Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 03-06-2022 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220235)
JLC or CC?

Fervent Chambers number 1. $7.5k for first yearer.

Unregistered 04-06-2022 08:10 AM

Quote:

JLC or CC?

If I have aspirations to be a litigator and aspire to eventually be SC, should I go JLC or Big 4 Liti? Also, is this a realistic aspiration?

Unregistered 04-06-2022 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220268)
If I have aspirations to be a litigator and aspire to eventually be SC, should I go JLC or Big 4 Liti? Also, is this a realistic aspiration?

JLC duh. If you want to do litigation, it a no-brainer to do a JLC stint first given the cachet it gives you and the exposure you get to HC/CA judges and how they think.

Unregistered 04-06-2022 10:19 AM

Quote:

JLC or CC?

One of the JLCs from nus last year was valedictorian of his batch, gave up his TC with CC for JLC lol.

Unregistered 04-06-2022 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220277)
JLC duh. If you want to do litigation, it a no-brainer to do a JLC stint first given the cachet it gives you and the exposure you get to HC/CA judges and how they think.

Hahaha yeah

That's like asking whether one should choose between an offer in a top US litigation firm like Orrick or Gibson Dunn, or a SCOTUS clerkship

Unregistered 04-06-2022 01:38 PM

What does counsel/of counsel mean in the hierarchy

Why do some slightly more senior lawyers get this title? They partner or not?

Unregistered 04-06-2022 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220238)
Which B4 would give more exposure/better training say in Drew or A&G? And are we able to select the team when applying for TC?

I am interested to know this too since the team matters a great deal, is there some way we can indicate interest in our application?

Unregistered 04-06-2022 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220054)
EthosBC salary guide 2022 says the salary ranges for Big 4 is:

First Yearer: $7.5K - $7.9K
2nd Yearer: $8.5K - $9.2K
3rd Yearer: $9K - $10.5K
4th Yearer: $10.5K - $11.8K
5th Yearer +: $12K & above

Seems correct leh. Or you saying EthosBC also BS-ing?

They have no reason to BS also. Most local firm placements/laterals for juniors also done thru direct hires, not through recruitment firms (cos Big 4 are too cheap to use recruiters and there's no lack of lateral applicants).

sounds accurate for big4. Do you have EBC’s salary guide for international firms? Would really want to know

Unregistered 04-06-2022 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220316)
Why do some slightly more senior lawyers get this title? They partner or not?

Context matters.

Traditionally, "Of Counsel" was/is used for a relatively experienced lawyer (ie more senior than a senior assoc) who's not on the partnership track or has no expectations to be made an equity partner. These guys are pretty doing their own thing, and it's much easier for them to pack up their practice and move elsewhere. Similar to "Consultant" but Consultant title is usually for super-senior & respected practitioners (very experienced semi-retiring lawyers, former Judges or legal service, etc).

Nowadays the title is used & abused for all sorts of purposes.

Some firms like A&G now use "Counsel" as a rank before junior (salaried) partner. In order to stretch out the rungs.

Some other firms like Providence, simply call all their assoc-level lawyers, "Counsel" which sounds like title inflation to me.

Unregistered 04-06-2022 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220346)
Context matters.

Traditionally, "Of Counsel" was/is used for a relatively experienced lawyer (ie more senior than a senior assoc) who's not on the partnership track or has no expectations to be made an equity partner. These guys are pretty doing their own thing, and it's much easier for them to pack up their practice and move elsewhere. Similar to "Consultant" but Consultant title is usually for super-senior & respected practitioners (very experienced semi-retiring lawyers, former Judges or legal service, etc).

Nowadays the title is used & abused for all sorts of purposes.

Some firms like A&G now use "Counsel" as a rank before junior (salaried) partner. In order to stretch out the rungs.

Some other firms like Providence, simply call all their assoc-level lawyers, "Counsel" which sounds like title inflation to me.

How do u guys choose Recruiters these days? Based on word of mouth, years of experience, or just see who is pretty??