Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 10-06-2020 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137650)
But even big 4 life span 3 years or less also..

Some departments less than 1 year

Unregistered 10-06-2020 08:54 PM

lawyer fees are very expensive in singapore; however there are plenty of lawyers in india and we all know that lawyers there are the best, their culture is very argumentative.

should we recognise their qualification and allow them to practice law here to offer cheaper better faster services?

Unregistered 10-06-2020 09:08 PM

Any NQs in Big 4 who have been told their starting salary? Just wondering how large the difference will be between small firms and big firms in these times.

Unregistered 10-06-2020 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137696)
lawyer fees are very expensive in singapore; however there are plenty of lawyers in india and we all know that lawyers there are the best, their culture is very argumentative.

should we recognise their qualification and allow them to practice law here to offer cheaper better faster services?

If they can pass the Bar why not

Unregistered 10-06-2020 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137703)
Any NQs in Big 4 who have been told their starting salary? Just wondering how large the difference will be between small firms and big firms in these times.

I doubt there'll be a difference. Barring A&G I think the rest of the B4 are still hiring despite not retaining 100%

Unregistered 10-06-2020 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137488)
Unretained trainee here. Has anyone applied to the Big 4 vacancies or received interviews from the Big 4 recently?

I'm looking at a couple of corporate positions for NQs and thinking of applying.

Called in 2019. Trained at small firm. Started as assoc in different small firm. Transferred to Big 4 just before CB.

My tip is that sometimes you can distinguish yourself through your work, if not your pedigree (in terms of previous employment/internships etc). Starting at a small firm may give you the opportunity to do more. Within your first year at a smaller firm you may have done more complex work (if for smaller files) than your compeers in Big 4. Be relentless in pushing for opportunities, admit early if you're out of your depth, accept all help offered to you in good faith, and be proactive in terms of developing and refining your skills and workflow.

Although I think all firms are likely to be a lot more conservative re: hiring, post-CB. The axe hasn't fallen yet, but the writing's on the wall.

Unregistered 10-06-2020 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137716)
I doubt there'll be a difference. Barring A&G I think the rest of the B4 are still hiring despite not retaining 100%

A&G not hiring?

Unregistered 10-06-2020 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137719)
A&G not hiring?

Oops misspoke, came out wrong. I'm not sure if A&G is hiring - I haven't seen listings

Unregistered 11-06-2020 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 137744)
Oops misspoke, came out wrong. I'm not sure if A&G is hiring - I haven't seen listings

4.5k NQ at big4 firm. shocking but true.

Unregistered 11-06-2020 12:07 AM

Setting a bad precedent for future NQ pay