Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

inf 28-09-2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146314)
Every firm is different.

I trained with a small law firm... and have been with the same firm for 4+/5 years now. It's the only firm i've ever worked with. lol. Also female.

My thoughts are as follows:

The legal industry is brutal. Whether you're in a big or small or med firm, the first 1-2 years will be tough. The type of difficulties you meet is different at each law firm, but it will never be easy.

My life only got better at year 3. I put my foot down and told my boss that i was at a crossroads. I simply could not keep up with the number of files/amount of work i was being thrown. I was also not earning the kind of pay that would make such a workload fair.

So we came to an agreement where I earn a cut of files... if i didn't want to handle the file, I could reject it and simply not earn from the file (which would then go to other assocs or my boss would handle it himself).

Has been working well for me so far...

I don't think life in law will ever be "easy".. but I'd like to think that life gets slightly better with time. [cant believe im still in practice though. heh.]

Kudos to you for setting grounds for yourself with the talk that you had with your boss at your third year! That's definitely a great thing that you did for yourself.

Unregistered 28-09-2020 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146314)
Every firm is different.

I trained with a small law firm... and have been with the same firm for 4+/5 years now. It's the only firm i've ever worked with. lol. Also female.

My thoughts are as follows:

The legal industry is brutal. Whether you're in a big or small or med firm, the first 1-2 years will be tough. The type of difficulties you meet is different at each law firm, but it will never be easy.

My life only got better at year 3. I put my foot down and told my boss that i was at a crossroads. I simply could not keep up with the number of files/amount of work i was being thrown. I was also not earning the kind of pay that would make such a workload fair.

So we came to an agreement where I earn a cut of files... if i didn't want to handle the file, I could reject it and simply not earn from the file (which would then go to other assocs or my boss would handle it himself).

Has been working well for me so far...

I don't think life in law will ever be "easy".. but I'd like to think that life gets slightly better with time. [cant believe im still in practice though. heh.]

kudos to you

Unregistered 28-09-2020 02:45 PM

How much annual leave do firms usually give?

Unregistered 28-09-2020 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146325)

14 days, if you can take it.
You can bargain for more as you rise.

Unregistered 28-09-2020 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146325)

Depends on size.

Not sure about med/small, but bigger firms give 20+

Unregistered 28-09-2020 03:33 PM

Anywhere hiring?

Unregistered 28-09-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146329)
Anywhere hiring?

careers@gov

Unregistered 28-09-2020 06:30 PM

Everywhere hiring - just that 1)u a good fit 2)u can accept low pay or not

inf 28-09-2020 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146338)
Everywhere hiring - just that 1)u a good fit 2)u can accept low pay or not

The second point is very true.

Unregistered 29-09-2020 02:58 AM

Can anyone advise about the prospects of switching my career to an investment analyst (probably in a bulge bracket bank)? They do ECM and financial regulatory work too and I can say that I have the sufficient legal experience in those areas. Would my current experience be useful for these roles? Thanks!