Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 24-06-2022 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223200)
Thoughts? Just give specific names of the firm. How you expecting us to guess the names of the firms is it?

lol he/she said dual qualified liao. if the firm is named, that's as good as doxxing him/herself.

Unregistered 24-06-2022 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223135)
Lol nah, that's for the Pinsent side.. the Mpillay side doesn't pay that.

I think NQ might be 7.5 after revision. Not sure though.

Unregistered 24-06-2022 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223180)
It's not rare at all. Just off the top of my head:

US: Dechert, JD, HL, K&S, Sidley, Shearman, W&C
MC: A&O, CC, LL, Freshfields
SC: Ashurst, HSF, NRF

And many of them do hire SG-qualified associates, though these tend to be people with stellar credentials (ex-JLC, NUS FCH/SMU summa, Oxbridge, international moot champions, etc). There is a much greater emphasis on academics and raw intelligence given the nature of disputes work at that level which calls for intricate legal analysis and argumentation.

Looking at the linkedin profiles of singaporeans in above firms, think you are correcct re the top US firms and MC.

Also, Hogan Lovells is silver circle, not US right?

Dont think the same applies for SC though…

Unregistered 24-06-2022 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223186)
Currently a 2PQE Assoc doing Corp in mid sized firm (20-30 pax headcount). Not Big 4 or "Big 5"

Firm is featured in Legal 500 and ST. Dual qualified looking around for exit prospects.

Any thoughts? Would it be better to join a Big 4 or try my luck at the offshores?

Depends on where you're looking to apply to... MC/US firms will essentially only hire from B4 + SLB. Silver circle may cast their net wider, and lower ranked intnl firms may go even wider, but to be honest if you're not in B4/SLB, I would just join B4.

Unregistered 24-06-2022 09:24 PM

how does slb fare compared to the other big4?

Unregistered 24-06-2022 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223283)
how does slb fare compared to the other big4?

Its the “Big 6”

Unregistered 24-06-2022 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223284)
Its the “Big 6”

Not stamford meh? I thought it's the biggest after Rodyk (both headcount and repute)

Unregistered 24-06-2022 09:57 PM

Every firm in Singapore is “big 10000”

Unregistered 24-06-2022 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223286)
Not stamford meh? I thought it's the biggest after Rodyk (both headcount and repute)

Maybe before 38 oxlee

Unregistered 25-06-2022 07:37 PM

does anyone know the salary range at eng & co? do they benchmark against b4?

Unregistered 25-06-2022 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223406)
does anyone know the salary range at eng & co? do they benchmark against b4?

No. It's the midsize benchmark.

Unregistered 25-06-2022 10:04 PM

whats the midsized benchmark?

Unregistered 26-06-2022 12:29 AM

what are my TC prospects, NUS second lower? will mid sized firms take me for TC?

Unregistered 26-06-2022 01:14 PM

For disputes, is it better for me to apply for a TC at a b4 firm or somewhere more international like baker/cc?

Unregistered 26-06-2022 01:46 PM

What's the NQ like at bird & bird atmd? Heard their retention rate is notoriously low

Unregistered 26-06-2022 02:44 PM

any gossips from dechert ppl here abt the neil gerrard case?

Unregistered 26-06-2022 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223445)
what are my TC prospects, NUS second lower? will mid sized firms take me for TC?

Big firms will take you now with the supply shortage.

Unregistered 27-06-2022 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223180)
It's not rare at all. Just off the top of my head:

US: Dechert, JD, HL, K&S, Sidley, Shearman, W&C
MC: A&O, CC, LL, Freshfields
SC: Ashurst, HSF, NRF

And many of them do hire SG-qualified associates, though these tend to be people with stellar credentials (ex-JLC, NUS FCH/SMU summa, Oxbridge, international moot champions, etc). There is a much greater emphasis on academics and raw intelligence given the nature of disputes work at that level which calls for intricate legal analysis and argumentation.

What is the best way to get intk these firms if im a NUS 2:1.

Will connections / referrals from my peers (who r in there) help?

Unregistered 27-06-2022 01:40 PM

MOM Prosecution department

I am a newly qualified lawyer, local NUS 2.1

I have applied for the above prosecution officer post.

Does anyone know what the work culture/hours is like in MOM?

Unregistered 27-06-2022 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223566)

I heard pay differs from the normal AGC legal officer role. can anyone confirm? Has this changed after the 2022 OLY changes?

Unregistered 27-06-2022 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223566)

Hearsay quite intense

Unregistered 27-06-2022 06:25 PM

What are the salary benchmarks these days for in house banking/fintech say 10 years pqe?

Unregistered 27-06-2022 10:41 PM

How do SUSS graduates fare in the big 4? What’s the retention like for these grads?

Unregistered 28-06-2022 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223623)
How do SUSS graduates fare in the big 4? What’s the retention like for these grads?

they don't even get in

Unregistered 28-06-2022 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223623)

Why should they be going to big 4? I thought the proposition of suss is for criminal and family lawyers? Don't tell me they lied during their entrance interviews

Unregistered 28-06-2022 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223635)
Why should they be going to big 4? I thought the proposition of suss is for criminal and family lawyers? Don't tell me they lied during their entrance interviews

There are criminal law and fam law practices in the big4. SUSS grads have done very well in A&G, D&N, WP and R&T.

Unregistered 28-06-2022 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223639)
There are criminal law and fam law practices in the big4. SUSS grads have done very well in A&G, D&N, WP and R&T.

Suss third yr here. Which big 4 do i stand the highest chance in getting in if i want to do criminal litigation? Applied for WW team but did not hear from them.

Unregistered 28-06-2022 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223542)
What is the best way to get intk these firms if im a NUS 2:1.

Will connections / referrals from my peers (who r in there) help?

Referrals can get you an interview but won't get you the job if your quality isn't there. NUS 2:1 is possible but usually you need something else, like being a moot winner and/or having worked a few years in a top-tier local team (like Cavinder/Davinder/AY).

Unregistered 28-06-2022 11:41 AM

what are my TC prospects at a mid sized firm if i get a second lower from nus? current rising year 3

Unregistered 28-06-2022 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223653)
Referrals can get you an interview but won't get you the job if your quality isn't there. NUS 2:1 is possible but usually you need something else, like being a moot winner and/or having worked a few years in a top-tier local team (like Cavinder/Davinder/AY).

Who the heck is AY?

Unregistered 28-06-2022 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223659)
Who the heck is AY?

Academic Year.

Unregistered 28-06-2022 01:58 PM

Does anyone have any insight as to the new requirements to getting called? Will they revise the TC pay now that it’s a year long? Read the report and it’s suggests to firms that they should do so but just wondering how much they would be adjusting.

Also, apparently now you’ll be called upon passing Part B instead of upon completion of TC. Any seniors have any insights to this as well? TIA!

surfius 28-06-2022 03:47 PM

A lawyer's salary depends very much on many factors, from his reputation to his competence, but it is better to overpay and hire a good and proven attorney from some firm than to risk your freedom and save money on a regular jurisconsult. The thing is, however, my friend Mike was sued by a co-worker for rape. He told me that they had sex, but it was consensual and she was the one who seduced him. He was in danger of losing his career at work or even going to jail. The situation was complicated, especially in 2017, when sexual harassment lawsuits were very popular, and there was rape. He needed to find a good lawyer, and I advised him to go to middlesexcountycriminallaw law agency because I had heard they had a very high percentage of winning cases. One Middlesex County Criminal Defense Lawyer took on his case. He studied the circumstances, took statements from Mike, and then prepared a defense. In fact, we all thought he couldn't win the case, but the lawyer did a miracle and defeated the prosecution as our Jap soldiers did in World War II. The facts, the evidence, the theories of what was going on, and the strategy were flawless. I can unequivocally state that this agency can rightfully be called the best in the state.

Unregistered 28-06-2022 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223659)
Who the heck is AY?

Alvin Yeo
10char

Unregistered 28-06-2022 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223639)

Anybody with half a brain knows that there are crim and fam practices in B4.

SUSS' value proposition is that it is meant to fill the pressing shortage of community lawyers.

Rmb that this was how SUSS was sold to the legal industry and stakeholders when there were many concerns about starting a 3rd law sch during the height of the glut.

If you're laojiao enough, you'd also rmb that an idea was mooted to restrict SUSS grads to practicing SPECIFICALLY only in those fields (which was ultimately not taken on) - the obvious subtext is that they're not intended to go into the more lucrative areas.

I'm pretty sure 99% of the people who interviewed with SUSS played up their passion for community law, serving the man-in-the-street, the indigent etc. Hardly the kind of clientele suitable for a family or (white collar) crim EP in a Big 4 to continue feeding his team and meeting his targets.

The corollary of the above is those SUSS grads aiming to go into Big 4 have turned their backs on those values specifically for which they were admitted to SUSS.

Unregistered 28-06-2022 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223697)
Anybody with half a brain knows that there are crim and fam practices in B4.

SUSS' value proposition is that it is meant to fill the pressing shortage of community lawyers.

Rmb that this was how SUSS was sold to the legal industry and stakeholders when there were many concerns about starting a 3rd law sch during the height of the glut.

If you're laojiao enough, you'd also rmb that an idea was mooted to restrict SUSS grads to practicing SPECIFICALLY only in those fields (which was ultimately not taken on) - the obvious subtext is that they're not intended to go into the more lucrative areas.

I'm pretty sure 99% of the people who interviewed with SUSS played up their passion for community law, serving the man-in-the-street, the indigent etc. Hardly the kind of clientele suitable for a family or (white collar) crim EP in a Big 4 to continue feeding his team and meeting his targets.

The corollary of the above is those SUSS grads aiming to go into Big 4 have turned their backs on those values specifically for which they were admitted to SUSS.

If demand exceeds supply, there'll always be firms and partners that don't care what values you turned your back on. Employment is just treating human capital as a commodity. At the junior level especially, your skill set and value is not so disparate. Junior lawyers are very much just commodity, your price is dictated by the market more than your individual strengths/weaknesses.

Unregistered 28-06-2022 09:43 PM

Which are the corp firms/teams to avoid

Any thoughts? Junior looking to lateral

Unregistered 29-06-2022 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223634)
they don't even get in

Please don’t belittle us. I have heard seniors making it into intl firms ( whithers, k&L gates, pinsent masons).

Unregistered 29-06-2022 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223764)
Please don’t belittle us. I have heard seniors making it into intl firms ( whithers, k&L gates, pinsent masons).

Dont need to bother abt insecure nus grads

Unregistered 29-06-2022 10:10 AM

What are small firms paying their assocs these days? Is there any pay bump following the recent pay increases by B4?