Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How is life as a doctor in Singapore? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/793-how-life-doctor-singapore.html)

Unregistered 13-10-2020 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147078)
This only applies if you are ceca or FT, as the gahmen loves them very much. If you are overseas sinkie you will generally be discriminated against compared to local NUS/NTU grads, if they even offer you a job at all.

What is a CECA?

Unregistered 13-10-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147181)
Hi!
I have been accepted to a MBBS course in Australia and if I choose to attend, I will graduate in 2025. However, although I find Medicine interesting, I wonder if it will be worth to spend at least 500k on the degree, especially if my end goal is to come back to Singapore and practice.
My main questions will be:
-Although I know I should not be going into Medicine for the pay, in this case, my parents are paying 500k for my education, so I will want to be able to at least earn decent money when/if I get back. How long will it take to say become a certified GP and how much can you earn?
- Many have mentioned in this thread that housemanship for overseas grad may not be easy to get anymore, considering our increased local med intake, and it is getting increasingly competitive. I have also read online that the full impact of LKC grads will be realized in 2023, do you think by 2025, I still stand a chance of getting PGY1 in Singapore?
- Even if I do, how will the progress from PGY1 be like? If I want to specialize, such as in OBGYN or Pediatrics for example, how hard will it be? Will I be stuck as an MO with bad working hours unable to progress for a long time? There are many comments implying that both specialty market and GP market is getting saturated, will it become worse in 5 years time??
- In private practice, hospitals, is there a good working environment? In terms of hospital politics, seniors' guidance etc.
- Lastly, how easy is it to actually make a severe mistake that can cause you to lose your medical license or affect your career progress?

I do not plan on staying on in Australia as well as they are also currently having an internship crisis from what I heard. Furthermore, I enjoy the safety and food in Singapore too much and will want to come back and settle down here. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you :)

Since you are a die hard sinkie you should not go abroad to study medicine.

Why?

Spend 500k some more!

There are now so many spots in sinkieland for medicine why cant you get one here?

Stay in sg and fight for a spot.

Dont go to Oz. Makes no sense if you have no intention to live in Oz.

Unregistered 13-10-2020 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147253)
What is a CECA?

India signed an agreement with Singapore called India-Singapore Comprehensive
Economic Cooperation Agreement. CECA.

Basically means that any Indian national who has professional qualification will have said qualifications recognized as equal to Singapore qualifications.

Eg lawyers engineers accountants doctors.

Unregistered 13-10-2020 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147257)
Since you are a die hard sinkie you should not go abroad to study medicine.

Why?

Spend 500k some more!

There are now so many spots in sinkieland for medicine why cant you get one here?

Stay in sg and fight for a spot.

Dont go to Oz. Makes no sense if you have no intention to live in Oz.

Because his grades cmi

Btw study sinkie medicine is 300k also

Lkc one year 35k * 5 = 175k
Then living expenses is 1k per mth * 60 = 60k
The hdb room rent is 600sgd * 60 = 36k
Total is at least 270k

But since op grades not v good, he gotta top up another 230k to study oz

Unregistered 13-10-2020 06:23 PM

Curious how much a fresh a/con gets per month? From what gathered based on the psychiatrist news awhile back (the one where he was fined 100k) and the news report that it's almost a year worth of salary for him, it works out to around 10k i guess? Add in some 13th month bonus and performance bonus I guess an a/con takes about 150k to 160k home? Not sure if this is accurate because i have also heard that cons take home around 25k per mth for medical specialties (inc fam med cons) and 30k for surgical specialties, so wondering if all these hearsays are even accurate.

Unregistered 13-10-2020 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147262)
Because his grades cmi

Btw study sinkie medicine is 300k also

Lkc one year 35k * 5 = 175k
Then living expenses is 1k per mth * 60 = 60k
The hdb room rent is 600sgd * 60 = 36k
Total is at least 270k

But since op grades not v good, he gotta top up another 230k to study oz

Oh so you want to count.

You forgot to add in the bond value. Probably MORE expensive to study in Sinkieland then!

Ask Prof Tay Boon Kheng. He sent daughter abroad to study med. Son went NUS. He said son more expensive.

Unregistered 14-10-2020 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147281)
Curious how much a fresh a/con gets per month? From what gathered based on the psychiatrist news awhile back (the one where he was fined 100k) and the news report that it's almost a year worth of salary for him, it works out to around 10k i guess? Add in some 13th month bonus and performance bonus I guess an a/con takes about 150k to 160k home? Not sure if this is accurate because i have also heard that cons take home around 25k per mth for medical specialties (inc fam med cons) and 30k for surgical specialties, so wondering if all these hearsays are even accurate.

I think it is around 50k a month.

Unregistered 14-10-2020 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147302)
I think it is around 50k a month.

Such BS. Which AC can make 50k a month? Even Con can barely make 30k per month.

Unregistered 14-10-2020 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 147258)
India signed an agreement with Singapore called India-Singapore Comprehensive
Economic Cooperation Agreement. CECA.

Basically means that any Indian national who has professional qualification will have said qualifications recognized as equal to Singapore qualifications.

Eg lawyers engineers accountants doctors.

Thank you for explaining that. Interesting to see how the medical community reacts to this.

Unregistered 14-10-2020 07:40 PM

AC salary

Depending on speciality, first year AC usually can range between 220-300k a year all in inclusive of performance bonus, 13th month, quality bonus and some overtime/call pay