Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 30-08-2020 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144738)
I have been accepted into the JD program at Columbia, New York, Chicago and Stanford. The first three are approved law schools while Stanford is not. I wish to work in the US, and for that reason Stanford is the obvious choice, but I also don't want to permanently bar myself from the Singapore bar (you never know what the future might hold).

What are the chances of getting an exemption for Stanford law school? I imagine Ministry of Law would be aware of Stanford's reputation and prestige, no?

Stanford and Yale are automatic exemptions. I rejected Harvard for Yale and did not have an issue getting exempted.

This is a bad place to ask this question because salty locals here will try and tell you otherwise. Do not fall for that. Stanford brutally mogs NUS/SMU onto another plane of existence. Very difficult for singaporeans to hide their inferiority complex in the face of an objectively greater human.

Unregistered 30-08-2020 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144738)
I have been accepted into the JD program at Columbia, New York, Chicago and Stanford. The first three are approved law schools while Stanford is not. I wish to work in the US, and for that reason Stanford is the obvious choice, but I also don't want to permanently bar myself from the Singapore bar (you never know what the future might hold).

What are the chances of getting an exemption for Stanford law school? I imagine Ministry of Law would be aware of Stanford's reputation and prestige, no?

Congrats.

Once you've practiced for a bit, you can just take Part A and apply for an exemption for Part B. This issue really should not hold you back from your choice of schools, especially as you can always work in Singapore as foreign law counsel or in a US firm's office in Singapore.

Unregistered 30-08-2020 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144740)
Stanford and Yale are automatic exemptions. I rejected Harvard for Yale and did not have an issue getting exempted.

This is a bad place to ask this question because salty locals here will try and tell you otherwise. Do not fall for that. Stanford brutally mogs NUS/SMU onto another plane of existence. Very difficult for singaporeans to hide their inferiority complex in the face of an objectively greater human.

I don't think a local grad could handle being in the same room as a Stanford or Harvard grad, to be honest. Their ego just won't take it. I am a Cambridge law graduate, and when NUS grads talk to me they always avert their eyes and speak extremely softly/timidly. Those who have the balls to look at my face talk in a tone of reverence and awe, like they're laying their eyes on a truly superior organism.

Not everyone is born equal. Those who are smarter, stronger, taller, better in general will always end up in the elite educational, super prestigous institutions like Harvard/Yale/Princeton/Oxbridge/MIT/Stanford. The students at those schools are destined for greatness. The peasants with birth defects and lower genetic quality are relegated to NUS/SMU. NUS/SMU grads inevitably end up working for their Oxbridge and Ivy League counterparts. Such is life.

Unregistered 30-08-2020 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144742)
I don't think a local grad could handle being in the same room as a Stanford or Harvard grad, to be honest. Their ego just won't take it. I am a Cambridge law graduate, and when NUS grads talk to me they always avert their eyes and speak extremely softly/timidly. Those who have the balls to look at my face talk in a tone of reverence and awe, like they're laying their eyes on a truly superior organism.

Not everyone is born equal. Those who are smarter, stronger, taller, better in general will always end up in the elite educational, super prestigous institutions like Harvard/Yale/Princeton/Oxbridge/MIT/Stanford. The students at those schools are destined for greatness. The peasants with birth defects and lower genetic quality are relegated to NUS/SMU. NUS/SMU grads inevitably end up working for their Oxbridge and Ivy League counterparts. Such is life.

Wow. Your godliness is blinding.

Unregistered 30-08-2020 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144743)
Wow. Your godliness is blinding.

Let me guess, I am conversing with a subhuman NUS amoebae.

Yeah, that's the typical reaction I would expect.

Unregistered 30-08-2020 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144744)
Let me guess, I am conversing with a subhuman NUS amoebae.

Yeah, that's the typical reaction I would expect.

Good try. I'm from Harvard.

Unregistered 30-08-2020 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144746)
Good try. I'm from Harvard.

Ah, so you're the type of person who does an online Harvard course and puts Harvard University on their Linkedin, got it.

Unregistered 30-08-2020 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144750)
Ah, so you're the type of person who does an online Harvard course and puts Harvard University on their Linkedin, got it.

Im from UCL - are you going to bash me too

Unregistered 30-08-2020 09:43 PM

Quote:

I am from NUS and I will cry about your bullying and elitism. Please good Lord spare me.

Unregistered 30-08-2020 09:55 PM

Quote:

I am from NUS and I will cry about your bullying and elitism. Please good Lord spare me.