Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 01-08-2016 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89006)
I'm #976.

LOL @ burning bridges...you guys overthink things too much...

He's just one of 20 or 30 incoming trainees that they hired for the year. Expect a couple of potential tainees to do a switcheroo around different firms in the intervening years between landing the TC and actuallly starting training.

Unless he's an equity partner with a book of business and a client list, I don't think this is anything more than a minor HR inconvenience. The hiring partner won't even remember his name after a few months.

Talk about thinking too highly of your own importance.

A HR executive in my previous firm (big 4) told me that they blacklist and don't re-hire trainees as lateral-hire associates (when they re-apply again later in their career) who decide to terminate their training contract after it's been signed.

So take that as you will, but I suppose if you are super brilliant they would make an exception...

Unregistered 02-08-2016 01:35 AM

Just sharing some figures i gathered. For the second consecutive year, the Part B has racked up over 650 candidates. Retention rates have gone down especially in "rising mid sized firms". Good luck to everyone.

Unregistered 02-08-2016 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89056)
Just sharing some figures i gathered. For the second consecutive year, the Part B has racked up over 650 candidates. Retention rates have gone down especially in "rising mid sized firms". Good luck to everyone.

They were expecting more than 650, probably around 800, if not for the increased failures in part A.

Unregistered 02-08-2016 12:24 PM

There 670 candidates for Part B this year.

SOURCE: I'm a current candidate, they announced it at the introductory lecture

Unregistered 03-08-2016 11:50 AM

Not an overseas graduate but what's the failing rate like for the new Part A? Heard many grumbles about it. And does failing Part A affects the chance of securing a TC? Understand that SILE is going one step further to scrap supplementary exams for Part A from this year onwards.

Unregistered 03-08-2016 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89106)
Not an overseas graduate but what's the failing rate like for the new Part A? Heard many grumbles about it. And does failing Part A affects the chance of securing a TC? Understand that SILE is going one step further to scrap supplementary exams for Part A from this year onwards.

LOL if you are not an overseas grad why do you care about this? You should just admit that you are an insecure overseas grad.

Yes, failing rate for Part A can be between 20-50%.

Unregistered 03-08-2016 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89106)

Failure rate is 50%. After the supplementary papers, the overall failure rate goes down to 30%. Bear in mind that NY Bar exams only has a [pass] rate of 30%.

Unregistered 03-08-2016 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89056)

you are referring to the firm that does "wall street" work which retained 6 out of 18 trainees?

Unregistered 03-08-2016 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89121)
you are referring to the firm that does "wall street" work which retained 6 out of 18 trainees?

Lol! This is so obvious.

Unregistered 03-08-2016 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89121)

lol the game is up. just another local mid sized firm with flash, jazz and branding

the above market starting salary used to be a big draw. now, that lustre has faded since smart people know that the more senior you become, the narrower the gap with, say, a Big 4 associate's salary will become anyway