Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How much are you earning per annum? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/831-how-much-you-earning-per-annum.html)

Unregistered 05-04-2014 07:21 PM

I earned exactly the same when I was 35, 20 years ago. My colleagues and I used to joke that our pay was matched to our age. It was like that for a while - we earned $3.3k when we were 33, $3.4k at 34, and $3.5k at 35.

Luckily after 35, things got much better.

But hey, that was 20 years ago. Now I heard new graduates are already commanding $3k - $4k as starting pay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50223)
Poor soul, 35, earn only $3.5k pm. Wife, 28, earn only $2.5k pm. Luckily we can afford a 3 room BTO HDB flat. Bought very cheap. Thank you HDB.

Unregistered 05-04-2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50223)
Poor soul, 35, earn only $3.5k pm. Wife, 28, earn only $2.5k pm. Luckily we can afford a 3 room BTO HDB flat. Bought very cheap. Thank you HDB.

You are already lucky. I'm 45 and only earning $3k pm. Yes, only $3k. To make matters worse for my ego, my wife, 40, earns $5k pm. Just be contented.

Unregistered 06-04-2014 08:11 AM

*****.org
halaltube.com

Congratulations on your financial independence.

You are a kind person. Not many millionaires would devote their precious time to do charity work to help the poor and needy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50179)
I was working in the corporate sector for more than 20 years, moving up the ranks over the years. I was earning very well but was not happy with the lifestyle. I was very stressed with the tight deadlines and schedules. My life was governed by my calendar. I also feel very guilty for not spending enough time with my wife, children and parents. So quietly, I promised to myself that I will get out of this rate race as fast as I can by building up my wealth so that I no longer need to work for someone else. I strived to be financially independent.

My patience and peseverance finally paid off. Through my skillful investment moves, I am now not debt free. I finished paying off my condo mortgage, paid off my car loan and other personal loans. I have also built up an investment portfolio that gives me an annual dividend income of $70k pa and I am also able to generate a trading profit of $30k pa. This income is now higher than my annual expenses of $80k pa. My wife can practically save her $90k pa salary if she wishes too, but she is kind enough to chip in $30k of the annual household expenses. I channel my extra savings back into my portfolio which is growing nicely.

As a millionaire, now I have more time to spend with my family and do social work to give back to society.

Unregistered 06-04-2014 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50230)
You are already lucky. I'm 45 and only earning $3k pm. Yes, only $3k. To make matters worse for my ego, my wife, 40, earns $5k pm. Just be contented.

I am 45 and i make $10k pm only.
My wife is 45 and she makes $15k pm+nice bonus.
I understand it feels bad for ego.

Unregistered 06-04-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50236)
I am 45 and i make $10k pm only.
My wife is 45 and she makes $15k pm+nice bonus.
I understand it feels bad for ego.

I'm 46, I make $6k pm. Luckily my wife, 43, makes only $4k pm. It would be a great shame if she earns more than me. We paid off our condo mortgage.

You both earn so much. Are you staying in Sentosa Cove?

Unregistered 06-04-2014 02:46 PM

I am 44, working as a mid level manager, getting only $105k pa. My wife, 41, also a manager, earns $114k pa. We share the monthly mortgage payment of our luxury condo. I pay for the car monthly loan, petrol, maintenance, road tax and all related car expenses, the kid's tuition, our other loan, insurance, etc. I only save $20k pa. My wife takes care of the groceries, kids' pocket money and her personal shopping. She saves $40k pa.

Even though I earn less, I spend more for the family. I will have less for retirement. My wife will have more for retirement. I think I may need to drive a taxi when I retire at 65.

Do you guys have the same experience as me? Am I stupid? Please share. Thanks.

Unregistered 06-04-2014 03:12 PM

If the wife earns more (say >20% more) than the husband, will the husband feel

Happy that the woman is capable and can share the burden of high cost of living in SG and they together can have a better quality of life e.g. live in condo instead of HDB?

Or will the husband feel that his ego has been bruised? And resent the wife?

Or it really depends on the personality of that particular man???

Unregistered 06-04-2014 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50242)
If the wife earns more (say >20% more) than the husband, will the husband feel

Happy that the woman is capable and can share the burden of high cost of living in SG and they together can have a better quality of life e.g. live in condo instead of HDB?

Or will the husband feel that his ego has been bruised? And resent the wife?

Or it really depends on the personality of that particular man???

I think it's quite common nowadays to see women earn more than man in this society.

Its nothing wrong as both will be able to share the high burdens and demands from the daily expenses.

Unregistered 06-04-2014 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50244)
I think it's quite common nowadays to see women earn more than man in this society.

Its nothing wrong as both will be able to share the high burdens and demands from the daily expenses.

There are many cases of wives earning more than husbands. There is a poster here who is a doctor who said she is supporting her family because her husband is jobless. Some husbands get retrenched when they are at the peak of their career due to office politics.

Unregistered 06-04-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50240)
I am 44, working as a mid level manager, getting only $105k pa. My wife, 41, also a manager, earns $114k pa. We share the monthly mortgage payment of our luxury condo. I pay for the car monthly loan, petrol, maintenance, road tax and all related car expenses, the kid's tuition, our other loan, insurance, etc. I only save $20k pa. My wife takes care of the groceries, kids' pocket money and her personal shopping. She saves $40k pa.

Even though I earn less, I spend more for the family. I will have less for retirement. My wife will have more for retirement. I think I may need to drive a taxi when I retire at 65.

Do you guys have the same experience as me? Am I stupid? Please share. Thanks.

I thought your wife would be grateful that you are doing (more than) 50% part to support the family. Surely she noticed. I think all women would appreciate that, even if she does not say it out. Such things are good for harmony and positive feelings between husband and wife