Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 10-02-2022 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 202391)
The best part of this post is that BA, BSc doesn't limit your career options - LOL. Try job hunting having a generic bachelors, seriously. It is NO better than your LLB and most likely worse

Hi just my 2 cents about the OP. Professional degrees do limit Ur career as it is a professional degree just like BDS, MBBS, MD, JD etc.

It is expected of you to stay in Ur practice as these professional certifications warrant more investment in terms of money and time. you don't TYPICALLY see a LLB, JD, MBBS, MD, BDS doing full time operations, data science, sales jobs. Very common to see BA and BSc doing a job different from their degrees. But the reverse isn't common for LLB

Unregistered 10-02-2022 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 202406)
Hi just my 2 cents about the OP. Professional degrees do limit Ur career as it is a professional degree just like BDS, MBBS, MD, JD etc.

It is expected of you to stay in Ur practice as these professional certifications warrant more investment in terms of money and time. you don't TYPICALLY see a LLB, JD, MBBS, MD, BDS doing full time operations, data science, sales jobs. Very common to see BA and BSc doing a job different from their degrees. But the reverse isn't common for LLB

LLB is a generalist degree. Dunno what you guys smoking.

You don't see many LLBs doing other things because it is a necessary qualifying degree for law in Singapore, so obviously the majority of LLB will tend to do law.

There is absolutely nothing stopping an LLB grad from applying to generic Management Associate or other grad programmes apart from social pressure or lack of imagination or courage.

BDS and MBBS are slightly different because the curriculum is structured with an extensive clinical educational component, so it is a true professional degree.

JD (at least in Singapore) is in reality merely a truncated LLB marketed as a professional degree. SMU and NUS' JD adopt the trappings of the North American-style JD, which is a true professional degree (regarded as on par with an MBA).

Unregistered 10-02-2022 10:33 PM

Pqe

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 202414)
LLB is a generalist degree. Dunno what you guys smoking.

You don't see many LLBs doing other things because it is a necessary qualifying degree for law in Singapore, so obviously the majority of LLB will tend to do law.

There is absolutely nothing stopping an LLB grad from applying to generic Management Associate or other grad programmes apart from social pressure or lack of imagination or courage.

BDS and MBBS are slightly different because the curriculum is structured with an extensive clinical educational component, so it is a true professional degree.

JD (at least in Singapore) is in reality merely a truncated LLB marketed as a professional degree. SMU and NUS' JD adopt the trappings of the North American-style JD, which is a true professional degree (regarded as on par with an MBA).

Haha but but..... SMU/NUS JD, though on par with MBA, still NQ when they grad and get NQ pay. So not sure how is that on par with MBA?

JD = LLB + icing + fruit + chocolate. But pay and PQE still same as fresh LLB grad

Unregistered 11-02-2022 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 202419)
Haha but but..... SMU/NUS JD, though on par with MBA, still NQ when they grad and get NQ pay. So not sure how is that on par with MBA?

JD = LLB + icing + fruit + chocolate. But pay and PQE still same as fresh LLB grad

I'm the poster above. Yes - its consistent with what I said.

NUS' and SMU's JD are in truth an LLB, but marketed as a "JD" to take advantage of the prestige that North American JDs (and MBAs) have as a professional degree. Don't forget that the NUS one was originally called 'GLB' (Graduate LLB) until very recently. They changed moniker so as not to sound 'inferior' to SMU's programme.

American JDs are professional degrees cos you must have an undergrad, you incur lots of actual and opportunity costs to switch career, to a potentially higher paying career (Cravath or biglaw scale if you're good/lucky).

SG JDs are not really worth it because there's very little upside to switching career.when the local starting industry payscales are just slightly above median fresh grad payscales. Starting off as a JD grad with $5-6k? Mehh

I think most mid-career ppl contemplating the JD should think twice esp. if you have family and mortgage commitments.

Unregistered 12-02-2022 12:20 AM

What’s the difference btwn going in house at 1pqe vs 3 pqe vs 5 pqe?

Unregistered 12-02-2022 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 202601)
What’s the difference btwn going in house at 1pqe vs 3 pqe vs 5 pqe?

1PQE - jobs hard to find. If you want to leave so early means you really die die dunwan stay in law, and essentially don't know much, people still need to train you. Nobody really wants 1PQE.

3PQE - just about enough experience for people to start considering you, but if you want abit longer, your pay after SA range is alot higher, so jumping out now might be financially less worth it.

5PQE - Pay is high enough that you can go into in-house, PQE also very high for in-house. But at this stage, slog 1-2 more years can make partner liao, why not just slog it out.

Essentially, all levels going to have their own push/pull factors. Just leave once you find a good enough job that pays relatively well lol.

Unregistered 12-02-2022 04:56 PM

Wow recently a PQE4 made a big hoo-ha in front of the managing partner during performance review. He was the top performer in 2020 but in 2021 his performance was rated below average.

He told the boss that he was the 2020 top performer but was not given a raise. Then he will just be a fair value employee aka I WILL PERFORM BASED ON HOW MUCH YOU PAY ME. If the boss pays him below market rate, then he will perform at the same level as well. Fair for two parties.

Had this fair value compensation thingy ever crossed anyone's mind? Do u think it is fair or is it damaging to the industry?

Unregistered 12-02-2022 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 202672)
Wow recently a PQE4 made a big hoo-ha in front of the managing partner during performance review. He was the top performer in 2020 but in 2021 his performance was rated below average.

He told the boss that he was the 2020 top performer but was not given a raise. Then he will just be a fair value employee aka I WILL PERFORM BASED ON HOW MUCH YOU PAY ME. If the boss pays him below market rate, then he will perform at the same level as well. Fair for two parties.

Had this fair value compensation thingy ever crossed anyone's mind? Do u think it is fair or is it damaging to the industry?

What firm. Source?

Unregistered 12-02-2022 06:03 PM

Quote:

Not surprising. If Ur boss doesn't create an environment that incentivises u to work harder, then no need to work so hard. Aft all, who works hard for nebulous things like 'passion' or 'calling'. Waste time

Unregistered 12-02-2022 06:18 PM

Quote:

Which firm, so i know to avoid lol.