period, but do you think what i'm drawing is market rate?

athome 27-02-2010 03:08 AM

You really should mention what job you are doing, and what school you graduated from with what degree, etc.

Unregistered 01-04-2010 04:36 PM

am i underpaid? please advise

I graduated from NTU in 2008 and I am 24 years old this year.

I worked in a shipyard as a marketing assistant after I graduated and I was making $2,200/month. I stayed in this job for 6 months and left as I felt I was not learning anything. I was made to photocopy, compile papers and put them into files mostly.

Now, I am working as a sales exec in a small semiconductor trading company and it has been 10 months. I get a basic pay of $2,000/month + commission. However, I still make less than $2,400/month plus commission. I work monday to friday 8.30 AM to 8.00PM.

Please advise if I am being underpaid or I just suck at what I do. My friends are getting paid at least $3,000 as a fresh graduate and they are not any different from me.

My Background:
I graduated from NTU Business (Marketing) - 2nd Lower. My grades are not fantastic, but not too bad as well, mostly Bs and some As (GPA: 3.8/5.0). I was quite active in school, participating in one exchange programme and one global summer studies programme.

Unregistered 01-04-2010 09:21 PM

Yups. Think you are underpaid.

My background:
2nd upper Science Graduate (NUS). Class of 2007. Civil Servant.
Earning $4.4k gross monthly. I'm not a scholar btw.

Unregistered 01-04-2010 09:27 PM

[QUOTE=Unregistered;5605]However, I still make less than $2,400/month plus commission. I work monday to friday 8.30 AM to 8.00PM.[/b]

You are severely underpaid considering your working hours.

Unregistered 03-04-2010 11:27 AM

confuses for

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5606)
Yups. Think you are underpaid.

My background:
2nd upper Science Graduate (NUS). Class of 2007. Civil Servant.
Earning $4.4k gross monthly. I'm not a scholar btw.

wow 4.4k gross monthly

can i know how do you calculate your 4.4k, is it derive from from annual salary(inclusive all bonus & allowance) divided by 12 ?? or is it just just your plain ( monthly basic + allowance monthly)

I dunno civil servant can earn so much.
I suppose you are a male (with NS), that why your starting pay in 2007 with 2nd upper can be high.

I had friend working in defence ministry (DXO) 2nd upper NTU engineering getting ($3600/month (with NS) as fresh graduate.

Can i know base on your experience as civil servant, how much is the annual increment, how much in term of number? of how many percentage?

I assume that monthly basic as of 2010 is $4400 and you start your job in july/2007, as of 2010 you should have given 2 annual increment, 1 in 2008 and 1 in 2009. Note: I think there should be another annual increment for 2010 in the later part of year 2010.

So I assume your starting pay is 3600, after 2 increment , you are getting 4400. That mean each annual increment is about $400. And converted to % is = 10% annual increment. That is alot.

Info:
NTU mechanical graduate in 2007
2nd lower class
Working under local STEngg Group
Moi Annual increment in 3.2% in 2008, pay freeze in 2009.
My starting pay in 2007 is 2.9k.

That why I am asking you out of my curiously--> Can i know base on your experience as civil servant, how much is the annual increment, how much in term of number/value? or how many percentage?

Please advice thank you.

Unregistered 04-04-2010 11:16 PM

Thank you for the feedback

Hey guys, thank you very much for your feedback.

Because, I am considering quitting my job again.

By the way, the company do not even give out AWS, seriously.

Windy 05-04-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5605)
I graduated from NTU in 2008 and I am 24 years old this year.

I worked in a shipyard as a marketing assistant after I graduated and I was making $2,200/month. I stayed in this job for 6 months and left as I felt I was not learning anything. I was made to photocopy, compile papers and put them into files mostly.

Now, I am working as a sales exec in a small semiconductor trading company and it has been 10 months. I get a basic pay of $2,000/month + commission. However, I still make less than $2,400/month plus commission. I work monday to friday 8.30 AM to 8.00PM.

Please advise if I am being underpaid or I just suck at what I do. My friends are getting paid at least $3,000 as a fresh graduate and they are not any different from me.

My Background:
I graduated from NTU Business (Marketing) - 2nd Lower. My grades are not fantastic, but not too bad as well, mostly Bs and some As (GPA: 3.8/5.0). I was quite active in school, participating in one exchange programme and one global summer studies programme.

$2.4K as a sales person is indeed low but your 1st job of 2.2K doing all admin stuff is in fact pretty high :). It depends on what you're working on, doesn't matter what you graduate as. I've got lawyer friends working as editors and journalist.

What is important is what do you really want in life? Decide on what you want to do before thinking about $$.

Unregistered 07-04-2010 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5615)
wow 4.4k gross monthly

can i know how do you calculate your 4.4k, is it derive from from annual salary(inclusive all bonus & allowance) divided by 12 ?? or is it just just your plain ( monthly basic + allowance monthly)

I dunno civil servant can earn so much.
I suppose you are a male (with NS), that why your starting pay in 2007 with 2nd upper can be high.

I had friend working in defence ministry (DXO) 2nd upper NTU engineering getting ($3600/month (with NS) as fresh graduate.

Can i know base on your experience as civil servant, how much is the annual increment, how much in term of number? of how many percentage?

I assume that monthly basic as of 2010 is $4400 and you start your job in july/2007, as of 2010 you should have given 2 annual increment, 1 in 2008 and 1 in 2009. Note: I think there should be another annual increment for 2010 in the later part of year 2010.

So I assume your starting pay is 3600, after 2 increment , you are getting 4400. That mean each annual increment is about $400. And converted to % is = 10% annual increment. That is alot.

Info:
NTU mechanical graduate in 2007
2nd lower class
Working under local STEngg Group
Moi Annual increment in 3.2% in 2008, pay freeze in 2009.
My starting pay in 2007 is 2.9k.

That why I am asking you out of my curiously--> Can i know base on your experience as civil servant, how much is the annual increment, how much in term of number/value? or how many percentage?

Please advice thank you.

$4.4k is my gross monthly salary (doesnt include the bonuses).
Starting pay was $3.3k in 2007
Went up to $3.6k in 2008
Then to $3.8k in 2009
Then to $4.4k in 2010

By default, you get an annual increase in pay (called merit increment;dependent whether u perform well at work) and on top of that a promotional increment (if you get promoted to a higher job-grade)

Unregistered 08-04-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5646)
Went up to $3.6k in 2008
Then to $3.8k in 2009
Then to $4.4k in 2010

By default, you get an annual increase in pay (called merit increment;dependent whether u perform well at work) and on top of that a promotional increment (if you get promoted to a higher job-grade)

thank for that info.
so which ministry are you in?

no_marnee 16-04-2010 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5646)
Went up to $3.6k in 2008
Then to $3.8k in 2009
Then to $4.4k in 2010

wah chiu all earn shoo much in civil service ah?

moi ish formerly from ntu; grad. 2004, 1st crass; grad. 2006, masters.
only earn 4.4k/mth after working for 6 years in offshore engrg. work.
btw, moi job have no bonus ones (only aws & it have to return to govt. thru' income tax :( ) ~ though moi ish perm. staff & works from 0830 to 2100 everyday including weekends.

welly welly sad.

*sob sob sob*

Unregistered 17-04-2010 09:58 PM

Career Progression in Big 4 advisory

Hi,

Fresh Grad looking for a position in one of the big 4 in their advisory/consulting position, in IT or risk advisory.

Assuming a fresh grad starts out as an associate, what are the number of years before the he move the ladder (assuming average to above average performance) and what are the career progression in the big 4 (i.e. associate to senior associate to asst mgr? to mgr? to senior mgr ?)

Do let me know. Appreciate if could let me know the expected salary ranges and bonuses in the big 4.

thanks.

Unregistered 21-04-2010 03:31 PM

marcoms exec

could someone advise me on the pay/leave standards now for:

marketing communications executive
-dip in mass comm
-2yrs experience in marketing (retail)
-currently in 2nd job, also marketing for retail related
-$2k monthly with 7days AL

still under probation now, company mentioned verbally that they'll give an increment when i get my confirmation. thus, am wondering how much should i request for (2.3k possible?) and would like to ask for more AL as well (7 days AL is really the bare min by MOM right?!)

realised i was given the least AL cos the director decided to change the policy earlier this yr so am thinking of requesting for more. has anyone tried asking for more AL before?

Appreciate if someone would revert. thanks thanks! :)

Unregistered 22-04-2010 03:38 PM

I am earning 2K/month (no bonuses, allowances, etc.) as a Marketing Executive in the private sector. I graduated from SIM-RMIT with a Degree in Marketing at the height of the economic crisis in 09' and thought it reasonable at that time. Am I underpaid?

Unregistered 23-04-2010 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5712)
Hi,

Fresh Grad looking for a position in one of the big 4 in their advisory/consulting position, in IT or risk advisory.

Assuming a fresh grad starts out as an associate, what are the number of years before the he move the ladder (assuming average to above average performance) and what are the career progression in the big 4 (i.e. associate to senior associate to asst mgr? to mgr? to senior mgr ?)

Do let me know. Appreciate if could let me know the expected salary ranges and bonuses in the big 4.

thanks.

for big 4 the standard is 2.4k monthly for freshie

Unregistered 25-04-2010 06:36 PM

m i underpaid

work in IB FO, grad last yr...
take home 1.6k after cpf.
work 7 am to (between 7-11)pm...work on weekend sometimes

Unregistered 25-04-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5764)

which IB? and what role in FO?

Unregistered 25-04-2010 11:48 PM

m i underpaid

i m in one of sales/trading/research..

Unregistered 26-04-2010 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5767)
i m in one of sales/trading/research..

i think you are severely underpaid, or it could be that i'm out of touch with the industry.

Unregistered 29-04-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5764)

I am not sure whether you are telling the truth. I don't know which IB (even the IBD of local banks) pays FO guys so little. Granted research is the lowest paid but 1.6k after CPF is really pushing it.

Unregistered 29-04-2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5788)
I am not sure whether you are telling the truth. I don't know which IB (even the IBD of local banks) pays FO guys so little. Granted research is the lowest paid but 1.6k after CPF is really pushing it.

maybe he meant 1.6k per fortnight, which seems more reasonable. or even per week.

jobby-job 02-05-2010 11:10 PM

Hi guys,

I will be graduating soon as a 2nd class Mech Engin from NUS and I am curious about the starting pay for fresh grads of my qualification. The recent grad survey says 2.9k is the standard pay but is it true? I do know of some whose starting pay is above 3 k (no kidding).

I just recently found a job as a quantity surveyor with pay of 2.3 to 2.4 k per mth. Is it reasonable for this industry and/or my qualification? Also, according to 'market rate', how much and how frequent should the increment be?

Btw, it seems that job prospects this year are much better. I know of quite a number who already landed jobs before graduation.

Many thanks in advance :P

Unregistered 03-05-2010 10:28 PM

hi i got a qns:

when talk about salary, let say engineer for a poly roughly 1.8k,
so the 1.8k is before CPF or after CPF contribution?

if 1.8k before CPF, take home will be $1440. (CPF20% by us right??)

so as a engineer, our take home pay is 1.4k or 1.8?
TIA!~!

Unregistered 03-05-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5827)
hi i got a qns:

when talk about salary, let say engineer for a poly roughly 1.8k,
so the 1.8k is before CPF or after CPF contribution?

if 1.8k before CPF, take home will be $1440. (CPF20% by us right??)

so as a engineer, our take home pay is 1.4k or 1.8?
TIA!~!

Usually the salaries people quote are gross salaries, are these are before CPF. So you are right - after CPF, the take home will be 20% less.

Unregistered 07-05-2010 01:48 AM

Hi guys. I'm from the class of 2009 NTU Science 3rd class Hons and JLPT1(1 is the highest level).
Currently in a well established Jap MNC doing a Jap-speaking Project Coordination cum PA sort of job. I get to travel to other group companies worldwide on biz trips and I have a great boss but...
2.2k/mth
I feel severely underpaid because it seems like my extra "skill" in Japanese didn't help me get more $ at all, in fact it's way lower than what peeps at the civil service are earning.

Boon Seow 07-05-2010 11:53 PM

kerosene redness

Hi everyone,

I graduated with First Class Hons in UK, Master degree from Australia, and working in the advertising industry.

Now 30 years old, making decent salary I think, $9k basic without commission. Got AWS & Annual Increment.

Do you think this is fair market value or underpaid?

Unregistered 09-05-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5789)
maybe he meant 1.6k per fortnight, which seems more reasonable. or even per week.

i m not lying... i take home 1.6k after cpf and i m thinking to back office or middle office where they pay more... i m in a BB sales/trading/research (nt convenient to say much) but i am not in the IBD...

i think IB OPs get paid more than me ...

what salary should i be expecting... ? I dun think asking for quardruple my current salary will be reasonable ???????

Unregistered 09-05-2010 09:13 PM

Graduated with 2nd upper in NUS Engineering (biggest mistake of my life). Started as a Project Manager in an US MNC with 3.8K/mth in 2005. Quit in Jan 10 as I have enough of my 14 hours a day job. Was drawing close to 7K/mth when I left.

Currently, doing full time stock trading. Average 4~5k/Mth. I'm joining a brokage soon as a dealer, salary 2.5K/mth + commission.

I believe strongly in passion. You gotta have passion in what you do and the money will come.

Unregistered 12-05-2010 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5858)
Hi guys. I'm from the class of 2009 NTU Science 3rd class Hons and JLPT1(1 is the highest level).
Currently in a well established Jap MNC doing a Jap-speaking Project Coordination cum PA sort of job. I get to travel to other group companies worldwide on biz trips and I have a great boss but...
2.2k/mth
I feel severely underpaid because it seems like my extra "skill" in Japanese didn't help me get more $ at all, in fact it's way lower than what peeps at the civil service are earning.

Japanese companies are infamous for their low salary especially towards Non-Japanese. Whether you speak Japanese or not, they dont really care.

Change a job my friend.

Unregistered 12-05-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5766)
which IB? and what role in FO?

Work in Macdonalds will earn you higher pay given you long hours?

Unregistered 04-06-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5918)
Work in Macdonalds will earn you higher pay given you long hours?

should I really move to Macdonalds and quit my stint in a BB FO?

I too believe strongly in passion. I have passion in what i do and the money only goes to the VPs and MDs. wheras I feel severly exploited, underpaid and humilated, doing **** work and i think the secretary is higher paid than me.

I used to think many pple would want my job but my pay is killing my passion and I cant even lead a normal lifestyle with my limited pay..

i can only rant here...

take home 1.6k is biggest joke of all time. i am the biggest joke of all time eventhough many pple envy my job

Unregistered 04-06-2010 04:21 PM

Does anyone know anything about the retail industry here?

I'm an NTU Biz Grad (2nd Lower) and got offered a management trainee job in the retail industry for ~$2,300 per month. Just wondering if it's fair pay, and what kind of increment I should expect?

Unregistered 04-06-2010 05:07 PM

fund management - brokerage/IB

How is my pay rated in my field? I am in my 3rd year of experience but just joined this company.

Grad in 2007 with distance learning degree, no honours though.

Getting $46k gross PA now, if plus incentive got abt $50k - $52k PA, no AWS but got PB. But I duno abt how much bonus i will get becos i just joined not long ago. Previously i came from a global bank in related field.

At first i feel i'm paid within mkt rate, but after reading so much here, i feel i might just be underpaid. What do you all think?

Unregistered 04-06-2010 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6114)
Does anyone know anything about the retail industry here?

I'm an NTU Biz Grad (2nd Lower) and got offered a management trainee job in the retail industry for ~$2,300 per month. Just wondering if it's fair pay, and what kind of increment I should expect?

Biz grad why go into retail industry? Well, afaik retail industry is definitely not lucrative, unless u're talking abt retail banking which is quite good if chiong in sales line :P

Unregistered 04-06-2010 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6117)
Biz grad why go into retail industry? Well, afaik retail industry is definitely not lucrative, unless u're talking abt retail banking which is quite good if chiong in sales line :P

It's my interest :P I already know that it's not a lucrative industry, and I don't really mind. What I'd like to know is the market rate for a job in the retail industry and what I can expect to earn in a management position.

Unregistered 04-06-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6119)
It's my interest :P I already know that it's not a lucrative industry, and I don't really mind. What I'd like to know is the market rate for a job in the retail industry and what I can expect to earn in a management position.

I would say ur pay is within mkt rate. Increment probably not alot until u finish ur course. Then pay rise and promotion should be quite fast. Probably 60k pa for a retail manager after 5 or 6 yrs?

Unregistered 05-06-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6110)

I too believe strongly in passion. I have passion in what i do and the money only goes to the VPs and MDs. wheras I feel severly exploited, underpaid and humilated, doing **** work and i think the secretary is higher paid than me.

I used to think many pple would want my job but my pay is killing my passion and I cant even lead a normal lifestyle with my limited pay..

i can only rant here...

take home 1.6k is biggest joke of all time. i am the biggest joke of all time eventhough many pple envy my job

Don't despair. Always remember to move around (change bank) every 2-3 years to get the jump in salary. Even doing same job at a different bank can pay you easily 20% more!

So time to look around my friend!

Unregistered 15-06-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6110)

i can only rant here...

Sorry but what does BB stand for? :P i get FO as front office. Anyway i thought nowadays only those graduates who start of in consumer banking operations get a starting pay of like 2k/mth....

I started in SME banking ops as a contract staff earning only 1800/mth then 2k/mth after becoming a perm staff.

2k - 2.2k after moving to middle office
2.2k - 2.4k following year increment
2.4k - 2.9k after being retained after resigning
2.9k - 3.8k moving to another bank
3.8k - 4k increment for the following year
4k-4.4k moving to another bank.

So after 5 years since starting i have gone from 1.8k to 4.4k. still find it a tad low tho. So depending on what you are doing (especially if you know the job is of high value outside) just grit your teeth and take that shitty pay for at LEAST ONE year. Maybe 2 if you can just for the experience. After that you can jump ship easily especially if what you are doing is in high demand. People will just waive 20-30% increments at you to get you to come over.

Unregistered 17-06-2010 01:19 AM

I have been offered a part-time (22-hour work week) lecturer position in a local polytechnic, and was offered a pay package of around SGD1700/month (gross), with no benefits.

Previously, I was holding a similar teaching position for a 10-hour work week at SGD75/hour which works out to be SGD3000/month.

Am I severely under-paid? How much does a full-time entry-level poly lecturer earn? Is SGD4000/month a good starting full-time pay?

My background:

2 separate Bachelor's Degrees from NUS
Teaching humanities subject
1 year teaching experience

Unregistered 17-06-2010 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 6233)
I have been offered a part-time (22-hour work week) lecturer position in a local polytechnic, and was offered a pay package of around SGD1700/month (gross), with no benefits.

Previously, I was holding a similar teaching position for a 10-hour work week at SGD75/hour which works out to be SGD3000/month.

Am I severely under-paid? How much does a full-time entry-level poly lecturer earn? Is SGD4000/month a good starting full-time pay?

My background:

2 separate Bachelor's Degrees from NUS
Teaching humanities subject
1 year teaching experience

Poly Lecturers salary often depend on the No of years industry experience that you have rather than how many degrees or part time teaching exp. 2K odd for part time poly lecturer is norm, but the private ones pays more (your 3k?)

For full time positions, entry level with at least 2 years of good experience (industry( and good academic records will get you 3 - 4K. That is the norm