Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 21-03-2022 11:23 AM

Anyone knows what's the NQ pay for the B4 firms?

Unregistered 21-03-2022 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209499)
Anyone knows what's the NQ pay for the B4 firms?

6.4 - 6.8k

Unregistered 21-03-2022 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209500)
6.4 - 6.8k

Where got so low...I know R&T is 7.5k

Unregistered 21-03-2022 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209492)
Recruiters can also be pretty uninformed about the payscales. I was encouraged to apply to two US firm roles (both in the list above) by a guy from MRA search on the basis that the payscale was at least equal to MC - this turned out to be complete BS once I got the offers. Waste of my time

Lol. How BS are you talking about? Also, Reed Smith and Jones Day?

It’s already anonymous, can yall just stop acting mysterious? Name and shame all bad recruiters and firms.

Unregistered 21-03-2022 01:17 PM

Actually you can get a sense of how much US firms pay here by looking at what they pay their associates in the UK. While the exact numbers for Singapore might differ, the relative positioning of each firm within the market should be similar.

For example, given that Reed Smith is paying their London NQs £75,000 annually (around S$10.4k a month), there's no way in hell they are paying their equivalent Singapore associates SGD 16-17k a month. That might be more plausible for a firm like Dechert, which is paying £140,000 to their London NQs.

You can find a list of the London payscales here: s://.rollonfriday.com/inside-info

Unregistered 21-03-2022 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209515)
Actually you can get a sense of how much US firms pay here by looking at what they pay their associates in the UK. While the exact numbers for Singapore might differ, the relative positioning of each firm within the market should be similar.

For example, given that Reed Smith is paying their London NQs £75,000 annually (around S$10.4k a month), there's no way in hell they are paying their equivalent Singapore associates SGD 16-17k a month. That might be more plausible for a firm like Dechert, which is paying £140,000 to their London NQs.

You can find a list of the London payscales here: s://.rollonfriday.com/inside-info

Nope, this doesn't work.

Unregistered 21-03-2022 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209502)
Where got so low...I know R&T is 7.5k

Anyone to verify? There have been contradicting claims in this forum.

Unregistered 21-03-2022 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209595)
Anyone to verify? There have been contradicting claims in this forum.

This is right. RT is 7.5k for 1pqe and 8.4k for 2pqe

Unregistered 21-03-2022 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209619)
This is right. RT is 7.5k for 1pqe and 8.4k for 2pqe

This seems ok. Why are ppl whining and quitting. Uncle last time 5k+ for NQ only and also worked same hours like you all in B4. Just slog it out for a few years and go tech inhouse. Shiok.

Unregistered 22-03-2022 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209515)

agreed that this does not work

Unregistered 22-03-2022 03:43 PM

I see Fervent Chambers still hiring. $6.5k for first yearer not enough?

Unregistered 22-03-2022 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209673)
agreed that this does not work

Why not? Which firms does it not work for?

Unregistered 22-03-2022 04:42 PM

Failing probation

I jumped from my previous firm after spending around a year, currently serving probation. But I highly worry I may fail as it will end soon.

Firm B is very toxic and I don’t get along with one of the partners. Pool system, Med sized. It’s getting quite unbearable. Scoldings are weekly. Sometimes daily.

Unregistered 22-03-2022 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209740)
I jumped from my previous firm after spending around a year, currently serving probation. But I highly worry I may fail as it will end soon.

Firm B is very toxic and I don’t get along with one of the partners. Pool system, Med sized. It’s getting quite unbearable. Scoldings are weekly. Sometimes daily.

Which firm is this ? Anon forum name and shame pls

Unregistered 22-03-2022 09:25 PM

Burnt

Not a Chinatown, but in the City Hall area.

I’m approaching my last few weeks before 3 mth Probation Ends. I’m thinking of leaving as the toxicity is getting worse. Partners are mental. They degrade your work. They make unreasonable demands. Personal attacks are getting more. I’ve regretted the move.

Realized practice may not be my thing after all. I used to like practice but I’ve been totally put off by the new firm.

Shall I leave once 3 months is up. Worried about prospective employers.

Unregistered 22-03-2022 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209785)
Not a Chinatown, but in the City Hall area.

I’m approaching my last few weeks before 3 mth Probation Ends. I’m thinking of leaving as the toxicity is getting worse. Partners are mental. They degrade your work. They make unreasonable demands. Personal attacks are getting more. I’ve regretted the move.

Realized practice may not be my thing after all. I used to like practice but I’ve been totally put off by the new firm.

Shall I leave once 3 months is up. Worried about prospective employers.

If you are NQ, just apply elsewhere. Market is hot. Funnily enough in this industry, the bigger the firm usually the less toxicity there is (as a general rule, but there are exceptions). Can try to apply to mid or B4.

Unregistered 22-03-2022 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209822)
If you are NQ, just apply elsewhere. Market is hot. Funnily enough in this industry, the bigger the firm usually the less toxicity there is (as a general rule, but there are exceptions). Can try to apply to mid or B4.

Big firms have very toxic depts

Unregistered 23-03-2022 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209823)
Big firms have very toxic depts

true that some can even rise to become sc

Unregistered 23-03-2022 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209826)
true that some can even rise to become sc

Big oof

10char

Unregistered 23-03-2022 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209730)
I see Fervent Chambers still hiring. $6.5k for first yearer not enough?

It's never purely about the money. The thing about joining small firms it that it essentially means tying your career development to the principal lawyer of that practice.

The questions to ask are always: has the principal lawyer built a stellar/good reputation in his area of practice? Is he known to be a good boss? Does he pay well (only 1 of various factors)? When it's time to leave for my next role, will having known to have worked for him, prove to be a boon or a bane to my CV?

These are all principles of general applicability when choosing to join small firms where the branding of the practice isn't institutional, but is intrinsically linked to the principals there. I'm in no way making any comment about Fervent Chambers in particular. Just my general thoughts.

Unregistered 23-03-2022 02:13 PM

worried

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209822)

1+

Would finding a recruiter help? I'm getting quite burnt out, and sick of the partner making nonsensical allegations. Scared i'm gonna land up jobless in a bit.

Particular Partner has been targeting me in every recent email over minute things and cc-ing the whole firm

Unregistered 23-03-2022 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209897)
1+

Would finding a recruiter help? I'm getting quite burnt out, and sick of the partner making nonsensical allegations. Scared i'm gonna land up jobless in a bit.

Particular Partner has been targeting me in every recent email over minute things and cc-ing the whole firm

There are recruiters who cover local lateral moves, but honestly I dont think there's a need. Just cold email or check firm websites and go from there.

Unregistered 23-03-2022 03:57 PM

Anyone else failed part b?

Unregistered 23-03-2022 03:59 PM

Anyone seen this article? My firm has partners that tick all the boxes. haizzz
s://goodyfeed.com/5-types-of-singaporean-bosses-that-we-all-hate/

Unregistered 23-03-2022 04:46 PM

does cold dropping an email to the firm help?

Unregistered 23-03-2022 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209918)

Hahah. you day 1 in law? Why do you think people say this industry is toxic af

Unregistered 23-03-2022 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209930)
does cold dropping an email to the firm help?

Beats waiting for things to happen.

Unregistered 23-03-2022 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209918)

Building on this news, pls see this news too. Your firm's partners only tick 5 boxes, mine tick all 10. 10 points to Ravenclaw. (The first 2 letters coincide with my firm's name)

s://goodyfeed.com/10-types-of-boss-that-cause-high-employee-turnover-rate-in-a-spore-company/

Unregistered 24-03-2022 07:39 AM

Law student here seeing all these posts about how work environment can be so toxic

may I ask

is the the norm?
what recourse do I have if I am bullied
can i complain to the law society for help

Unregistered 24-03-2022 09:41 AM

Recruiter

potentially quitting practice due my toxic firm.

Anyone to recommend

Unregistered 24-03-2022 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210055)

Anyone to recommend

Grab still hiring. Or be unconventional and make use of CECA and go to India and steal their jobs

Unregistered 24-03-2022 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209883)
It's never purely about the money. The thing about joining small firms it that it essentially means tying your career development to the principal lawyer of that practice.

The questions to ask are always: has the principal lawyer built a stellar/good reputation in his area of practice? Is he known to be a good boss? Does he pay well (only 1 of various factors)? When it's time to leave for my next role, will having known to have worked for him, prove to be a boon or a bane to my CV?

These are all principles of general applicability when choosing to join small firms where the branding of the practice isn't institutional, but is intrinsically linked to the principals there. I'm in no way making any comment about Fervent Chambers in particular. Just my general thoughts.

+1 managed to jump from a small firm to a Big 4 because the principal was well known and well respected in his area of practice

Unregistered 24-03-2022 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210066)
Grab still hiring. Or be unconventional and make use of CECA and go to India and steal their jobs

Serious question does India law firm care whether I'm from a delisted school

Unregistered 24-03-2022 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210055)

Anyone to recommend

They are not being toxic if you type like this and they say you can’t string words into sentences.

Unregistered 24-03-2022 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209897)
1+

What nonsensical allegations is the partner making

Unregistered 24-03-2022 06:57 PM

The Law Society of Singapore v Clarence Lun Yaodong [2022] SGDT 9

For all those asking about Fervent Chambers. Nuff said.

Unregistered 24-03-2022 07:34 PM

Jaded

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210153)
What nonsensical allegations is the partner making

Policing whether I attended CPD when asked by the firm to do so and ccing all the Assocs

Sent firm wide email about my billables

Saying I did no work, never buck up, when I was preoccupied with other partners work, when I did 2 all nighters in a row for a contested Liti matter- we are in a pool here, this partner X has less compared to the others

Accusing me of throwing work to juniors which is absolutely false when I also play my part

Unregistered 24-03-2022 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210156)
The Law Society of Singapore v Clarence Lun Yaodong [2022] SGDT 9

For all those asking about Fervent Chambers. Nuff said.

But they still fervently advertising I notice?

Unregistered 24-03-2022 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210174)
Policing whether I attended CPD when asked by the firm to do so and ccing all the Assocs

Sent firm wide email about my billables

Saying I did no work, never buck up, when I was preoccupied with other partners work, when I did 2 all nighters in a row for a contested Liti matter- we are in a pool here, this partner X has less compared to the others

Accusing me of throwing work to juniors which is absolutely false when I also play my part

What kind of toxic unprof firm is this. Quit quit quit. And whistleblow if possible to MOM or LawSoc.

Anyway you probably wouldn't have any problem landing another job in the market now.

Unregistered 25-03-2022 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210184)
What kind of toxic unprof firm is this. Quit quit quit. And whistleblow if possible to MOM or LawSoc.

Anyway you probably wouldn't have any problem landing another job in the market now.

Errr what can MOM or LawSoc do about this? They will just carry out formalities to mediate, nego bla bla.... the partner will just act obedient and meek in front of these big powers then after they leave, the partner will probably try to make you resign (either by giving you tonnes of work or put you on PIP).

If MOM & LawSoc are that efficient in their work, the law fraternity will not be in such a deplorable state now. Agree?