Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Ways to increase income (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/7852-ways-increase-income.html)

poorguy 05-09-2016 02:18 PM

Eh I am not expecting people tp teach me how to make money but share how they are making extra money outside their day jobs :)

poorguy 05-09-2016 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 90156)
Different poster.

This is like playing with CFDs, win some lose some. I won't classify that as additional monthly income. 40k too small to make passive income, best way is to take up additional jobs like driver, property/insurance sales, tuition, blog shops etc.

Thanks for the suggestions. Are you doing any of these with success?

Unregistered 05-09-2016 02:48 PM

Concentrate on your career first... Ask people to share money making story online is a waste of time and you will still be poor.

Unregistered 05-09-2016 03:29 PM

Crowdfunding, especially those that are reputable and have done their due diligence. Examples include New Union

Unregistered 05-09-2016 04:36 PM

Hi poor guy,

Don't waste your money and time. Go find a part time job such as part time taxi driver, dog walker, coffee shop assistant, part time retail assistant, etc.

Another way is to upgrade your skills so that you can get a better paying job and focus on career.

Yours sincerely,
Rich guy

Quote:

Originally Posted by poorguy (Post 90143)
Hi.

I am starting this thread so that everyone can share how to make e.g. $1000 more per month on top of your current job.

Hope this can provide some useful information, of course the guy who looks out the window everyday might pop by but we can just ignore him.

For me, I am selling put options on some stocks that I do not mind holding.
However, as Apple stock is expensive, I get only about 0.5% return per month on my capital $40,000.

Also, I am also invested in a fund, EXG that pays dividend monthly and the yield is ~7% per year, after US dividend tax.

I did some research on convertible bonds which seem to payout some dividend and provide some upside when stocks go up as can convert to stocks but most are priced above par so haven not shortlisted any so far.

So guys, any good opportunities to share other that COE price going up, look out window, sell HDB flat and retire overseas?

~poorguy

Unregistered 05-09-2016 05:48 PM

I lecture part time. Get $100/hour. Comparable to locum Doctors.. Not bad..

Unregistered 05-09-2016 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poorguy (Post 90143)
Hi.

I am starting this thread so that everyone can share how to make e.g. $1000 more per month on top of your current job.

Hope this can provide some useful information, of course the guy who looks out the window everyday might pop by but we can just ignore him.

For me, I am selling put options on some stocks that I do not mind holding.
However, as Apple stock is expensive, I get only about 0.5% return per month on my capital $40,000.

Also, I am also invested in a fund, EXG that pays dividend monthly and the yield is ~7% per year, after US dividend tax.

I did some research on convertible bonds which seem to payout some dividend and provide some upside when stocks go up as can convert to stocks but most are priced above par so haven not shortlisted any so far.

So guys, any good opportunities to share other that COE price going up, look out window, sell HDB flat and retire overseas?

~poorguy

The eaton fund you are buying does not pay out dividend of 10% yield (i.e. 7% net). What it does is buy into some dividend stocks then sell call options of the underlying securities and payout the dividends + option proceeds to investors.

The drawback of this technique is that it will never get capital appreciation from the underlying securities as anytime the stocks go above strike the option holders will exercise their rights and the fund will be forced to liquidate at lower price. However when the price of the underlying stocks go down, the fund has no counter balance in hedges and will absorb the full write downs.

Long term effect is you have high dividends and deprecating unit price. The fund has dropped by close to 60% since inception due to falling NAV. Out of the 10% yield, I estimate only ~3% are real dividends, the remaining is just round about capital returns. This is not something newbies with little money should be buying.

My 2c.

poorguy 05-09-2016 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 90166)
I lecture part time. Get $100/hour. Comparable to locum Doctors.. Not bad..

Care to share your qualification and how you got the job?

Unregistered 05-09-2016 06:15 PM

I do a bit of part time online projects for startups, usually can make 30-40k extra a year.

Unregistered 05-09-2016 06:38 PM

This OP is c0ckhead of the year.

Such funds are special setups that cater to niche US investors to lower effective total tax rate compared to just buying direct.

In Sg we have no withholding, capital gains, cross-balancing or income tax credits. He end up donating 30% of capital gain to the US treasury vs invest normally and paying 15% standard tax on liquidation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 90167)
The eaton fund you are buying does not pay out dividend of 10% yield (i.e. 7% net). What it does is buy into some dividend stocks then sell call options of the underlying securities and payout the dividends + option proceeds to investors.

The drawback of this technique is that it will never get capital appreciation from the underlying securities as anytime the stocks go above strike the option holders will exercise their rights and the fund will be forced to liquidate at lower price. However when the price of the underlying stocks go down, the fund has no counter balance in hedges and will absorb the full write downs.

Long term effect is you have high dividends and deprecating unit price. The fund has dropped by close to 60% since inception due to falling NAV. Out of the 10% yield, I estimate only ~3% are real dividends, the remaining is just round about capital returns. This is not something newbies with little money should be buying.

My 2c.