Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 19-06-2018 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 108072)
I agree fully. What makes you think you won’t have setbacks?
What makes you think you go into a firm, boss must like you
What makes you think you won’t have a breakup

Of course I think about setbacks (eg no one will hire me, hence the questions) but like the poster said, don’t need to eat today since tomorrow will be hungry? Don’t set financial goals because tomorrow can lose job? Don’t save for or wedding or house or baby because any time can break up?

P.s. don’t think a breakup will disrupt my progression plans

Unregistered 19-06-2018 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 108069)
You people discuss your progression like some battle plan

Never thought about how simple things like illness or economy downturn can actually derail everything?

my point is that life is not that smooth sailing n for every successful case there are 9’who left.

why do you think there’s a hallowing now

This must be one of the most sensible things posted about life.

I believe most of the posters here are fresh graduates or 1-2 PQE who hasn’t seen much about life and human relationships complications.

It is more important to take things as it comes and go with the flow.

I agree that not many things in life will go as planned when you become older unlike school edu system from primary to Uni.

This is why law is a graduate degree in some countries because you need to have a sense of reality about life before rendering advice.

Unregistered 19-06-2018 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 108080)
Of course I think about setbacks (eg no one will hire me, hence the questions) but like the poster said, don’t need to eat today since tomorrow will be hungry? Don’t set financial goals because tomorrow can lose job? Don’t save for or wedding or house or baby because any time can break up?

You sure breakup won’t disrupt your life?
Are you already attached? Different people handle it differently.
And anyway, I agree you should/can set goals.
But adulthood is very different.
Things always don’t go to plan.
I only have one advice for you.
Assume you’re not rich, then save every cent you earn.
Ultimately when everything don’t go as planned,
The money you have will form a safety net

Unregistered 19-06-2018 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 108079)
#3041 here, i’m from a delisted school

Not to say if you’re from a delisted Uni, you can’t go big four or magic circle or American law firms.

I’ve seen people from delisted uni in those firms.

Granted some might have connections, but overall?

Don’t think so. So just prove. Go for it. Try to write to the partners directly in these firms.
Tell them you can work 20-22 hours a day and you’re not attached.
Chances are you’ll be hired.

These firms like people to put in Long hours

Unregistered 19-06-2018 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 108080)

Are / were you even in a serious committed relationship?

not to say career, I have even seen people marriage broken down and got into debts.

Unregistered 19-06-2018 10:37 AM

Wow, I genuinely have never heard any stories like that. I’m in a stable relationship, so that’s scary to know. Hope my relationship will not implode, and even if it does that my life will not implode after.

Did not understand why a break up would affect progression because my friends who broke up seem to have (on the surface) the usual amount of difficulty moving on (I.e. not debilitating), the only stories I’ve heard of people going into debt is from paying for a BTO and then breaking up. Of course I also believe in my inner strength to pick up the pieces. Hope I won’t be humbled by life! Do not have friends who’ve divorced, can only imagine it’s more emotionally and financially draining. I am indeed be a bright eyed fresh grad!!!

Will take the advice of saving up, and injecting a heavy dose of reality to my future planning. Thanks all!

Unregistered 19-06-2018 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 108086)
Not to say if you’re from a delisted Uni, you can’t go big four or magic circle or American law firms.

I’ve seen people from delisted uni in those firms.

Granted some might have connections, but overall?

Don’t think so. So just prove. Go for it. Try to write to the partners directly in these firms.
Tell them you can work 20-22 hours a day and you’re not attached.
Chances are you’ll be hired.

These firms like people to put in Long hours

Thanks so much for this, Glad to know it’s not always going to be out of reach :-)

Unregistered 19-06-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 108089)
Wow, I genuinely have never heard any stories like that. I’m in a stable relationship, so that’s scary to know. Hope my relationship will not implode, and even if it does that my life will not implode after.

Did not understand why a break up would affect progression because my friends who broke up seem to have (on the surface) the usual amount of difficulty moving on (I.e. not debilitating), the only stories I’ve heard of people going into debt is from paying for a BTO and then breaking up. Of course I also believe in my inner strength to pick up the pieces. Hope I won’t be humbled by life! Do not have friends who’ve divorced, can only imagine it’s more emotionally and financially draining. I am indeed be a bright eyed fresh grad!!!

Will take the advice of saving up, and injecting a heavy dose of reality to my future planning. Thanks all!

Yeah it’s always when you least expect that people break up.
It’s debilitating if you are in a committed serious relationship.
The hardest stage for your relationship would be transitioning from a relationship when you are a student and a relationship when you’re working adults.

The world out there is damn ugly. People change heart. They find someone else at the workplace etc.

So yeah don’t plan so much. It’s pointless. U can plan a fiancée and all. But you won’t know when it breaks up.
And u reset to zero

Unregistered 19-06-2018 12:55 PM

And don’t give an expensive diamond ring to your gf if you can’t even make ends meet.

Cos presumption of advancement means that gift is a gift absolutely to your wife and won’t be part of the matrimonial pool

Frankly people change heart. I used to think my gf won’t.
Yeah things change when started working

It’s the workplace. People find others

Unregistered 19-06-2018 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 108093)
And don’t give an expensive diamond ring to your gf if you can’t even make ends meet.

Cos presumption of advancement means that gift is a gift absolutely to your wife and won’t be part of the matrimonial pool

Frankly people change heart. I used to think my gf won’t.
Yeah things change when started working

It’s the workplace. People find others

Was it an upgrade for her, for eg, you a mid-size firm and new bf big four? Were there any warning signs?