Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 15-07-2021 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177854)
Anyone saw the singaporelawmeme data? Seems like those called in 2019 but in mid sized or non big 4 are alr catching up or surpassing big 4 in overall comp (bonus included)

Sample size so small how to be reliable. Anw 2019 call means 2 PQE? Still very low and underpaid IMO.

Need to cross-check against GES for 2020 data by averaging all the categories of firms.

Unregistered 15-07-2021 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177869)
Not true. Those 0-2pqe in some international firm work till 8pm at most everyday.

Is 8pm supposed to be good or bad?

Unregistered 15-07-2021 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177876)

Quite abusive I must say

Unregistered 15-07-2021 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177882)
Quite abusive I must say

Yes i work very hard till 8pm. Its a tough life but its honest work. Some days i get to go home at 6pm but those are rare. I have not stayed past 11pm though

Unregistered 15-07-2021 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177882)
Quite abusive I must say

Really princess
8pm means excellent.
During my time a long long time ago, in the 2 years I worked in a sweatshop, I slept less than 1,000 hours in the 2 years

Unregistered 15-07-2021 08:54 PM

going home by 8pm? never stayed past 11pm?

i thought this was a lawyer thread, not about grab drivers

Unregistered 15-07-2021 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177876)

8pm is tough life. If you have to stay past 6pm, quit.

Unregistered 15-07-2021 09:17 PM

Which firms can leave at 6 daily?

Unregistered 15-07-2021 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177894)
Which firms can leave at 6 daily?

Your own solo practice can leave at 6pm daily.

Unregistered 15-07-2021 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177887)
going home by 8pm? never stayed past 11pm?

i thought this was a lawyer thread, not about grab drivers

U r in the wrong practice mate.

Unregistered 16-07-2021 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177829)
Who are the leaders there now?

Head in firm is andrew martin

Unregistered 16-07-2021 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177913)
Head in firm is andrew martin

People asking about Indian George Clooney bro

Unregistered 16-07-2021 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177886)
Really princess
8pm means excellent.
During my time a long long time ago, in the 2 years I worked in a sweatshop, I slept less than 1,000 hours in the 2 years

Bro u sleep also doing timesheets ah

Unregistered 16-07-2021 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177914)
People asking about Indian George Clooney bro

Kumar Ponniya. Superb lawyer. Work damn hard. Heard can be SC v soon.

Care about the team and provides close guidance one to one in trenches.

Any newbie must apply to work for him. U learn alot.

Cant say the same abt the other partners

Unregistered 16-07-2021 09:32 AM

Dear colleagues, it is very Xenophobic to keep repeating the news about Vietnam and Vietnamese spreading virus in KTVs.

The virus high chance is originated from other countries such as the India Delta Variant of the Wuhan China Covid Virus.

So to be fair and to remove the stigma and negativity to the innocent Vietnamese people, especially those working, studying, living in SG, all news outlets should and must replace the word Vietnam or Vietnamese with: South East Asia and South East Asians.

If we can Do it for India with 'South Asia', i do not see why we cannot do it for South East Asia.

Fellow lawyers please sign the petition and do your part today to use South East Asia in place of Vietnam!

s://.change.org/p/sea-vietnam-covid-sg

Unregistered 16-07-2021 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177924)
Dear colleagues, it is very Xenophobic to keep repeating the news about Vietnam and Vietnamese spreading virus in KTVs.

The virus high chance is originated from other countries such as the India Delta Variant of the Wuhan China Covid Virus.

So to be fair and to remove the stigma and negativity to the innocent Vietnamese people, especially those working, studying, living in SG, all news outlets should and must replace the word Vietnam or Vietnamese with: South East Asia and South East Asians.

If we can Do it for India with 'South Asia', i do not see why we cannot do it for South East Asia.

Fellow lawyers please sign the petition and do your part today to use South East Asia in place of Vietnam!

s://.change.org/p/sea-vietnam-covid-sg

Love this ASEAN taskforce initiative!

Unregistered 16-07-2021 11:30 AM

Confirm got a few chinatown lawyers tio. So many lup sup senior lawyers visit KTV and all these, especially those who got their degree from UOL distance learning last time

Unregistered 16-07-2021 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177918)
Kumar Ponniya. Superb lawyer. Work damn hard. Heard can be SC v soon.

Care about the team and provides close guidance one to one in trenches.

Any newbie must apply to work for him. U learn alot.

Cant say the same abt the other partners

Who are the others to avoid? Heard got one CECA arbitrarion partner also.

Unregistered 16-07-2021 12:29 PM

When did the UOL distance learning degree stop being recognised for admission?

Unregistered 16-07-2021 01:47 PM

under the singaporelawmeme salary data, does ‘foreign firm’ also include the FLAs?

Unregistered 16-07-2021 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177935)

Don't know. But all the crap 2nd and 3rd tier UK law schools like Bristol Birmingham Notts QMUL Durham Warwick are the new UOL.

Unregistered 16-07-2021 10:43 PM

Know any big 4 lawyers who visited vietbus KTVs and got covid? Especially those who like to drink one.

Unregistered 16-07-2021 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177932)
Who are the others to avoid? Heard got one CECA arbitrarion partner also.

Jobs for CECA, NS for sinkies!

Unregistered 16-07-2021 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177946)
Don't know. But all the crap 2nd and 3rd tier UK law schools like Bristol Birmingham Notts QMUL Durham Warwick are the new UOL.

Hey man... quit looking down on us lowly folk.

Unregistered 17-07-2021 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177935)

Not sure, but back in the day there were many more routes to getting called to the bar. I recall that one senior practitioner I met didn't even go to university - I think he had some work experience, and took night classes.

Unregistered 17-07-2021 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177946)

Totally agreed and I’d take the crap tier 2,3 delisted schools any day. Have fun struggling to compete for a TC in a saturated legal market in an overcrowded country with massive brain gain incoming while I take my first class degree from a delisted university to a MC/SCs in Manchester/London/anywhere else in the world.

Unregistered 18-07-2021 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177980)
Totally agreed and I’d take the crap tier 2,3 delisted schools any day. Have fun struggling to compete for a TC in a saturated legal market in an overcrowded country with massive brain gain incoming while I take my first class degree from a delisted university to a MC/SCs in Manchester/London/anywhere else in the world.

I sp*t at you

Unregistered 18-07-2021 01:31 PM

The number of UK law grads posting cringy self-congratulatory posts about their amazing 2.1s and Firsts with some instagram-type "artistic" mugshot is seriously astounding. They exemplify the type of lawyers in practice that whine and brag in the office or to their peers about how much work they have to do and how many hours they work, but don't actually do a lot in reality.

Meanwhile the nus and smu law students are just silently getting their deans lists, second upper or first class and not bragging about it on social media. These are the kinds of lawyers that are just getting sh it done and being actually useful team members, not making a big show about it.

Unregistered 18-07-2021 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178005)
The number of UK law grads posting cringy self-congratulatory posts about their amazing 2.1s and Firsts with some instagram-type "artistic" mugshot is seriously astounding. They exemplify the type of lawyers in practice that whine and brag in the office or to their peers about how much work they have to do and how many hours they work, but don't actually do a lot in reality.

Meanwhile the nus and smu law students are just silently getting their deans lists, second upper or first class and not bragging about it on social media. These are the kinds of lawyers that are just getting sh it done and being actually useful team members, not making a big show about it.

Aiya all this cock talking is getting tiring. Is your hand tired from all thay circle jerking? I’ve seen NUS/SMU grads be absolute cunts and flaunting their ****, just not on social media. Same ****.

Now y’all just shut the **** up and get back to the main topic, which is lawyers’ salary and general discussion on the legal profession.

Unregistered 19-07-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177947)
Know any big 4 lawyers who visited vietbus KTVs and got covid? Especially those who like to drink one.

there are none

B4 lawyers get laid easily on dating apps

Unregistered 20-07-2021 08:38 AM

NQ pay had stagnated for the last ten years. We are living in a SUPER high pressure cooker now. THIS why so many JUMPERS, siaolang and idiots EVERYWHERE. And now kids also start young & become Siao Lang. THIS society is super toxic for growth, be it mental or monetary.

Unregistered 20-07-2021 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178094)
NQ pay had stagnated for the last ten years. We are living in a SUPER high pressure cooker now. THIS why so many JUMPERS, siaolang and idiots EVERYWHERE. And now kids also start young & become Siao Lang. THIS society is super toxic for growth, be it mental or monetary.

All because of uk grads

Unregistered 20-07-2021 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178097)
All because of uk grads

Its not lah. Speaking as a practising lawyer of >5pqe, as much as I've seen much more cmi foreign than local grads in the course of my short career, the low pay here is simply a function of the Singapore economy.

Law is a quaternary industry. We (lawyers) service the service providers (e.g. banks/FIs). Ultimately, the legal industry will only be as profitable as the underlying client base.

Singapore is nowhere near as big a financial hub as we think we are, compared to the alpha world cities. We are by no means a major equities capital market. Our private wealth sector is just starting to take off, and this isn't a big money spinner for law in absolute terms. We're only constantly led to believe we're a major financial hub because the southeast asian competition (KL, Jakarta, Manila, BKK) is so cui, relatively speaking.

The low pay in the industry is simply cos SG law firms are simply not profitable. And they're not profitable because the economy can't support it.

If you need an analogous reference, go find out how much an average Malaysian lawyer is paid. Then compare the size of the M'sian financial sector to that of Singapore's.

Unregistered 20-07-2021 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178097)
All because of uk grads

you hide in office toilet and wait for the uk grad?

Unregistered 20-07-2021 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178099)
Its not lah. Speaking as a practising lawyer of >5pqe, as much as I've seen much more cmi foreign than local grads in the course of my short career, the low pay here is simply a function of the Singapore economy.

Law is a quaternary industry. We (lawyers) service the service providers (e.g. banks/FIs). Ultimately, the legal industry will only be as profitable as the underlying client base.

Singapore is nowhere near as big a financial hub as we think we are, compared to the alpha world cities. We are by no means a major equities capital market. Our private wealth sector is just starting to take off, and this isn't a big money spinner for law in absolute terms. We're only constantly led to believe we're a major financial hub because the southeast asian competition (KL, Jakarta, Manila, BKK) is so cui, relatively speaking.

The low pay in the industry is simply cos SG law firms are simply not profitable. And they're not profitable because the economy can't support it.

If you need an analogous reference, go find out how much an average Malaysian lawyer is paid. Then compare the size of the M'sian financial sector to that of Singapore's.

It's also a function of how the local firms are so heavily tilted towards lining the pockets of the senior ranks, especially the EPs. Many of them earn more than their equivalents in international firms, and they can well afford to increase junior associates' pay, but they simply choose not to.

Unregistered 20-07-2021 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178105)
It's also a function of how the local firms are so heavily tilted towards lining the pockets of the senior ranks, especially the EPs. Many of them earn more than their equivalents in international firms, and they can well afford to increase junior associates' pay, but they simply choose not to.

I guess this may be true.

If our local firms' pay were more evenly distributed as in the Anglo firms, then average profit per equity partner (PEP) for one of our local Big4 firms is likely to be equivalent to a Midlands or Northern UK firm, e.g. those headquartered outside London in cities like Birmingham, Leeds or Manchester. Firms like Shoosmiths, Mills & Reeve, Burges Salmon, Hill Dickinson.

Unregistered 20-07-2021 10:13 PM

Cipp

Anybody did a CIPP? Any resources/tips on how to study prepare for it? Is it worth it to get? TIA

Unregistered 20-07-2021 10:21 PM

Quote:

Absolutely agreed. We're a big fish in a small pond, and the players here are just not ready to pay the fees which international firms (even lesser, non-white shoe or non-magic circle firms) command.

Unregistered 21-07-2021 01:02 PM

Quote:

Lets face it, even the international firms know Singapore is in a decline due to a decade of mismanagement, hence they know to pay accordingly in Singapore (ergo, not much).

Much better prospects to set up shop in HK, Shanghai, Sydney.

Unregistered 21-07-2021 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 178155)
Lets face it, even the international firms know Singapore is in a decline due to a decade of mismanagement, hence they know to pay accordingly in Singapore (ergo, not much).

Much better prospects to set up shop in HK, Shanghai, Sydney.

Mismanagement in what sense? Care to elaborate?