Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How is life as a doctor in Singapore? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/793-how-life-doctor-singapore.html)

Unregistered 20-07-2021 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178063)
The nus dukies are slightly weaker clinically.
But this is not their fault coz they simply just dont have enough ward experience.

But that being said some times their first degree is useful, for example those with background with physical chem or maths

I was discussing stewart approach to acid and bases to my residents.
Only a duke could understand the equations.

In my field, people like severinghaus who had a prior degree in physics are more inventive.

So go ahead and apply make sure you are good in your original field. And try to see things

Is there anything named after severinghaus? Not even the blood gas analysis machine is named after him.

But we have lots of hospitals named after businessmen. KTP, TTS, John Hopkins....
Medical schools also named after businessmen YLL.

Unregistered 20-07-2021 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178088)
Is there anything named after severinghaus? Not even the blood gas analysis machine is named after him.

But we have lots of hospitals named after businessmen. KTP, TTS, John Hopkins....

Someone already mentioned above thats its moral complacency of the ruling elite that rich businessmen + bankers have more respect and higher pay than doctors + scientists. This world is quite messed up.

Unregistered 20-07-2021 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178088)

Coz they donated 150million dollars.
You can name duke nus after yourself if u donate 300million now.

I see nothing wrong with it

Stamford , yale , darmouth all after named after their donors.

There are 20,000 doctors in singapore.

But there are very few donors who are willing to donate 300million.

Lets face it money is impt.
I see so many doctors jump ship to pte when public cant offer them the pay they want. And they crawl back when their pte practice fail.

Unregistered 20-07-2021 04:07 PM

Just curious, are asthestics services allowed to operate under phase 2a heightened alert?

Unregistered 20-07-2021 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178063)
The nus dukies are slightly weaker clinically.
But this is not their fault coz they simply just dont have enough ward experience.

But that being said some times their first degree is useful, for example those with background with physical chem or maths

I was discussing stewart approach to acid and bases to my residents.
Only a duke could understand the equations.

In my field, people like severinghaus who had a prior degree in physics are more inventive.

So go ahead and apply make sure you are good in your original field. And try to see things

i had to google what is stewart approach. we are clinicians, not scientist or academia.

Unregistered 20-07-2021 11:33 PM

What alternative careers are there to doctor with a medicine degree

Unregistered 20-07-2021 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178121)
i had to google what is stewart approach. we are clinicians, not scientist or academia.

If you dont use steward, how do you explain why giving excessive normal saline causes acidosis?
If you gp or ortho, i understand your inclination not to learn further.

Unregistered 20-07-2021 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178140)
If you dont use steward, how do you explain why giving excessive normal saline causes acidosis?

Agree only impt for ed icu ot respri advanced im renal.
Anyway too much things to learn.
And not everybody sees inpatients

Unregistered 21-07-2021 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178140)

hahaha ophth here, but previously a medical registrar.
i just check U+E every third day.

Unregistered 21-07-2021 06:14 AM

Post MRCP or MRCS got extra pay? And by how much. Is it worth taking those exams? Which is easier How?How about if I take both of them? Thanks