Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 30-07-2017 11:33 PM

I disagree with you.

I know many GLBs who are very capable and quite a handful of them are in big 4 firms and international law firms and JLCs. Also, for moots at least one from every cohort have been representing school and winning local competitions. Also it is not uncommon that a GLB gets onto the Dean's list as well.

In fact their achievements in their very own small numbers are beyond the proportion of the general LLB cohort they are competing against.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99038)
I have friends who did the GLB, most of them only managed to secure TCs with small or medium firms. Only one person who was on the deans list once got into big 4. Somehow the GLBs just didn't do well enough in school, didn't get placed on dean's list, didn't do well in moots.

Unregistered 31-07-2017 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99093)
I disagree with you.

I know many GLBs who are very capable and quite a handful of them are in big 4 firms and international law firms and JLCs. Also, for moots at least one from every cohort have been representing school and winning local competitions. Also it is not uncommon that a GLB gets onto the Dean's list as well.

In fact their achievements in their very own small numbers are beyond the proportion of the general LLB cohort they are competing against.

How was it studying as a GLB?

Unregistered 31-07-2017 11:00 AM

If international work is the way for jobs growth

Why are law grads not entering this field?

Because they don't learn these international courses in school?

Or is the work simply too demanding so nobody wants to enter?

Unregistered 31-07-2017 11:06 AM

how is the law society addressing the glut of law graduates situation?

it has been almost half a decade

Unregistered 31-07-2017 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99036)
I just ended SMU JD. However my tc is with a very small firm which pays rather pathetic and not paying for my Part B course. The firm is also not retaining. I wonder why must I put myself through this torture.

I am in debt. I spent $70,000 on JD.

I want to know whether is the NUS Graduate Law Program students are also facing same issues as I am? Do they make it to big 4 law firms / international firms?

I graduated 2015, NUS. The GLBs in my batch mostly went to Big 4, one became a JLC and another is in CC HK now. So very different, I should say.

Unregistered 31-07-2017 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99105)
I graduated 2015, NUS. The GLBs in my batch mostly went to Big 4, one became a JLC and another is in CC HK now. So very different, I should say.

Hi all,

I am a year 2 law student looking at options. Is it better to go to CC or JLC? Seems like international work is the way to go now?

Unregistered 31-07-2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99107)
Hi all,

I am a year 2 law student looking at options. Is it better to go to CC or JLC? Seems like international work is the way to go now?

it is better to go to TSMP. The top tier firm for "Wall Street Work" in SG. They will set you up for a successful career in law.

Unregistered 31-07-2017 05:59 PM

Same, the GLBs in my batch goes to Big 4 and international firms.

Maybe SMU JD is just having big cohort but still many goes to big 4 plus international firms?

. Perhaps it's their life experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99105)

Unregistered 31-07-2017 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99107)
Hi all,

You sound as if you can get in both easily like that.

Unregistered 31-07-2017 07:05 PM

Tsmp really? Hahaha.

If you can snag JLC or intl firms, perfect. Next are the big 4s. Then the mid tiers including, in my opinion, Tsmp.

JLC and Intl firms are highly selective.