Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 12-06-2020 03:27 PM

Should I do a tc or stick to current job?

About 4 ish. Downside of not doing Tc obviously is that I can’t clock my pqe.

Unregistered 12-06-2020 03:28 PM

Should I do a tc or stick to current job?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137985)
How much are you being paid? Would be good to understand your circumstances better to advise.

Unregistered 12-06-2020 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137988)

If you think you can take the hours and stress of private practice at least for a few years, that would be ideal because at 4/5 PQE you would be able to jump back in house at a much higher salary than if you stayed on all the way. You may be looking at 10k vs 6/7k by then

Unregistered 12-06-2020 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137993)
If you think you can take the hours and stress of private practice at least for a few years, that would be ideal because at 4/5 PQE you would be able to jump back in house at a much higher salary than if you stayed on all the way. You may be looking at 10k vs 6/7k by then

I think he's saying his salary is 4 ish, not his PQE. OP, if I am not wrong you are currently a legal exec working inhouse earning 4 ish and you are asking us whether you should go do your TC or stay in your current position?

Unregistered 12-06-2020 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137995)
I think he's saying his salary is 4 ish, not his PQE. OP, if I am not wrong you are currently a legal exec working inhouse earning 4 ish and you are asking us whether you should go do your TC or stay in your current position?

Yes, my advice is for him to do his TC because, after working for a couple of years in private practice, he would be able to jump back in house with a higher salary.

Currently, his salary is 4K-ish. After 5 years, maybe 6-7k or even less. If he had gone into private practice, he could jump in house for a salary of maybe 10k.

Unregistered 12-06-2020 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137996)
Yes, my advice is for him to do his TC because, after working for a couple of years in private practice, he would be able to jump back in house with a higher salary.

Currently, his salary is 4K-ish. After 5 years, maybe 6-7k or even less. If he had gone into private practice, he could jump in house for a salary of maybe 10k.

Right, agreed.

Though I do think that his question isn't over whether he should do his TC at all, but whether now is the time to do it.

Personally, I would say a crisis is a good time to be a trainee rather than a full working professional. I would say go get trained and called to the bar asap.

Unregistered 12-06-2020 06:12 PM

Eversheds is ending their jv with HarryE. Will the associates revert to local payscales?

Unregistered 12-06-2020 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138012)
Eversheds is ending their jv with HarryE. Will the associates revert to local payscales?

Shocker. I guess there was always going to be a gap between local firms and international ones. The culture and prestige gap is too insurmountable. RHT also recently parted ways with Taylor Wessing.

This will bring some reality back to impressionable bright eyed graduates who think that joining one of these JLVs or FLAs is equivalent to joining an international firm. The caste system between local lawyers and international law firms is real.

Unregistered 12-06-2020 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138014)
Shocker. I guess there was always going to be a gap between local firms and international ones. The culture and prestige gap is too insurmountable. RHT also recently parted ways with Taylor Wessing.

This will bring some reality back to impressionable bright eyed graduates who think that joining one of these JLVs or FLAs is equivalent to joining an international firm. The caste system between local lawyers and international law firms is real.

Yes, JLVs aren't good especially in this climate. The international side usually doesn't gel with the local side.

Unregistered 12-06-2020 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138012)

The Assocs had always been subjected to local payscale even with the jv.